Early Finishers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by luv2teach1st, Jul 2, 2009.

1. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

I had a problem last year with some students constantly finishing early. I found myself always trying to find something else for them to do, while the other students were still working. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

My kids have 'Ketchup' folders at their desks (get it, catch up). In these folders are work that needs to be finished, monthly activity packs with brains stretchers, word searches. They can also grab a 'browse' book, a Flashmaster (electronic video-game like device for practicing math 'facts'), or play spelling hangman quietly on a white board with another student who finishes independent work.

4. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

I love the ketchup folder!! Awesome idea.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

I copied a Heinz ketchup label, changed 'Heinz' to my name and print them for the kids to glue on the folders (the folders are of course, RED!!)

6. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Jul 2, 2009

Is the work in the ketchup folder work that needs to be graded? I tried to have an unfinished work for kids to work on when they finished. However I found that many would either lose the work and I would have to have them start over and it was harder to keep up with grades when students turned things in at different times. I didn't know if they lost it never got it or were absent. Or they will end up stuffing the folder with things that don't belong

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

I don't record grades for every paper the kids complete. Mostly I just check and give a happy face or circle errors. Monthly activity packs I don't look at. Unfinished work in the folders has a time limit on it...I have 'finishing center' time during my weekly literacy centers for kids who owe me something.

8. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

How long is the time limit for the work in the folder, and what is the consequence if they do not get done in time?

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

It's a catch 22. If you make the work too exciting they will rush through the required task to get it done. I use a must do/ may do board.

The "Must Do" side lists all of the required assignments.

The "May Do" side is the options for when the must dos are complete. I limit it. I am a big fan of reading a leveled book. It's beneficial, easy to do and isn't so exciting that kids are rushing to get there.

10. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Last year when I was in first grade, I put old worksheets (extras, word searches, etc) in a purple basket and my students loved to work on that when we they were finished. I only allowed them to get items from there one at a time to minimize the distraction in the class ( I had a small room) and they could put the pages in their unfinished work folder.

11. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

I made a poster that says "I'm All Through... What Do I do?" Then each week/day (whenever you want to change it) I write about three things they can do. Exampl: Write a story/poem/song, play a math game form last week, play vocab tic tac toe with a partner. I see you have 1st grade, so you would probably need picture clues on it.

12. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 3, 2009

In Kindergarten, I try not to use a bunch of worksheets, but my teammates and I all use some. Well, we trade off because we use different ones and I put them in a folder called "Early Bird" work, because I also use it for children that arrive very early for class. Anyway, since we are all working on the same skills, the children enjoy picking out some different worksheets.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 3, 2009

15. liz31865

liz31865 New Member

Jul 5, 2009

Thanks czacza,

The Ketchup folder is a great idea!

16. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 5, 2009

Leveled books

I have a huge supply of leveled readers which they can read quietly.

17. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 5, 2009

In my class, I have challenge papers that the kids can do when they are finished. They don't have a limit to how many they can do, but they can only do each one 1 time. If they are correct they get to put a chip in the bag for a weekly drawing. I highlight their names when they are correct so they know they can't do it again. I give them as many tries as they need to get them correct. The activities vary from word puzzles, synonym/word studies, math sheets and brain teasers. There is usually something for everyone and every level. Come to think of it, the activities are from a Book called "I'm through, What Can I do" (grades 3-4) I think I got it from Scholastic.

18. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

To extend that ketchup thing a bit (and I think I've seen it discussed on this site before) you can do Mustard "Must Do", Ketchup "Catch Up" and Mayonnaise "May Do". There's a website that has a great version of these. I'll have to see if I can find it.

19. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

20. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

scholarteacher,
    Thanks for the website. It is great!

21. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

Thanks for this website.

22. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

Awesome website! Amazing they are learning Mandarin also..young children are sponges they will learn quickly.