early finishers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Elcsmith, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Aug 6, 2008

What do early finishers do in your classroom. You can only ask them to read or freewrite for so long. I would love to hear what everyone else does. Laminated practice sheets? Computers?

3. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

finished folders

I have finished folders in my room. There is a folder for every student and I keep them stored in a magazine box on the counter. If they finish something early, they can work on something out of the folder.

The first week of school, I leave out LOTS of worksheets and have the kids go "shopping" with their folders. They need to have at least 15 by the end of the week, then I "close up shop" - put them all away. I have a huge variety of things - at all different levels in areas. Some have lists of projects they can do with a novel, some are wordsearches, math practice sheets, story starters, and the ever-popular color by number (mult. and div. practice ones).

This way, they can't complain that they don't like any of the extra options - because they are the ones that choose them. They can also win coupons from Homeworkopoly for computer time, time to play a game with a friend, etc. and I let them use those when they finish things as well.