Early Field Experience?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by sabrina84, Jul 22, 2008.

1. sabrina84

sabrina84 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

Hi guys!

I'm hoping to someday switch careers to teaching. I'm currently registered for the CBEST and an informational meeting at the school where I want to get my teachers credential. I noticed that one of their requirements to get into the credential program is to have 45 hours minimum of early field experience. Do most schools require this? It seems the only way to get this experience is by volunteering as a teacher's aide through an organization. However, I work full time, so I don't see how that'd be possible. Any ideas?

My current plan is to take things one step at a time and for now focus on the things I can do - passing the CBEST and CSET, and worry about everything else later. Just curious how others have managed to pass some of these road blocks :)

3. Ladysnap

Ladysnap Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I'm not from CA, and it wasn't a requirement for the schools I looked at but they sure liked seeing it. Some of the questions on previous experience with kids included Sunday School teaching, nursery work at church, subbing at the school, working at football or other games, volunteering to help with activities at the school (even at night) or daycare work. Oh and volunteering for the girls and boys club or with other groups and helping coach some extracurricular activities. I am sure there are several ways that can be considered early field experience.

4. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

This is to get your credential? This may be a form of student teaching, but it might also be observations. It would be best to call the school and ask them waht qualifies.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2008

I had to do that. All of my work was in daycare centers, event though I was getting my license in elementary ed. You can probably find one that will stay open past your work hours or that you can go to before work. The volunteer work was spread out between three classes, so I didn't have to complete it all at one time.

6. sabrina84

sabrina84 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I'll be going to an informational meeting so I'll ask them more about that.

However, I think the requirement is to just get into the program, before you even start student teaching... And they seem very specific about it. They want you to have experience working in a multicultural class in the grade and subject you want to teach.

I don't really have any experience working with kids, so I guess I should get started with whatever I can find, and work my way up to their requirement slowly!

7. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

Hi Sabrina - You might actually be looking at the program I am currently in, or at least one very similar. The 45 hours which are included in the requirements are completed in the pre-requisite classes you take in the first quarter before your three quarters of the credential program begin. The school sets everything up for you and it's simple observation :)

Hope that helps...

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2008

Yes, I agree with Teacher MJ. You take a course that covers the early field experience. I had preschool experience, so I was able to waive that course. Good luck, and you're right to take it one step at a time or it seems overwhelming!

9. sabrina84

sabrina84 Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

Thanks so much! It's encouraging to hear it might be part of the program. I guess I should just be patient and wait until the information meeting before freaking out about requirements. :p

10. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

That makes more sense.

Another thing could be working part time at the YMCA, a girl scout/boyscout troop, big brother's/big sister's or even a local gym the ones around here often have daycare centers.

11. sabrina84

sabrina84 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Update: So I found out that you DO have to have this experience before even applying to the program. It's like that with most programs around here. I guess you have to contact your local school district and try to set up something. Difficult to do since I'm working full-time, but I'll worry about it once I get done with all the testing and such. Maybe I'll take some vacation time to do it.

12. weiseteacher

weiseteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Sabrina84,

I don't know if it is possible for you, but I use to take extended lunch breaks to go over to the elementary school twice a week. I would stay between one and two hours. I just started my day early or worked over to make up the time difference. I know most people don't have this flexibility but I thought I'd mention it just in case. If you could do this you might be able to put in your time in just a little over a month or sooner.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

13. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Sabrina.. would you mind if I asked what school on Cal you are looking at?

14. sabrina84

sabrina84 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

My current job is extremely flexible, but I'm starting a new job in about a week and will have to wait and see how they feel about that. If anything, I can just use some of my vacation time for it.