Early Entry to Kindergarten

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss Kirby, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

I have a friend whose son doesn't turn five until September 30. Today was his first day of kindergarten. I, of course, didn't know about it until a few minutes ago! :eek:hmy: I'm just so surprised that she put him in kinder so early, and that a program would take him when he will still be four for another month and a half. He is still very, very immature and I don't think he's ready for kindergarten. I asked why he wasn't put in pre-k, and she said he already was. I know for some amount of time he was in preschool there, only a couple days a week. I don't know... but based on what I've seen he isn't ready for kindergarten. :eek: But what can I say..... I think I already told her how I felt about it last year, so she probably didn't tell me until now because she didn't want to hear it! Last year she also told me that she just couldn't wait for him to be in school full time so she wouldn't have to worry about day care. Yeah, great reason to put your kid in school so early. When he's turning 5, his friends will be turning six, and it will be like that all through his school years. :unsure:

It's a private kindergarten program through Tutor time. I don't know much about it but I was looking it up online. Next year he'll be going into a first grade as a five year old. I am really feeling for his teachers..

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

Yeah, if he isn't ready, that probably isn't going to be a good thing for him or his teachers!

On the other hand, sometimes kids are ready early--my birthday isn't until November, and yet I started when I was still 4. It never was a big deal to me that I was the youngest in my class, and I was always more mature than my peers. I only went to preschool 3 mornings a week, but that was pretty much the standard then.

My sister also started when she was 4; her birthday is mid-Sept.--only one day after the cut-off date. She is a little more immature, but that is also probably her personality and the fact that she is the baby of the family.

Hopefully, for his sake, he's more ready than he seems. If it's only for mom's convenience, I feel bad...

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

Honestly, I don't think he's ready. But maybe he'll do better than I think. The cut off date for my school district (and the district she lives in) is Sept 1, which means he'd have to turn 5 by August 31 to enroll in kindergarten. That's a month behind... What is going to happen if he goes to first grade in a public school next year?

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

That's an interesting question. I wonder if the fact that he successfully completed kindergarten already would be sufficient for them. Maybe after a year in a structured setting he will be closer to being ready.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2009

I agree your friend probably didn't want to hear your input. You gave it to her already last year. He may or may not do well in K- it's a private kindergarten, maybe he'll go to public K next year. If the school took him, they must have a later cut-off than other schools and he'll probably have other classmates in the same age-range as he. I'd let it go if you value your friendship- :2cents:

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

That's true, there will probably be younger kids in his class too. Don't know what will happen next year though.. But you're right, I need to let it go. It's not my kid! i need to just put my teacher self aside and wish the best for them!

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

One of my best friends, also a teacher, had her child skip a grade. She is now entering middle school at 9...with a November birthday, so she'll be nine for another 3 and a half months. We had a November 30 cutoff back then. Middle school at nine....
    Kim

9. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I went to kindergarten before I was 5...actually both my sister and I did. Her birthday is November 19 and mine is November 30 and our school's cutoff date is December 1st. We both made it barely. Try going to college when you are only 17 and still being to young to drive after 9:00 p.m. because I was not 18 (silly NYS law). To be honest, I do not think that it is fair to judge a student base solely on their age. Both my sister and I were more than ready for kindergarten and were well prepared. While I know that is not the same for all students with a late birthday. I wasn't even the youngest person in my grade, as we had another boy who skipped a grade. Frankly, I think it depends on how much support the student has received before kindergarten and the type of support they will receive thruoghout kindgarten.

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

Yeah, that's kind of a concern.

11. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Interesting.

I've been thinking about student birthdays lately as well, because I got to peek at my class list last week. Of the 22 students I already have, only 4 of them have birthdays before winter break. :eek: The rest all have birthdays in 2010, with many of them having birthdays during the summer and in August/September. (A very young class.)

We don't start school until September 9, so there will be more enrollments before then. I'll be interested to see what other birthdays are added to my class, and how the class seems this year.

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

I have a lot of late summer birthday this year as well! But I have two July birthday kids who just turned 8. So those kids went to school a year later than they "should have" according to cut off dates.

Last year, one of my best students, and most mature kids, was born the day before the cut off! It's interesting. Kids just mature differently.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2009

In my district children have to be 6 to enter 1st grade. Regardless of where they attended school the year before, if they are 5 they will be placed in K.

14. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I started K5 when I was four, all it did was put me ahead of my peers. I don't know how my mom pulled that off as my birthday isn't even in September.

15. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

Our district absolutely will not take them early. No exceptions. ( deadline is 5 by Sept. 1st) I know is causes great concern and distress for many parents who just can't wait for their kids to go to kindergarten. There is only one way around it here- the private Christian schools will take them younger, so the parents pay for one year of private school, then put them into first grade in the district the following year.

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

So the district will take them into first grade, even though they are five?

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2009

It depends on the child.

Four years ago, I had a brilliant girl who was 8 through the end of November (typical age for 4th graders is 9-10), but she was always at the top of her class. Brilliant, brilliant girl. Yet I have seen students in nearly the same situation who could have benefited from the extra year.

18. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I don't know about other states, but here in PA, we have Private Kindergartens, those that are licensed by the DOE, but in places like pre-schoos (like you've indicated). The rules and cutoff dates for these programs are very different than that of school district. The cut off date for children to enter a PRIVATE kindergarten is 4 years 6 months, so yes, they can start it at 4 1/2. Then, most of the school districts I have dealt with will take them into first grade the following year for completing a private program. Now...Not all children are ready, but that is how parents are, and when they are paying for it in this instance, there is not much you can do about it...

19. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

here in NJ the cut off dates are not all the same, but around me they are around either 9/30 or 10/30. I believe in CT it is calendar year cut off, so he would not even be the youngest.

I just looked at my class list birthdays, and I have 5 birthdays between 8/27/04 and 10/01/04, so they are all just turning 5 too right? hmm young class I suppose.

then I have a pile of July bdays too.

20. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

If your friend's kid doesn't fair so well, can't he repeat?