Early Ed Grading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Torgie, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Torgie

Torgie Rookie

Oct 26, 2016

I was wondering how Kindergarten, 1st grade, even 2nd grade teachers grade their students. Do you keep a grade book? If so, what type of assignments do you keep in there throughout the grading period? Do you grade very assignment? Do you do an assessment for the report cards to determine their grades? Any help is appreciated. I am just curious how other teachers do it. I think this is different than traditional grading because you want to foster the student's love for school and keep learning developmentally appropriate.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 27, 2016

No, I do not grade every assignment. I fairly pick and choose, though generally anything that in my head is "assessment" I grade. I have an online gradebook, and I'm happy enough to let that spit out a letter grade.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2016

I unofficially / informally "grade" daily work and then only formally grade tests or major projects at the end after we've truly spent a large amount of time learning the material. I'm NEVER going to grade an exit ticket as a 4,3,2, or 1 and put it into the grade book, but it will let me know how my kids did.
    And we had School Tool, which is an online grade book that we HAD to use to print out progress reports & report cards.