Early commitment letter and contract

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher16, Jun 22, 2017.

1. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Jun 22, 2017

Hello,

About how long does one sign a contract after signing the early commitment letter? I signed my letter on May 22 but still have not signed my contract. I emailed HR and they said I would sign it soon and they would be in touch but still nothing. I'll be a first-year career switcher so this is all new to me.

Until I sign the contract should I still apply and interview? I have already declined a job offer while waiting.

Thanks!

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jun 22, 2017

Based on my experience, YES, you should still apply and interview. However, when you sign your contract can vary wildly based on your district. I would ask someone in the district you intend to work in when contracts are usually signed for the year. It's a weird position to be in, having accepted a job but not having a contract in hand, but congratulations!

4. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Jun 22, 2017

Thank you! I told my soon-to-be supervisor and he was just like "Oh, you're good. It's fine". I just don't think I'll feel confident until I sign.

5. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jun 22, 2017

Yeah, I totally get that. At some point, you may have to make a judgement call on whether you trust what they are telling you. I mean, it's possible that the school year could begin before you get your contract (hopefully not, but it does happen this way sometimes). But right now, in June, I'd keep the job search going just in case it falls through.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 22, 2017

I used to work in a district where we signed contracts for the current year in April. If you've signed the commitment letter, you are fine.

7. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Jun 22, 2017

That's crazy because once someone is recommended to the board here, they sign the contract the same day.

8. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jun 22, 2017

In my district all new teachers sign contracts and sign up for insurance at a Human Resources orientation in July. If hired later they have orientations teacher work week.