early childhood ed -will i have trouble getting a job?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by njmom179, Sep 23, 2009.

1. njmom179

njmom179 New Member

Sep 23, 2009

I was going to apply to a post bacclaurette (sp?) program for early childhood education. I studied for and took the praxis 0022. Now im re-thinking things because I was wondering will i be able to get a job in the public schools or not..I was wondering this since i would only be certified for p-3 and wouldnt be able to move around to the higher grades should the need arise. So my question is, will it be much harder to get a job in the public school system if i go for the Early childhood Ed cert. or should i study and take the 0014 praxis and try to get into the elementary education post baccleaurette program at St. Elizabeth's college in NJ????? Thanks!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 23, 2009

I was an EC major. I don't like the older kids, so even if I could be moved around to them, I really don't feel I'd be a good fit for them. OK, i LIKE the older kids, but in smaller doses than would be required to teach there...

In my EC program, one of our professors told us that she's had principals specifically asking for EC people to teach K, because we're more developmentally centered... there have been other districts where for anything other than PreK, they are only looking at El Ed majors. I had one district tell me that unless it's PReK, they refuse to hire anyone that's EC because then they "can't move them around."

My love is PreK anyway, so an El Ed degree wouldn't have done it for me...

Is it harder to get a job? Maybe, maybe not... depends what the P's want at the time they're hiring. I think it comes down to asking yourself what grades you want to/would be willing to teach... do you want PreK/K, or lower elementary... would you totally hate teaching 4th or 5th? I think your answers lie there.

Is there a possibility of adding a second certification onto your main one? I know I only had to take 3 classes on my EC to have all the El Ed requirements met... I still have'nt taken the test, so I'm not positive that it still holds from 7 years ago, but it might be worth checking in to...

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 23, 2009

Any elementary school job in NJ is hard to get from what I hear from the NJ job seekers on the board. Assuming you have no issues with teaching 4-6, I'd go for the K-6 vs. early childhood just to open up more opportunities for jobs to apply to.

5. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 23, 2009

I would strongly suggest K-6. Jobs at the Prek level are hard to find here.(Public PreK seems to pay better than private.) My PreK was closed because of budget reasons. Fortunately I also had K-6 certification so I was moved to 4th grade and then the next year had to go to 5th. I found that I loved it. I hold 3 certifications(PreK-3, K-6 and Special Needs which in my school I needed to teach PreK). Check your area. How many job openings are listed? Good luck to you!! I'm back in the lower grades again and love it. I guess I am just happy being with kids. (NEVER thought I would enjoy 4/5th)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2009

Early childhood only? And in NJ?

The short answer is, yes, you'll probably have a very hard time finding a jo. Even in a good economic climate, elementary ed market is incredibly competitive in the tri-state area.

Go for any and all certifications that will make you more marketable.

Oh, and welcome to A to Z!!

7. teachermegs

teachermegs Rookie

Sep 23, 2009

I am ec and taught preschool and 1- 3rd. My p told me I should take the k-6 test, but I like it in 2nd

8. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 23, 2009

It'll be hard to find a job until 2013 with an EDEC degree here in NJ (when mandatory preschools are implemented)

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 23, 2009

There were loads of EC positions in the philly this year. I thought I would like to teach the little guys, but now that I teach 4th I don't think I could teach any lower. I couldn't deal with the, "Can you tie my shoe" a million times a day...lol 4th graders know how to tie their shoes.

10. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Sep 23, 2009

Follow your heart. I have an ECE degree here in CO. Jobs are very competitive and I'm working at an award-winning district. I had a job at a charter school teaching 1st, was offered an admin position at that school, was offered 1st grade at a public school and was offered a pre-k position at a public school.....all at the same time. I'm not bragging, my point is that if you are passionate and do your best, it'll all work out in the end. I have had several admin. folks say that they LOVE ECE folks because they really feel we are super child-centered, developmentally appropriate, hands-on, etc. In my school, out of 11 primary teacher, 2 of us are ECE. Good luck to you!

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 24, 2009

Around here, 4-year-old kindergarten is quickly growing. Last summer when I was applying for jobs, I applied for 4K jobs because the job market was so horrible (even though I really wanted elementary). It was easier for me to get interviews for 4K because I had a 4-year degree (I think only a 2 year degree is required). I was offered 2 4K jobs, so I would consider it an easier job market than elementary.

12. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 24, 2009

Out of curiosity what does a starting position for a 4K pay?

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 24, 2009

If you're in public school, it's generally the same as what a K-6 tacher would make (at least everywhere I've been).

Don't let job market, or lack thereof, keep you from following your heart... if you REALLY want to teach PreK, preschool, K4, etc, do the EC degree. If you would rather do 1st, 2nd, 3rd, do the El Ed degree. :)

14. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 24, 2009

Sorry, my question was actually directed toward Driving Pigeon.

Around here you could get easily get a job as a K or PreK teacher in a private setting. The jobs pay between $8-10/hr. In a public school setting the starting pay is $35,000 (41,000 with a masters). It isn't just about the money but I think thought should be given to salaries when completing a 4 yr degree.

I have done both private and public PreK and loved it, no doubt! No certification/degree was required for private. I also checked into a private K job and even with state certification the pay was only $10/hr. Public is the way to go but jobs don't seem to be that plentiful.

So, I'm just curious as to the pay in other states for the same type of job. Public vs. Private

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 24, 2009

I'm honestly not sure-they never talked salary with me. One position was in a private, Lutheran elementary school, and the other was at a daycare center. Both jobs were public 4K positions, but they were all off-site (meaning not at actual elementary schools). It was really confusing...I would be working for the place that hired me, but I would have been teaching the public 4K curriculum. The private school and the daycare would be in charge of my salary and benefits, so I'm guessing it wouldn't have been that great!

My district just started 4K this year. ALL classes are held in daycare facilities. The daycare centers do the hiring and determine their own pay.

16. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 24, 2009

Thanks for the reply! I absolutely love the little ones! However when I was only a part time teacher in a private school and I was offered a position as a public there was no choice between the two in terms of salary. I was very saddened when the preschool closed especially since we all know that early intervention is key. I was extremely glad to have my K-6 as a backup or I would have been out of a job. Good luck to you!!!