Early Childhood Degree

Discussion in 'General Education' started by NewTeacher12345, Jun 5, 2020.

1. NewTeacher12345

NewTeacher12345 Rookie

Jun 5, 2020

I have a few questions about earning another degree. I am currently certified for Elementary 1-6, but have interest in teaching K and Pre-K. Has anyone ever gone back for an early childhood degree after getting an elementary level degree or vice versa? Would I have to go get another entire bachelors degree and student teach again, or is there an easier way around it?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 5, 2020

NewTeacher12345,
    You need to check with your state department of education. I've worked in 3 states, and in 2 of them, it was just an add-on endorsement. In the other one, it was just 2 classes and an add-on endorsement. Get the specifics from YOUR state DOE, because every single state has different requirements. I can't imagine any state making you get an entire new bachelor's degree or redo student teaching to add it. That would be ludicrous if you are already certified in 1-6, elementary ed.

bella84 likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 6, 2020

Yes, you need to check with your state. It’s different everywhere. I truly lucked into my ECE certification. The state where I earned my initial certification considered elementary to be K-9. Then, when I transferred my certification to my current state, they automatically gave me an ECE certification because their elementary certification only covered grades 1-6. Since I was certified to teach K in the first state, they thought I should be certified to teach K in the second state, and they gave me the certification, simple as that. In general, though, I think it’s just an add-on certification achieved by taking a test.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 6, 2020

That happened for me, too. I felt a little better about it because my associates is in Early Childhood Development, and is basically the equivalent of a CDA. (It's an AA, instead, because I wanted to continue to my BA.) But I at least have a strong background in ECE, and probably could have passed the Praxis if they made me take it. Of course, I teach high school now, so...

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 8, 2020

I had a friend who looked into it last year. ( Pre- K) She would have had to go back to school for 2 years. She was certified for K-6. Like others mentioned, every state is probably different. Also, it is possible districts are too. I think she may have been able to teach Pre K in a much less desirable district with her degree, extra coursework she'd taken, and probably a test. That part, I am not sure about.