Ear piercings...?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissWull, Mar 23, 2008.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 23, 2008

I didn't think about this until the other day. I'm wondering if it will be a factor in me not getting a teaching job. Let me know what you guys think.

I have my ears pierced on the earlobes twice on each side (although I only wear one earring on each ear now). But I also have both ears pierced once on the inside, with a small hoop. I had it done YEARS ago...about 6, and quite honestly I forget I have them most of the time.

I'm wondering if I should have them taken out? I would have to go to a piercing shop to have it done, but it's worth it if I get a teaching job. I personally don't think they're that big of a deal...but that's just one opinion! Let me know what you guys think...I'll include a picture, or link to one if I can...to get more of a visual.

http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/01-ear/A80207/high/noxu-daith.jpg

3. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Mar 23, 2008

I don't know if they are hurting your chances, but thet certainly are not helping them. They wouldn't sway my decision either way to hire you, but they might with some admin.

4. JustT

JustT Comrade

Mar 23, 2008

I like to remember the ol' advice I got years ago. Don't order something that cost more than the interviewer or wear something more expensive than his/her attire. Sooooooo.... with that said, I would take the piercing off unless you catch a glimps of an interviewer wearing the same ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2008

I think the two piercings in the lobe are fine. I've seen teachers wear two earrings in the ears and I don't think it would hurt your chances. The inner earring I might consider taking out for interview chances.

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 24, 2008

I have 2 in the lobe, and 2 in cartilage. The ones in cartilage were put in by a piercer at a tattoo studio. I have no clue how to take them out. I just wore my hair in a way that covered part of my ear. I don't know if it worked or not, but I tried.
    Current principal never said anything to me about it, and we are required to dress in a professional manner.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2008

I think it would be enough to cover them with your hair. If you can't do that, I do recommend removing them. You'd hate to not get a job just because of some piercings, you know?

Good luck! :)

8. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Mar 24, 2008

Honestly, if a school isn't going to hire me because I have 3 holes in my left ear and two in my right, then are they really going to let me be myself in my classroom? Probably not.

If a school is going to judge me by my accessories and not by my education, compassion, and general personality, then I probably don't want to work there.

I don't know where the rest of you are, but here in Southern California most people have tattoos and/or piercings of some sort. Not everyone is covered by both, people from all walks of life accessorize their bodies in many ways. I've seen grandmas with multiple ear piercings. People are gonna have to get over this hangup someday.

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 24, 2008

I do live in S.California...and I have seem a fair amount of teachers with tattoos, I can't say the same for piercings. I have also seen teachers with, unique hair colorings...BUT they have been at the school for years. This would be my first year...I think I may just take them out... :( Thanks for the advice!

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 24, 2008

I would say to wear your hair down if possible, then, once you have the position, feel out the other faculty to see if it will be a big deal. I wouldn't imagine that something this minor would affect an interviewer's opinion of your teaching ability, but stranger things have happened. :)

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 24, 2008

I always thought it was best to wear hair up during an interview....? Or am I mistaken? I hear and read so many things in different places, I get confused I know! hehe.

12. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 24, 2008

Stop following the masses.....what about people with short hair, how they gonna manage to get their hair up? therefore, your statement is not valid.

I think as long as you dress comfortably and professionally you sell your self to be a success. Shouldn't be any prob. But sometimes we way we are clad can give a negative impression.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2008

MissWull, I hadn't heard that about the hair. I've always worn my down and it hasn't had any bearing on my being hired.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2008

Yeah, I never heard about the hair thing either. As long as it's clean and combed and you don't have hair falling in your eyes, covering your face, I'm sure it should be fine if it's down.

15. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Mar 24, 2008

Make sure your hair is neat, and not hanging in your face. Also, if it's down and you're likely to play with it, that wouldn't be good. A lot of people don't even realize how often they reach up and touch their hair. If you're not sure, ask others around you to watch and see how often you're rearranging your hair when it's down. Maybe experiment with some sort of clip to keep it off your face but still down.

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2008

I've always heard that your hair is fine as long as it's neat and not covering your face and like Steph-ernie said it's important to play with your hair. Because I tend to play with my hair when I am nervous I just put it in a low ponytail to be safe.

17. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 25, 2008

Ouch. I don't think I do follow the masses actually. So does that mean, if I hear tips about interviewing I shouldn't follow them because that's what the masses do? I think not, I take advice as I want and if I agree I'll adhere to it...see how it works for me. Anyway, I wear my hair half-way up. Obviously people who have hair so short that they couldn't possibly put up would be apparent to the interviewers.

That's a good thing to hear about hair, maybe I'll think about wearing it down next time. :)

18. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 25, 2008

I think as long as you look professional and well groomed you will be fine. :)

Hope I didnt offend ya.

19. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 25, 2008

That sounds good.

You seemed a little blunt at first, but I know people here have good intentions. ;)

20. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

I had my septum (middle of the nose) pierced, wonder how that would go over in an interview ;) :whistle:

21. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 27, 2008

Haha, not so well I'm sure! I used to have my tongue pierced...I'm sure that would go over just about as well as your nose! ;)

Funny thing is, I got it pierced when I was 20. My mom said she'd kick me out (I knew she was bluffing 100%), I did it anyway and my parents were the only ones that didn't know. I would take it out sometimes if I knew I would be with them both for a long period of time. But when I was 23 and finally moved out, I had taken it out for a job interview and then forgot to ever put it back in and the thing closed up!

22. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

yeah my lip was pierced back in the day. I took it out for an hour long job interview, and it didn't close all the way, but just enough so it was painful/bleeding trying to get the ring back in. I was like "forget it" and just let it close all the way. I didn't get the job either, even though they told me they liked me ,and I was "basically gonna be hired" >:O My students always tell me I must be really boring out of the classroom, if only they could have seen me like 5 years ago haha.

23. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2008

You should wear your hair down. I always wear my hair down and I have no problem getting a job. I don't think anyone would pay attention to the ear piercings anyway, unless you had an excessive amount of piercings in your ears. Now the septum, that's kind of noticable.

24. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Mar 29, 2008

Last year I taught with a math teacher who had her tongue pierced. She didn't wear it at school, though. I should also point out that she was an Air Force reserve also.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 29, 2008

Good heavens: tongue piercings are in accord with 35-10? (Or whatever the AF grooming regulation is called these days.)

Chicken that I am, I can't even imagine having my ears pierced.

26. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Mar 29, 2008

I think she had a clear plastic thing she'd put in when she first got her tongue pierced. They gave her a hard time, but put up with it. *shrug*

And ears are easy! Other places are (probably) a different story. I only have my ears pierced, so I wouldn't know.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 29, 2008

Then again, I spent a good deal of my childhood having my ears reamed out with a wire tipped with cotton; one was expected in those far-off days to agree that it didn't hurt, whether or not that were true; so perhaps a certain skittishness about my ears and sharp things in the propinquity thereof can be forgiven?

28. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Mar 29, 2008

TG Eeeek! *shiver* Though, you know.... if 18 year olds in the mall are able to pierce your ear... it has to be safe.

Right? :D

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2008

Mine didn't close for a month! I had it working at the school district I now teach for. But I was working at the high school. Now I take out my earring at the top of my ear when I have interviews. I always wear my hair up because I tend to play with it. Someone told me I look to uptight with it up so I now braid it loosely.

30. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 29, 2008

I have the same piercing as the OP, but only in one ear. I have had it for 8 years. I'll be playing it safe and removing it for job fairs and interviews. I'd rather have a job than an earring, but I WILL miss it :(

31. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 29, 2008

Oh, mine didn't close up for a long time either. I would say it was well over a month...maybe even closer to 3. Tongue piercings don't close up as quickly just because the mouth is so moist -- so its harder to close than piercing on the outer body. I was so used to wearing it and not noticing it that when I took it out I didn't even realize for months later...strange.

32. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Mar 29, 2008

I'm not sure what it's like in California, but here in New Jersey, it's extremely difficult to find a teaching job (in public or private schools). When I was interviewing for jobs last summer, I did everything I could to give a great first impression... and rule of thumb for ANY job interview: the more conservative, the better. I went to my job interviews in skirt suits (collared shirt underneath), closed toe pumps, stockings, hair up (and neat), minimal makeup, minimal jewelry (pearls)... you get the idea. When interviewing for a job, you really do not want to risk not getting a job because of a silly earring.

But that's just me.

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2008

Oh, please. Schools have philosophies, and curriculum guides, and packaged literacy and math programs...sure in most cases you can bring your creativity and own 'spin' to these things but for the most part districts are looking for a 'good fit' when they are interviewing candidates for teaching positions. You never have a second chance to make a first impression.