e portfolio

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Sub2Teach, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Dec 27, 2006

I've been hearing about these e portfolios and discs and I was wondering how I could get started in creating one. Does anyone have a sample one or a list they used to create an e portfolio? I would like to send one out with my application packets. What program do you use to make them?

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2006

I created one in powerpoint, I turned important documents into pdf files using primo pdf (a free program available online), so when the files were clicked on they endlarged into the full doc ready to print. I added in links to powerpoints I created for the classroom, united streaming videos I used, lesson plans, and photos of my students and my teaching. I included everything you would put into a regular portfolio, just in a technology based format.

If you have more questions just pm me

4. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Dec 27, 2006

I did the same as wldywall. I used PowerPoint and created a slide show. I just scanned my transcripts, certifications, lesson units, etc. into a .pdf file and created links to them within the presentation. I had a table of contents page which had links to each of the areas (i.e. certifications) for quickly going to what they wanted to look at. When you save the PowerPoint to a cd you use the "package for CD" feature, and choose the option to keep your fonts and links. I had a lot of comments on it and it shows your use of technology!

5. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Dec 28, 2006

Do you think that HR takes the time to view e-portfolio's? If they do then I would be up for making one. Is it worth the time?
    Would love the input.
    Thanks
    justine

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2006

It doesn't matter if they view it, it matters that you make one. I know two principles that viewed mine and several others were just impressed that I included one. So go ahead and do it, it is something many other people do not do and it will help you stand out.

7. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Dec 28, 2006

Personally, I skipped HR with this stuff. I got desperate and started sending them directly to the principals, handing them over in person when I would go into the school office. Even the district I'm with now, is very strict about applying online only, not mailing stuff to principals, but I did it anyway. I went through 4 interviews before I got this job and I had that CD each time to show them. If they wanted to keep it to view, I let them. Once again, I agree with wldywall!

8. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Dec 28, 2006

Thanks for all the input. You've given me the motivation to begin making an e-portfolio. I don't currently have powerpoint, so I'm thinking of buying the program or the new microsoft office home and student edition. It has that one on it as well as few other programs. Does powerpoint help you in making the links? After you go to the primo pdf site, does it let you choose documents you want to use? Do you have a link to the site or do you just look on google? I was looking for it the other day and few links popped up. Do you think its better to send cds with resume or wait until your called for an interview? I appreciate all your help.

9. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Dec 28, 2006

I bought the student edition of Microsoft Office when I was still in college. It helped because it had all the programs I needed to do my work at school. It is much cheaper and sometimes you can find it at your college bookstore.

To make the links, just highlight the words you want to link to another page and right click, then click on "hyperlink" and tell it which page to go to.

I don't know anything about the primo pdf site. I just used my scanner to scan documents into my computer and then save them in .pdf format. On my e-folio, these documents stayed separate and the hyperlink pulled them up to view when clicked. When you package for CD through PowerPoint, it will include all the files you are linking to through your slide show.

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2006

Primo pdf is a free program and at first when you install it it will confuse you, but it will show up in your printer options, so go to word, go to printer options (or to your scanning/photo program for docs you have to scan in like recommendation letters, which they will can and put on disk for you at office max, staples or kinkos) and then select primo pdf and it will do it for you, and then do a save as, and you are done.

For microsoft powerpoint you may find it free to use at the library.

Good luck.

11. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jan 2, 2007

Thanks again!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get started!!!!!!!!!