E-mailing someone you previously contacted

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gutterballjen, Jun 14, 2012.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jun 14, 2012

I have two situations that basically revolve around the same thing. When e-mailing someone you've already e-mailed or talked to about a job, how do you let them know you're interested in other positions that opened up?

Situation 1
    I e-mailed a principal about a kindergarten position last week. She replied saying the position was already filled. Now there's a third grade position open there. Naturally, I want to be considered for that but I don't want to send her the same cover letter and resume.

Situation 2
    In February, I interviewed for a first grade long-term position. The interview team (all 10 of them!) and I really seemed to get along well, and was asked to sub for one of the teachers the next day. I really liked this school, but by the time they offered me the LTS, I already accepted another LTS position. At this point, I have no idea if there are even any positions open, but I'm going to mail them a packet anyway. I know I should include my standard cover letter, but should I add something to the beginning mentioning the interview or add it as a separate note?

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I really appreciate it!

3. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 14, 2012

For #1, maybe you could start by congratulating the p on finding just the right person for ___ grade. Tell p that you love the school and name some specific reasons why. Then, add that you would be interested in his/her consideration of you for the ____ postion.
    For #2, I would put in a separate note. Maybe on teacher-y stationary.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

I would resend your cover letter and resume in situation 1. I would let them know you are interested in the new position. The thing is that they probably don't even remember you as you were one of many candidates.

For the second, I would write something along the lines of why you are excited about the school specifically as you have interviewed and subbed there. They will most likely remember your name.

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 14, 2012

For both situations, I would add a sentence or two near the beginning of your cover letter acknowledging that you previously spoke/met with the school/principal/X about a position. And of course, tailor the cover letter to the specific position you are applying for.

In the second situation specifically, it might help you to include the positive experience you had when you last interviewed and were offered a position at that school. You don't have to get into why you didn't take the job, but it would be good to jog their memories since you all got along well.

Good luck!