E-mailed a parent...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by smiley, Aug 28, 2007.

1. smiley

smiley New Member

Aug 28, 2007

Hi! In the beginning of the year I send home a form asking parents how they would like me to contact them. I write:
    Please Check Box to Indicate What You'd Prefer:
    [ ] E-mail me (I check my e-mail often). Never call.
    [ ] Call me. Never e-mail.
    [ ] I'd prefer e-mail, but you can call.
    [ ] I'd prefer a call, but you can e-mail.
    I had a parent who checked the first box. Her daughter is having some trouble and I would like to discuss with her some strategies that we could use to help the child. I e-mailed her explaining I saw her daughter was having a little bit of trouble, that I knew she was trying hard and that if we got in touch and helped her I was sure everything would become easier for her and to write back. I e-mailed her a month ago and I never got a response. I'm wondering if I maybe offended her but saying her daughter was having trouble. Unfortunately I have AOL while she has another internet provider so I can't check the status of the e-mail. However I never got an error message saying my e-mail wasn't sent so I'm pretty sure that it was. I've checked my spam mail too and I have not received any e-mail from her. Do you think that even though I never got an error message, there could be a good chance she didn't get it?

3. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

I'd call her. Explain that you did email her, but got no response and you are very keen to meet with her. She really couldn't object.

4. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 28, 2007

It could be that since you were a new email, it may have sent it to her spam file. I have a friend that is constantly having this problem.
    Call her.

Good luck!! :)

5. smiley

smiley New Member

Aug 28, 2007

Well actually I have e-mailed her before. I usually call or e-mail (whatever the preference) the parent as a welcome and introduce myself...and she replied to that one.

6. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 28, 2007

Hmmmm, that adds some to it then. Maybe call the parent and mention the email and go from there. Maybe be careful in future emails with her to just state that you would like to schedule a chance to talk, etc.

Good luck!

7. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

You could try forwarding the last message again with an addition that you are concerned that she may not have received the message as you had no response. Then you could add that you will call by the end of the week in case your messages have gone astray.

This gives the mum the chance to get back to you in case it has slipped her mind.

8. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

I would send it again and tell her that you aren't sure if the first one went through or not. Then if you still do not get a response, I would call. I'm just curious......why would a parent check that they would never want to be called by their child's teacher?

9. smiley

smiley New Member

Aug 30, 2007

I wonder the same thing. Our principal asks that we give parents the choice because he's had some complaints from a few parents that they didn't want to be called at home. Not many check that box though. I think I've only ever had two do so (including the one this year). I don't know about this one but the other one wrote a note back to me on the form explaining that she only checked the box because she worked nights. I assume it's probably a similar type situation for this one...

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 30, 2007

If/when you do re-send the e-mail, set it up to return a "read receipt" to you when it is opened. I hope you can do this on AOL. It's a great tool.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2007

I'm sure she got the email. However, in some instances it is necessary to call. You should call now... waiting a month for a response is way too long. You don't owe her an apology for calling, simply state that you want to help her daughter as soon as possible and you needed to speak with her right away.

You are the teacher using your professional judgement. Document all communication from now on.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2007

I agree; it's time to call.
    And remove that "never" from next year's options.

13. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Aug 31, 2007

I agree. Also, you never know with computers, things go wrong and you don't always get an fatal error report on emails not recieved.