E-Mail Rejection Letters

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bseballchick, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Oct 1, 2009

Hi all,
    I've been looking for Special Ed. openings in my area for almost 2 months now-ever since I was bumped due to budget cuts.
    I've not had much luck finding openings to apply to and have been VERY frustrated. Recently, I found 3 positions to apply to. In the last week, I've received 2 e-mail rejection letters from the districts. I am totally lost and blown away by this. I didn't even get selected for interviews!! I have over 7 years experience in my own classrooms in both self-contained and resource positions. I have all the requirements, and then some. I'm 2 classes away from my Master's in Special Ed. I have more than 5 letters of recommendation and great evaluations. How was I not even selected for an interview?? I can take rejection if I was interviewed and blew it, or there were just great candidates up against me. However, I can't even wrap my mind around this!
    My question is this: Can I or should I respond to this rejection e-mail and inquire as to why I wasn't even selected to interview?
    Has anyone else run up against stuff like this? What did you do? I feel like such a loser. I've never had trouble like this before, and so I guess I'm in a bit of shock. I'm worried that this is going to keep happening and don't know the reason. Hoping for advice on this. When I got the last message this afternoon, I wanted to write that woman back so bad and let her have it! Then, I took a deep breath and decided to ask you guys what your thoughts/experiences were! Yeah, I'm a bit frustrated...
    Thanks in advance!

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2009

I've had rejection e-mails for positions that I haven't interviewed for. Honestly I appreciated that the district let me know that the position was filled. There is just a lot of competition out there that it would hard to get an interview for every position that's posted that you're qualified for. Also, sometimes the job is already filled and they just have to post the position.

It is frustrating! Yesterday I was going through a pile of mail that I had saved since the beginning of summer (I had read all of these things before, but I hadn't bothered to throw out the junk mail) and the amount of rejection letters in that pile became depressing!

4. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Oct 1, 2009

I am sorry to hear that you were not invited to interview. The two school districts are really the losers; it sounds as if you far exceeded their requirements!

I wouldn't reply to rejection e-mails, as these are often sent by automated systems. I wouldn't ask for a reason, either, as hiring managers rarely divulge such information.

However, if you can identify the specific hiring manager for each position -- a school principal, the superintendent of personnel, the special education director, etc. -- then there is no harm in mailing a thank-you card. Neatly handwrite a message like the following:

October 2, 2009

Dear Mrs. Shoulda-Hired-Me:

Thank you for considering my application for the __________ position, and for informing me when the position was filled.

As you know, I have 7 years' experience in the classroom and will receive my M.Ed. in Special Education from Stanford University in December. [Edit details as necessary. Boast a little bit! Mentioning a graduation date is helpful.] With this combination of experience and training, I would be able to dramatically improve IEP compliance in your school. [Pick a "benefit" and relate it to your background. A "benefit" is something specific that you could accomplish for your employer; ideally, it comes straight out of the job description.]

Please consider me for future vacancies. I am enclosing a resume for your file.

Yours truly,

Mrs. Bseballchick
    [E-mail address]
    [Phone number]

5. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Oct 1, 2009

Thanks for the advice. The problem is, the e-mail said I wasn't selected to interview. Not that the position had been filled. I could deal with that better I think! But, to be told I wasn't "selected" to interview, really makes me angry. The e-mail comes from and gives the name of the Director of HR.
    I so wanted to reply to her and ask her why I wasn't selected. I really want to know! It's driving me crazy to think that someone thinks I am not qualified enough when I've worked my tail off all these years and proven myself in both districts I worked for.
    This is really messing with my self-esteem and making me depressed. For weeks, there weren't any postings. I finally find a couple, and can't even get an interview? I guess there really is no hope. When I tell people in my family that I wasn't even selected to interview, they don't get it at all. Since I've never dealt with this before, that's why I wanted to find out if it's happened to others and if they ever contacted the HR people to find out why they weren't selected to interview.
    Anyway, thanks for replying and for the kind words guestteacher!

6. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Oct 2, 2009

Two discreet ideas would be:

1. To chat up a receptionist or secretary in the human resources department, when bringing in an application for another position; and

2. To find out whatever you can about the people who are ultimately hired. It helps if the schools/districts post staff lists on their Web sites, but you could also "cold call" and ask for the name of the special education teacher. Once you have a name, you can look up the person's credential(s) on the CTC Web site. You can tell a lot from the types of credentials (e.g., "life" => an old-timer), the endorsements, and the issue dates. You could even flatter the teacher by requesting an informational interview, during which you could find out how long he or she had been teaching, where he or she went to school, and so on.

It probably isn't useful to speculate, but definitely keep in mind these job search barriers:

- inside jobs - the person has already been identified and the job posting was only a formality

- cost - with 7 years' experience, graduate credits, and soon, a master's degree, you might "cost" the district $10,000-$15,000 more per year than a beginner (Wouldn't value be a better measure than cost?!)

Keep your spirits up and apply to other districts!

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 2, 2009

It hurts to not even get selected for interviews. I have many an e-mail in my inbox from those. It's ok to be angry. It could be for many reasons. Personally, I wouldn't even respond to it. I would just let it go. They won't tell you and you could accidentally come off as desperate and you don't want that.

8. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Oct 2, 2009

Matgrad-Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who had ever encountered this! I feel more than angry...I feel hopeless. I can't get a job outside of teaching, and I can't even get an interview in my field! I've never encountered this before. To have them send me an e-mail saying I wasn't even selected for an interview, just boggles my mind. I honestly don't know what else I can do?! And, I am desperate, but agree that I don't want to come off that way! I just would really love to know why I wasn't selected, and what I need to do to address this problem. I feel like I shouldn't even bother to apply anymore if this is what I'm going to get. I'm feeling really down and like a complete failure and I'm just not sure what to do...

9. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Oct 2, 2009

They probably got somewhere in the range of a couple hundred applications, and 'selected' a few from the top of the pile (if the position was not already filled internally). If yours was not on the top of the pile, it probably was not even glanced at. I would not take it personally, but rather be thankful that the district took the time to even contact you. I applied to over 100 this summer and heard 'rejections' from probably less than 10. And I also went on interviews where I never even heard back at all- twice for the same school, because it was filled with someone who knew someone! It is so hard to get a job right now, a lot of us are hurting. I wouldn't contact them, but put the energy into looking for something else, whether it be subbing which may lead to a long term sub for this year, or anything else you can find.

10. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 2, 2009

bseballchick, keep applying! Don't give up. This is just a terrible time to be looking for a teaching position! Those non-interview rejections were quite likely due to hiring from within. Posting of open positions can just be a formality that they have to do.