dystopian books for struggling readers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HufflePuff, Nov 15, 2014.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Nov 15, 2014

I teach 6th grade LA and want to do a dystopian unit. There are a LOT of great books I know of out there for higher level readers, but I am having trouble finding some for my struggling readers.

Any ideas?

3. vita_bella

vita_bella Rookie

Nov 15, 2014

Have you considered The Giver?

4. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Nov 15, 2014

I have, but it's still a bit too high leveled for my strugglers.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 15, 2014

On AR book finder, Among the Hidden is 4.8 and City of Ember is 5.0...those are lower than the Giver. The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm is 4.7. How low are you looking for?

Here's the list I got those from:Dystopian Novels for Middle Grade Readers

There's also a new book, The One Safe Place, but that's probably about the same level as the others - 5thish.

Anyway, The Shadow Children series was my first thought. Those books are shorter than most in the genre, and they're about a 4th grade level. Admittedly, I haven't read any, but some of my fifth graders like them.

This is probably my favorite genre. Now you've got me thinking about sci fi book club potential for later this year...hmm...

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 15, 2014

I like the Giver because it's not a big book, so it wouldn't be intimidating for struggling readers.
    Do you think that with a lot of scaffolding and differentiating your students could handle it? Maybe frontload vocabulary, frequently stop, summarize or retell what was read?

I wish I could do the Giver with my students, but they're too high level for that (high school)

7. PinkGeek

PinkGeek Rookie

Nov 15, 2014

Winter of Fire by Sherryl Jordan was dystopian fiction before it was cool. Aaaand because of that, her book went out of print =P But if you can find it in the library or online, it's a great book about a girl fighting slavery, a great world building read, and about the changes people can go through.

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2014

Ayn Rand's Anthem was The Giver before The Giver. It is short as well (shorter even than The Giver) but is at a slightly higher level. My 8th graders read both and needs lots of support for Anthem but it sure makes them think.

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2014

Don't forget about scholastic book wizard to help find reading levels for the books. Many of the dystopian society books have 5th grade and lower reading levels even though they are long books.