Dyslexia strategies

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ST13, Dec 28, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Dec 28, 2015

what are some strategies you use to teach students with dyslexia in 4th grade?

I know multi-sensory/hands on is the way to go, but there are times when I'm at a loss for multi sensory ideas

For example, for basic division review I have used math manipulates, for teaching money we have used play money ... But then what happens when you start getting into long division?

In ela I have letter cubes for spelling words but I'm not really sure what else to use.

What about for social studies? I do not really teach social studies to my students because they are in a general education classroom during that time but I do have to modify and I'm just not sure how sometimes.

Any ideas that worked for your students?

3. bballjoe12

bballjoe12 Companion

Jan 4, 2016

If you send me a private message with your e-mail, I can send you some GREAT skip counting songs (2-9) to help them with multiplication. If you need them. Even my low 70 IQ kids can learn the songs and do basic multiplication facts easily..

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 4, 2016

Is it that your students are having trouble understanding the process, st13, or is it that they're having trouble organizing the work on paper?

If the latter - that is, if they get the general idea but struggle to "bring down" numbers in the right places - try this simple trick that also works for non-dyslexic kids: have them turn their lined paper 90 degrees so that the lines run vertically rather than horizontally, making columns. Then show them how to write a long division problem so that each number place (thousands, hundreds, tens, ones, tenths, hundredths, and so on) in the dividend occupies its own column, and remind them that a digit that is "brought down" from the dividend stays in the column that it starts out in.

bella84 likes this.