dyslexia screening in schools

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Janine1, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Janine1

Janine1 New Member

Mar 7, 2020

How is the dyslexia screening for K-1 students going for other states? What does this look like in your schools? What type of screeners are used? I was able to find information regarding this topic on the ADE website under dyslexia. It helped me to understand better what will be expected from schools in Arizona. However, I would like to know the positives and the negatives that you are seeing from these screenings.

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2020

My district doesn't screen for dyslexia because they only address "specific reading disabilities". Dyslexia is a medical/neurological issue so they don't screen for it.

That is their story. They are sticking to it for decades now.

Aces and Tired Teacher like this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Mar 7, 2020

Same here. The last I heard of a kid getting screened for dyslexia was about 15 yrs ago. His parents were very well off and flew with him to various places around the US to find help.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 7, 2020

I've never worked at a school that would screen or test a child in K or 1 for dyslexia. In the schools I've worked at, you have to be at least 2 years behind to be screened, and that isn't possible in K or 1. Also, until the beginning of third, most reading and writing inversions are still considered developmentally appropriate, so that wouldn't work either.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2020

That doesn't surprise me Rain. This came about because of the discrepancy formula for IEPs where kids had to be at least two standard deviations below the average which equated to about two grade levels. So, a child in first grade couldn't ever qualify for help outside of any additional programs the school decided to implement, which in many cases did not have enough spots for the number of kids who really needed help.

There are screening tools out there now to identify students who need additional intervention early on (not necessarily for writing inversions but with the other underlying deficit areas) it is a shame that schools aren't screening for dyslexia. Early intervention is the key to help people with dyslexia be more successful.

OP, that ADE document is very good.