Dysfunctional Dept.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Soccer Dad, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 11, 2009

I tell my students this too. I tell them that the content of what we are learning is not always relevant, however the applications we learn and the techniques we use are invaluable. I do a lot of speaking and writing in my class, and being able to support your argument effectively with facts is something I strive for my students to get out of my class. I would love for them to get a love and interest in history, but I realize even in the higher levels, not all students actually like history.

2. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 11, 2009

I cannot stand when other teachers--coworkers--decide to say that history isn't important. I don't like to tell kids things about the other teachers--something that seems to becoming much more prevalent now than ever--but I always tell them that they can let the other teacher know that "history is an important subject because_______________." History may not be used as much as English (which I agree is THE most important--the writing portion especially!), but its effects are still felt each and every day--and I list examples (ie: "How many of you remember being searched before entering the subway on field trips for school in NYC? Well, that's an effect from world terrorism which has its roots as far back as the 1970s..." or "Do you know why the district discontinued its trips to Italy, France and Spain?")

To me, education is only successful if students are well-rounded. Therefore, I will NEVER say one subject is more important than another; except I will say that English is the most important subject for it's truly the basis of every other subject.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2009

No argument here.

It doesn't matter how briliant you are if you're incapable of communicating effectively.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

I've used the argument that the chances of Hitler winning WWII would have gone up quite a bit if he had bothered to pay attention to, and learn from, the mistakes made by Napoleon. Fighting a war on two fronts and attempting to invade Russia during the winter were two major mistakes made by both men. These same mistakes were a significant part of both of their downfalls. How much different would the world be if Hitler had won, or hung on another couple of years.

Of course, that example isn't so relevent to today's students, but it might have an effect on their teachers. In the wise words of George Santayana, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

5. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 11, 2009

I also love using the fact that we might all be speaking Spanish right now had the English not fought back the Spanish armada with "the Protestant wind" and got the courage to explore...or that we could, as Ben Franklin asserted, lose our culture and become French if we didn't unite and fight in the F&I War.

Again, these are dated examples but I wanted to show how EVERYTHING would have been different had those things just been altered.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2009

Anyone else a fan of the old show Quantum Leap??

Some pretty cool episodes. One of my favorite ones leaves Scott Bakula's charcter finding the tape on the door of the Watergate Complex.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

Oh, I LOVED hat show!!!! I didn't get into it until half way through the first season, but I was definitely dissapointed when they canceled it.

8. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Dec 12, 2009

Yes! I would go further to tell students that the objective of learning the subject isn't just the facts, it is knowing how to analyze and think critically, which are skills and knowledge for life.

9. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Dec 12, 2009

Hallelujah! I am a history buff and social studies teacher so I am totally about that. Literacy/language arts skills (if you are referring to the importance of English, particularly academic English) are key for acquisition of content area knowledge.