Dynavox and other devices

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Chokita, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

I have 2 students who have just received Dynavoxes, they're still learning how to use them. I want to use them during my lessons too.

Anybody uses high-tech technology in the classroom? How do you use it? How do you make it functional for the students?
    Lower-tech devices seem to be so much easier!

3. Dthig65

Dthig65 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Depending on the student level of course, but I usually put calendar information (so they can participate during calendar time), art supplies (so they can ask for what they need..colors, glue, etc. for crafts), Numbers, and so forth to increase their independence.

4. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

We had the MightMo and we used it for spelling, answering questions, being able to communicate personal information (mom's cell phone, address, etc), ask for items, we also gave her a silly talk area because she is very much a teenager and a girly girl (my favorite was "What I want to say is not on my device"...you can fill in what ever you want this to mean when she would say it).

5. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 8, 2008

I worked with a student who used a Dynovox for two years. This student started out using it to answer questions for calendar time, days of the week, etc. By the time that I stopped working with him he was able to use core words to make grammatical sentences.

I used throughout it my lessons for the student to express his knowledge of the material being presented. I worked with him to teach him how to be expressive. I would have to model sentence structure or the answer in the beginning, until the student became familiar with the location of buttons.

You have to do a lot of modeling in order for the student to learn the buttons.

6. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Thank you, guys!
    I guess I'll start with our morning activities (calendar, weather, etc) and we'll see how it's going.

7. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

I've worked with students who used the MiniMo.

The teacher started with basic calendar and personal info so they could participate in that time.

Then we worked up to the lunch menu, which encompasses a lot! We also added personal care questions/answers/requests.

We then broke it down by class, since the MiniMo had that ability, I've never used a Dynavox. So she had a section for calendar, reading, math, lunch, personal info, etc. We did a lot of modeling and a lot of praise when she would use it independently.

If at all possible, work with the family, unless it is a school only item. I know when I used a LightWriter when I did in-home ABA therapy, the communication and reinforcement between school and home was the best. He became much more adept because he practiced both places.

8. pirateviolin98

pirateviolin98 New Member

Sep 28, 2008

IEP goals for aug com devices

Would anyone like to share some sample goals you have used on the IEP when introducing a communication device (dynavox, tango, etc) for a middle school student?