Dying for School to Start

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss-m, Jul 29, 2016.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 29, 2016

I know I should be enjoying my free time while I have it, and I still have so much to get ready before school starts, but I am just dying for school to start! I'm so excited to be teaching that I'm even excited about inservice, convocation, and weekly PD!
    I have one more week before new teacher inservice, and kids start the 15th... is anyone else super ready to get back to school or am I just crazy? Haha

3. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 29, 2016

You are so positive on here. I enjoy reading your posts. I don't think a teacher wanting to teach is crazy at all. Kids are lucky to have you.

I'm not quite to the point of wanting to see the classroom again only because id rather see Attica than wear the sub badge again...but I guess everyone has a role in the process.

Good luck and may you have your best year ever!

4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 29, 2016

I so hope you get a job this year, even if it feels too late. I definitely know how discouraging it can be to do so much and feel like it's just not good enough (that was my student teaching and the summer after college for me - I probably applied for 50-60 teaching and aide jobs and all I got were two aide interviews with no follow up. It sucked!). I know you have a classroom waiting for you somewhere soon though! :)

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2016

Your enthusiasm is inspiring, but since I know exactly what I am going back to, forgive me if I want to squeeze every last drop of summer out of this coming month. Miss-m, may you still be this perky and upbeat 200 days from now! ;)

6. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 29, 2016

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. A little over a week left for me...Lol in-service days are full of teachers sharing looks across the cafeteria tables. The sarcasm shared is actually pretty funny.

*edit* and we mustn't forget the dramatic eye roll!

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 29, 2016

I'm ready to go back to school... in a week.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2016

I have to go back Mon for a week, then we have another week off before the kids arrive. I have been going in occasionally during the summer to give entrance exams (small private school). I'm ok going back for the week but looking forward to that last week off so I can watch the Olympics.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2016

Odd, I see it more as a wink. I guess most things truly are in the eye of the beholder. For what it's worth, that post about hoping Miss-m is still this enthusiastic at the end of the school year: heartfelt, not sarcastic at all.

miss-m likes this.
  10. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 29, 2016

I hope what I said didn't come across as negative. It was meant as a joke. No matter what my principal does, someone is unhappy. I actually like the activities he did with us.

It's good to be this positive. As everyone else has said, hope it remains there. A trick I learned is to leave every day focused even on one small thing that went right. Don't go home thinking of what went wrong. It sounds simple and silly but my first year I went home just feeing drained and upset. Then my co-teacher and I would discuss the good that happened. Even if for a minute before we left our classroom. It really helped. Good luck!

PallasAthena and vickilyn like this.
  11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2016

FYI, not offended - as a science teacher, I am always interested in how something can seem perfectly clear to one person, and be interpreted completely differently by another. I hope your little remaining time is jammed pack with enough summer to sustain you at least until the winter break! :)

PallasAthena likes this.
  12. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Jul 29, 2016

I am there with you. I'm so excited. Teachers here aren't contracted back until the 15th. I have to go on the 8th for orientation and training. My principal is opening the building to us on the 1st so Monday morning I'll be there ready to get started.

13. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Jul 29, 2016

I'm so anxious for school to start. I'm a new teacher for third grade and couldn't be happier. While I'm anxious for school to start, I am also very nervous. I'll miss my babies as I have been enjoying all summer with them. Also, having my own classroom I am not too sure what to expect. I want to to start off really organized, but worried I won't have much time. I return next Friday, and students return the 22nd.

14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 29, 2016

I didn't expect to be this excited. I loved having the summer with my 3-year-old and 8-month-old and thought I would dread leaving them. I was having fantasies of finding a way to actually generate my same income completely from home. Then I went into my annual "how-do-stay-at-home-moms-keep-their-houses-clean?!" panic and started looking at school supplies. My daughter's preschool teacher decided her current clients are all now very young and that she can handle babies again and gave me first dibs on one of the spots.

I plan to enjoy my last week (next week) and think we might even have a final family mini-vacation down to Zions, but bring on school!

15. ha336

ha336 Rookie

Jul 29, 2016

I'm rowing the same boat with you! Inservice begins Monday for me, and I'm feeling like a kid at Christmas!!

16. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 29, 2016

YES! I love inservice week! For us, it's for all staff, not just new teachers; we just had ours this week! And we found out that our start date was pushed back 2 weeks so we are starting after Labor Day instead of Aug 22 like previously planned (due to unforeseen circumstances)
    We now have 5 weeks to get our rooms ready, which is awesome :)

Backroads likes this.
  17. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 29, 2016

Are you guys being paid for those extra weeks of having things pushed back? I know there are people who budget their money to that first paycheck we get. I can't imagine the panic of finding out that you won't be starting for another two weeks or the possibility of your paycheck not coming when you needed it to.

18. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 29, 2016

Yes, they are! So... I haven't heard any complaints :D

Backroads likes this.
  19. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2016

I'm definitely ready for the fall to see if A) I have a job and B) I want my program to start! You're not alone.
    :)

20. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 29, 2016

I'm pretty anxious for school to start as well! This will be my first year teaching and I'm just ready to get in the classroom.
    I get access to my room on Monday and I'm itching to start setting up!

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2016

To all you new and anxious teachers, one word of advice - pace yourself. Rome wasn't built in a day and your career won't be either. Enjoy the newness of being at the front of the class, but know that building a class culture worth having takes time.

For all those who can't wait, well, I'm kind of with you, but I still have the two grad Summer II classes to finish, and this on the heels of the two Summer I classes, so I can't let my mind go BTS until my school is complete. Then I will be just as anxious as you are!

cocobean likes this.
  22. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 29, 2016

I just want to get in and get my classroom set up. (Mostly so I can get a bunch of the stuff out of my apartment.) I won't be able to get in to my room until late August so I'm with it at home until then!

I'm actually teaching summer school so I will enjoy my two weeks, with some PD sprinkled in. :rolleyes: Those sessions better be worth it!

I'm kind of eh about this year. I will have a lot (probably too much) going on this fall and I know this particular group of kids. I'm hoping the too-much-to-do will make the fall fly by as I already know it's going to be a long year. I'm trying to plan some things to make it as good as I can, so hopefully those will help but this is a tough group. I think I'm actually more excited for the following year to get here! :rofl:

nstructor likes this.
  23. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 29, 2016

I don't start new teacher inservice till next Thursday, but I'm super excited about one day of it - they're focusing on writer's workshop (which is my worst subject to teach, so I'm hoping to learn some good tips and tricks for making it go more smoothly!)
    But I think I'm gonna try and get into my classroom on Monday to do some planning and organizing. Hopefully the last teacher will have gotten some of her stuff out by then. XD

24. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jul 29, 2016

Last year was my first year of teaching so this year I am excited to go into the school year with a little bit more experience under my belt. I know the curriculum better, had time to prepare over the summer, already have a plan of how to set up my classroom, etc. Like I said, I'm excited BUT I am still going to enjoy my summer for the next week.
    We go back to setup our rooms around the 8th, teacher in service the week of the 15th, and student's first day the 23rd.

25. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Aug 1, 2016

I can't wait for school to start! I am bored to tears. I love the kids (most of them!) and really miss them. I see some of them during the summer, at Walmart or the mall or other stores and always say hi. I bought a bnch of little toy cars and My Little Ponies to have on hand for the kids, and stickers and stuff like extra pencils, glue sticks, backpacks, and other stuff.