DVD Slideshow Parent Consent

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by fun2tchk, Jun 1, 2014.

1. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Jun 1, 2014

I have done the DVD end of the slideshows for the last several years along with several of my teammates. These are always a huge hit and we burn copies for our kids. I always have a special permission slip just for this project and don't even start making it until I know if I can include all of my kiddos or not. (never a problem)

This year, one of my teammates learned that a parent from several years ago had uploaded the DVD to youtube. Luckily within a matter of a day she was able to track the father down and he willingly took it down.

Has anyone had this issue? I'm not sure if there is a real way to prevent someone from doing this. I was thinking of maybe trying to figure out a way to include in the permission slip that they will not upload anything to social media? I hate to not do this project, but it's pretty scary with what someone could do. Any thoughts?:dizzy:

3. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 1, 2014

Maybe add something like

"I am so pleased to share this slideshow with you. To respect privacy, please enjoy it for personal use only and refrain from posting it on social media. Thanks for your cooperation!"

Perhaps it is possible for the parents to get the files to the photos as well? That way if they wanted to post the picture of their child, they would be able too.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

Perhaps include a note with the DVD saying that they keep for private use/viewing, because of permission slips signed, and maybe you could burn CDs of all of the images used - and maybe include some extras - give parents both the CD and the DVD

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

You could always co-opt it by putting it on youtube yourself, and set it to private, and include all your parents as available viewers.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 1, 2014

I don't know what your school policy is, but I wouldn't think you would be responsible for what parents do with it. It would be the same thing as their taping a school presentation and putting it on there, which I see happen all the time. I don't even think if push came to shove that they'd have an obligation to take it down, unless there's something they signed in your school policy. You could absolutely include that caveat, but I don't know how you would enforce it.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2014

It's not really all that different than a parent recording a school play or concert and uploading it online. Does your school have a policy for that? I would think it would cover you if it does.Another precaution you can take would be to make sure you don't put any identifying info (name of school, your name, town, district, etc) and watch for photos that include students wearing shirts that identify the school or town (i.e. Happyville Soccer).

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 1, 2014

It seems to me that when a parent gives permission for their child to be included in the slideshow that the parent realizes the possibility of this happening. I think the way you worded it sounds terrific, though.