duty question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Foe8406, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Foe8406

Foe8406 New Member

Sep 11, 2013

Hi

I have lunch duty (again) and was wondering in NJ, what is the max and min temperature for sending students outside? Example, today we were outside even though it was about 93 degrees out. I ask because when winter hits, we still go out even when its in the low to mid 30's. we seem to go outside whether its 34 degrees or 95 degrees. I was sick more than often last year because of being told to send the students outside in the frigid cold.

My issue is this fair practice? I dont see how placing the same people in lunch duty year after year is not warrant for some kind of grievance. We brought up the option of making a 1/2 year rotating duty but my vp says it doesn't work with schedules (i think it not true bc we have people on hall duty we can rotate in.)

My concern is also that there is 3 teachers outside with about 270 kids, which is almost 100 kids/1 teacher. Is there a ratio it has to be? Also, we are all men, so any potential fight with female students we are put in a precarious spot.

I love the people I work with, but factoring in how everyone can do work while on hall duty, it comes to 3 hours/wk they get as a bonus.

3. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 11, 2013

1) I doubt there are any state laws regarding temperatures and taking students outside after lunch. There are almost assuredly no laws about a duty ratio for teachers, other than rules the district/building set in place.

2) You don't get sick from going outside in the cold.

3) Rarely are schools a "fair" place, even for teachers.

Edit: And a smiley face, in case you think I was too harsh: :)

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 11, 2013

I don't know if you just mean NJ, but I used to work in Manitoba and we were not allowed to allow kids outside if the temperature fell below -45C with the windchill. We could often go days, and sometimes weeks, at that temperature. Indoor recess for multiple days in a row made for a very long day for elementary school teachers when kids couldn't really get outside to burn off energy.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

The decision on going out based on weather conditions is generally made at the local level...by the principal or school district.
    Are duty assignments stipulated in your contract?

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 11, 2013

You definitely need more teachers outside. We have four for 91 and sometimes I feel we need more.

7. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 11, 2013

That was a province level law?

I also think the conversation changes when one's talking about another country.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

Even though I'm also in another country, I'll weigh in.

Contractually, we have 60 minutes of supervision time each week. This could be outside or inside. Our students have been outside the last couple of days (with humidex values of over 40C, and will be outside in the winter unless the temperatures fall below -20C with the windchill factor. As teachers, we dread those days when the kids are inside for more than 2 days in a row.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 11, 2013

At my old school we had one teacher for every 75 kids on the playground dictated by the insurance company. I think I remember a similar number at my current school.

10. kab164

kab164 Companion

Sep 11, 2013

Where I live, 34 would be a lovely change in the winter. I just signed up for recess duty this year. For every 16 recesses we do, we get a comp day or more pay. I think there are 5-6 of us for 300 students.

11. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Sep 11, 2013

In my school we have our lunch when the kids eat lunch, and each teacher supervises her own class while they are at recess

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

I'm originally from a state that borders MB. We have a similar rule about temperatures, at least the low temperature and/or wind chill. It seems to me that such a rule would be the norm in places with frigid temperatures. Anything above or around freezing doesn't constitute frigid, in my opinion.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2013

I think it would be nice if recess duty was on a rotational basis. Actually, though, some people may prefer it. So it would be best if your school asked for "volunteers" first.

As for temperatures, childcare centers here have strict rules about this...but schools, not so much.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 11, 2013

I know a teacher in WI and they say that 0 degrees is usually the decision to decide whether they send the students out or not. this is hearsay, so I am not sure if it is accurate. I live in AZ and I had lunch playground duty when it was 118 degrees. (Picked the wrong day to wear a dress shirt and a tie.)

15. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 11, 2013

In my area, there is no max temperature for outside recess. The minimum is 0 degree Fahrenheit. I really see no problem with that because we live in a cold-weather state, and the students are expected to dress for the weather.

16. Foe8406

Foe8406 New Member

Sep 11, 2013

Thanks for the replys. A duty is part of ourcontract but the vp decides who gets what. Rotational would be nice but he seems to avoid trying it. With all the new stuff we have to do this year its almost not level fairness bc other duties thats more work time. He chooses the same people every year. I know some going on year 6 in a row.

Whats disheartening is those who purposely do bad in it get out of it instead of being held accountable. Im a special ed teacher and we now must complete a chart for every kid listing the modifications we provide daily. I have 40 kids and its time consuming. I do work at home, but thats grading and lesson planning with the different 4 teachers i teach with.

This is a middle school.

17. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 11, 2013

That does suck. Our duties are half-year (switch in January) so it's a little better. I've been pretty lucky so far to not have cafeteria duty (this is a HS so we don't have recess duty at all), but you are right that it's not balanced. Hall duty has basically an extra prep...and I really don't think there's a point to hall duty anyway. Study hall at least has to take attendance and write passes and such, but you can still sit down and get a lot of work done. Cafe duty (I've "subbed" for someone for it once or twice) seems dreadful---I would DEFINITELY still bring my laptop though to work as I monitored the kids.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2013

Your middle schoolers get a recess period? Wow, ours don't and neither does my daughter in her middle school.

19. Foe8406

Foe8406 New Member

Sep 12, 2013

Yes they do, which I never had in middle school. And I agree, hall duty is not necessary when there are cameras in every hallway.

I wish I could bring work, but we are not allowed to.

I know this post was just really a rant. I wanted to see if anyone had similar experience and if something can be done bc I know I will have the same duty every year as my schedule doesn't change.

I guess at best we can every teacher who has this duty (about 15 of us for 3 lunch periods) to get together and figure something out.

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 12, 2013

If the temp is below 20 degrees, we don't go out. No restrictions on high temps.

21. mkate

mkate Comrade

Sep 12, 2013

We all alternate recess duty, every other day. The ratio for elementary is 1 teacher per 60 kids, I think (it may be 50, though.) For pre-K/K it is 1 to 30.

22. Foe8406

Foe8406 New Member

Sep 12, 2013

update:

email was sent to union rep in building from several of us. Doing that math, those not in this duty get an additional 200 minutes per week/133 hours extra per school year. A rotation doesn't seem difficult to do, but to say "those are most qualified people for that duty" is ludicrous, seeing how everyone manages kids all day.

hopefully something get resolved...or the VP will just be ticked off and hold a grudge, which is possible.

23. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 12, 2013

Yeah, it could either really work for you, or you could have just earned yourself that duty for life.

24. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 12, 2013

Each district out here sets it's own standards for recess temps. Ours is typically a windchill above 0 up to a heat index of 100. We have daily and weekly rotating schedules for before school, morning, noon, and afternoon recesses. Some weeks we have 3 duties, some day we have 9 duties.

25. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 12, 2013

Wow...ours rotates pretty evenly. But there are a few teachers that don't have recess duty because they are in two buildings and/or are assigned to have bus duty after school every day! I've wondered what the time would work out to be!

26. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2013

0 degrees?!:eek: Our union would have a field day with that.

27. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 12, 2013

I don't know if it was provincial law, but I worked at several different school divisions across the province and it was the same in all.

28. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 12, 2013

We're a HS so we don't get recess. We are assigned lunch duty once every 3-4 years. My turn should be next year.

29. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Sep 13, 2013

We never have the issue of it being too warm here in the Yukon, but we don't send kids outside at a certain cold point. It varies from school to school. I guess I'm lucky in that we are asked what we want for supervision, and generally the people on outside duty have requested it.