Duties & extra $$$

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mizz Lucy, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Jan 22, 2007

Which duties outside of the classroom are you required to do?
    recess? lunch? bus? etc.
    How can you earn extra dollars at work???
    ball games? grant writing? after school suspension? tutor?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2007

Required? None.

Opportunities for which we can earn more:
    Lunchtime clubs
    Student council
    After school clubs
    Traffic Duty

Tutoring is handled by teachers independently NOT contracted through the school although the guidance counselor will hand out a list of teachers who tutor. We set our own schedules and rates. We are not allowed to tutor students of our same grade elvel from our district.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 22, 2007

Required duty: Friday before school and both recesses, Tuesday before school, and Thursday canteen recess. I also have lunch duty every 3 weeks.

As far as extra money goes, grants work great for resources for your classroom. For cash, tutoring is it.

5. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 22, 2007

Required: before school playground supervision 2X per week

Ways to make money: Head teachers (passing out supplies, filling in for principal, etc.)

Teaching an after school program

Supervising after school program dismissal

teaching at the boys and girls club after school

That's about it

6. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jan 22, 2007

Required duties: moring pod duty(7:15-7:50) 1 day a week
    car rider duty (3:10-3:30) 1 day a week
    walking students to bus/daycare vans daily
    recess duty (teachers take their own class out)

We can earn extra money by: tutoring (grades 1st-6th, 4 days a week, it is offered free of charge to students who are struggling/failing. Teachers are paid $20 an hour)

We can also teach summer school or do summer academic camps.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 22, 2007

Required
    Morning duty twice a week
    Lunch duty once a week

Optional
    Sunshine lady, events coordinator, clubs, tutoring, department coordinator, patrol leader, student council advisor

I just tutor.

8. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Jan 22, 2007

Required after school dismissal for two months

Optional
    still trying to explore this.
    Coaching on a secondary level

9. musicbean

musicbean Rookie

Jan 22, 2007

Required? 90 minutes supervision/week (one full day of before school, two recesses, and 10 min end of lunch), 5 minute entry times.

Optional? All extracurriculars. No money - strictly voluntary.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2007

Required: 60 minutes of duty (could be before school, recess, lunch supervision, or bus duty at the end of the day) per week.

Optional: no extra pay

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2007

req.
    morning duty 1 week a month (15 min)
    recess duty 3 times a week
    after school support 2 times a week

as for paid postsions..the optipons are endless....after school clubs, sports, tutoring, etc... etc...

12. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jan 22, 2007

Required: 60 minutes per week supervision duty

Extra money: I do an afterschool literacy program with our other intermediate teacher for our intermediate students which gives us each a small extra paycheque. It also helps us bond with the kids and help those who are willing to stay.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 23, 2007

My contract hours are 7:30 to 2:45. My only problem is that my students arrive at 7:15. So I need to be at the school by 7:10. There is no one else at the school except the cook.
    Also the last bus leaves at 3:10. My aide is there at that time so I can leave early. But usually I stay late.
    My aide and I both eat lunch with the students. She brings them out to recess. I am cutting morning recess out of the big kids schedule.
    So she will only have five students outside during that time.

14. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jan 23, 2007

Required: recess (our own class), tutoring (3-5 grade teachers get paid after the normal teachers' school day when they have to do it $25 an hour - but they only do it 30 minutes at a time after this- for a total of 70 minutes, for three days straight, three weeks every the last three quarters)
    (lunch duty was until January)

Extra money - my only guess in this county would be to find a second job. Everything is considered "voluntary" - even when you don't have a choice in the matter.

15. abby1966

abby1966 Rookie

Jan 23, 2007

Required:
    3 weeks of afterschool duty each month (1 week bus, 1 week car, 1 week bus) Get one week off a month.

Lunch duty every day

Recess duty every other week

Extra pay:
    You can tudor
    You can offer homebound services to a child unable to attend school due to health reasons.
    Grade chair

16. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jan 23, 2007

We are required to do recess duty daily, and I take care of our grade level's "bus" students after school. I currently stay after school one day a week to offer remediation/review for my students (none come at this point in time, although several should be there), and I also give up 2 duty-free lunches per week to eat with selected students and work on the concepts that they are having trouble with.

I honestly don't think that there are many things in our school that you can be paid for. I think most are voluntary.

17. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Jan 23, 2007

I have no required duties outside of teaching except for staff meetings, if those count.

Anything else (clubs, etc) that we do is voluntary/unpaid.

18. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Jan 23, 2007

So who runs dismissal, lunchroom, etc?

19. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Jan 24, 2007

I do yard duty 5 times a week (2 x 15 mins, 3 x 20 mins - each duty is half of the break), minimum of staff and team meeting and we share tasks in teams such as parent newsletters once a term, excursion notices, organising camps, etc. We also share other jobs across the whole staff - I coordinate the Extension program competitions and Premier's Reading Challenge, and I type all the weekly awards for the school. Other people do tasks like buying staffroom supplies, being on school council, keeping the first aid room stocked and the yard duty bags full, some people run lunchtime activities, etc. All those things that help a school run.

AFAIK, the only way to earn extra money is to go for promotion, but I haven't as the extra workload isn't worth the extra money, to me. There are some higher duties tasks (like whole school English or Maths coordinator) but I wouldn't want them and a full class load. The vast majority of jobs we do, we just do.

20. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jan 24, 2007

I also do not have extra duties such as lunchroom or recess. The aides do all of the supervision. My responsibilities include teaching and management or IEP's and all of that fun stuff.

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 24, 2007

Required:
    Recess (once every 6 days because of the amount classroom teachers we have-unless we have inside recess, then it's up to us)
    Bus Duty (every day after school-maybe a total of 5 minutes each day)

Optional (all of the following require special selection or other requirements):
    Tutoring ($30/hour which is offered T & Th for 1.5 hours after school-but since we've moved into our new building only offered 3rd grade up)
    Department Head/Grade Level Representative (not sure how much, but it's a yearly stipend)
    Mentor Teacher (paid $1200 by state)
    Cooperating teacher (paid $100 by university)

22. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jan 24, 2007

We have to do our own recess duty during the school day and we have to do our own lunch duty every day. We have after school parking lot duty every other week. There aren't really any extra opportunities for pay.

23. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Jan 25, 2007

I have recess duty for 15 minutes after lunch every other week. Plus, i have breakfast duty for one week two times a year.
    I tutor after school 3 days a week for $25 an hour. It's an extra $75 a week, which is nice!

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 25, 2007

Required
    Recess/lunchroom duty (rotates weekly)
    Morning supervision once a week every other month
    Everyone signed up for or was assigned a committee or 2 at the beginning of the year (Student council, homework help, SAT team, Catholic Schools Week, etc)

Nothing extra to earn extra money at this time. Catholic schools aren't set up that way as far as I know. Everyone just pitches in and helps out here or there.

25. tward

tward Rookie

Jan 27, 2007

Our county recently started paying the "grade level chairman" on the elementary level $8.00 per month! This is a huge joke ... we love to tell our grade level chair that is why she gets paid the big bucks!