During student teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Harmony2, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 19, 2012

Did you ever feel like you were never going to get through it? :unsure:

My observations have all been great. I have classroom management down pat. My timing and pacing is getting there. The kid's assessments are great in the things I am teaching them.

But as I posted in the student teacher thread, my ct and I have very different personalities; she is very "Type A" with lack of a better description, and I am more laid back and calm, and somewhat of a procrastinator, but I get the job done and done well.

I know I annoy her because I don't think like she does, and am not as meticulous, which is not to say I accept mediocrity, quite the opposite, but I have a more gentle approach then she does. She has the bar set very high for the students and that includes me, but some days I feel like all she does is criticize every single thing I am doing, even something I am doing the first time...and by criticize I mean be slightly mean about it. There is a difference between giving feedback and saying " You did that all wrong and you forgot this and you forgot that and why did you do this and that isn't good enough" statements.

It is making me feel like she will never give me a recommendation since I don't teach the way she does. We just have different styles. She's regimented and I am firm but gentle.

I have talked to my supervising teacher and other teacher friends and family who have given me so much good advice, but I am just venting on here because it feels like I will never finish this..Dec 21 feels ions away, and I still have one more class to take on.

3. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 19, 2012

FTR, she has made more than one kid cry since September, by talking to them the way she talks to me. I can't say that I haven't felt like crying myself. She just has this way of making you feel like you don't measure up. She doesn't build you up and say " Hey. You could have done this, but I like how you did this..try this instead and see how it works" she will just say things like " Well that's garbage. She actually said that to a student.

I know this too shall pass, but I just hope we can get through the next few weeks without it getting worse. I am thinking of sending her an email voicing my feelings, but am afraid at how it will go over. :(

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 19, 2012

I wouldn't give her anything in writing - it could come back to bite you when she fills out her final evaluation. If you feel the need to talk to her, do it verbally with your supervising teacher present.

It sounds like she treats you, how she treats everyone. Don't take it personally...

5. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 19, 2012

I thought about that too... nothing in email that she could twist or use against me.

I am just going to do the time and do my best and accept that my best may never be good enough for her, and anticipate that she will always find fault with everything I am doing. Which is sad, because I am a good teacher, and I know she has to see that.

6. frtrd

frtrd Rookie

Oct 19, 2012

Ooh she sounds like she's being really rude. I'm sorry :(

But to be the devil's advocate ... I'm pretty Type A myself (though I like to think I'm a bit nicer about it haha) and it would always drive me crazy when I had teachers who were disorganized or would procrastinate. So maybe you could take this opportunity to put yourself in the other teacher's shoes, so you can better relate to future type-A's that you might meet in the classroom :)

7. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 19, 2012

I am doing that. :) I actually MEASURED the things I laminated today so they would all be exact. I lined pictures I put on the wall after school today exactly an inch apart. I DO things her way.. I really do try.

My lesson plans for next week were on her desk yesterday. My plans for the following week she will have on Monday.

BUt all of that doesn't matter. She only points out the things that I DON'T do, and never mentioned the things I do. Never.

I am a procrastinator, but I am also very very organized. All my files are color coded and hindered and I have all my plans very detailed and meticulous. That is why I am so confused. She actually made me an example copy of something we did in science today, and I made my own exactly to her specification, which she admitted. Then the kids did it wrong and she blamed me, even though I repeated the instructions no less than 5 times, as did she. Somehow that is my fault too.

Sigh I don't know if we can remain in this situation. I don't want it to spill over into the kids and have them catch the tension, it is not fair to them.

8. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Oct 19, 2012

Wow. Like frtrd, I am definitely more "Type A" than anything else, but I do try to be reasonable in imposing my standards on others. In this case it sounds particularly unpleasant because of the teacher's perfectionist tendencies combined with a...mean streak? Bad attitude?

It sounds like you have been doing everything possible to please everyone, and you're probably going to come out of this experience with a lot of insight and skills. Keep your chin up!

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2012

When I was student teaching (back when the earth was still young), I was in a tiny little town and I stayed with my CT. One day her husband made a pass at me and I told him exactly what I would do to him in the event he tried something. From that day on, my Ct acted like yours. She even tried to fail me. I spoke to my college supervisor, who had already completed my observations and knew what kind of teacher I was. My college supervisor told me that she would disregard the CT's recommendation and told me just to finish my time with her so I could graduate. He also said he would never giver her anyone else to supervise.

That was 40 years ago...and I'm still here. Like the last poster said, keep your chin up and stay on the high road.

Use your college supervisor for recommendations, if you can. How about getting the P to do an observation?

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2012

I understand that this experience isn't pleasant for you, and I really feel for you.

The thing is, I think you need to get over this and just go with the flow. Stop giving this woman so much power over your emotions, potential career, and life.

I've worked with dozens of administrators over the years. Each of them is different. Some of them are Type A in a major way. I've learned that some of them just aren't going to be happy no matter what. When it comes to those sorts of people, I'm not going to freak out trying to be perfect or cry about it when they tell me that I'm not. Instead, I just try my best. I make sure that I have all the basics covered, that my plans look good and my students are learning, and I go from there. I can't please everyone, and neither can you.

I'm trying to say this as gently as possible, so please don't take offense: Seriously, stop it. You're not going to change this person. The more you point out (to us and to yourself) all the ways she does things differently from how you do things, the more you're widening the gap. You need to find a way to focus on the common ground you share with this person. If you don't, you're going to be miserable for the rest of your placement. Beyond that, you're very likely going to be miserable in your career once you land a regular teaching job, because the truth is that there are many teachers like the one you're describing. It's unfortunate that your cooperating teacher isn't being as flexible as you'd like her to be. Even so, I'm reasonably certain that she has good intentions and is truly trying to help you become the best teacher you can be. Go with it. Take the good things, throw out the bad, and stop focusing so much on the negative.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 19, 2012

My ST experience was rough and I had a terrible Cooperating teacher who left 10 minutes after school got out every day, and mostly did her graduate homework while I taught. She was also as mean as a snake. My University Supervisor was amazed I survived and banned her from ever having another ST and she was not allowed to give me an evaluation. They had someone else evaluate me and it was a great evaluation.

All of my years of teaching seemed easy compared to that experience. The students and my supportive University supervisor got me through it. I just knew it was her, and it drove me to more want to be a teacher. It made me feel that schools really needed more caring teachers in the classroom. So, yes hang in there. I realize it is very tough, but my experience was over 20 years ago. I have gone on to really enjoy teaching, and I look forward to making a difference with children each day.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2012

I wanted to respond to this.

I think I'm a good teacher. I, too, have told students that their work looked like garbage. Because it did. And because I had given them all sorts of positivity-sandwiched constructive feedback all year, which they ignored, and continued turning in garbage work. Sometimes sugar-coating and bush-beating doesn't work; some students need a proverbial kick in the butt sometimes.

I made a sophomore boy cry during class one time because I told him that his translation was garbage. It sounded like this: "Money the boy was had gived the a lot. Big loot administers in island patriots seizure." Can you read that? I can't. That's because it's garbage. The student wasn't thoughtful or mindful in any way when he wrote that crap down. He was completely literate in English but wasn't careful with his work in my class. And it was obvious when he turned his work in.

That student stayed in my class for four years. He ended up taking AP with me during his senior year. He has brought up the "garbage talk" with me many times. He said that he was so shocked that I had said that to him that he realized that I was serious. He said that many of his teachers just let him turn in poor work, but I didn't do that. I pushed him and challenged him and basically forced him to be successful.

Bluntness doesn't work for every kid, but some kids do need it. I don't have a problem giving kids what they need, even if it's not what they want and even if it makes me look like the bad guy. Indeed, I tend to be fairly blunt and straightforward in most of my professional dealings, including on this forum. I've gotten a lot of really angry responses from people who mistook my straightforwardness for rudeness. The fact that some people get bent out of shape when I let them know the deal is more their problem than mine. This goes for students as well. The biggest difference with students is that we are together every day and they can usually see that everything I do is out of genuine concern for them and a true desire to help them succeed (whereas some members here just want to argue, I think).

13. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 19, 2012

Caesar, this was an 8 year old, two weeks into 3rd grade.
    Big difference between an 8 year old who is just adjusting to 3rd grade expectations, and a sophomore in high school.
    She's had three parent complaints as well.
    I am not trying to throw her under the bus but she has amazingly high expectations for everyone, and isn't willing to allow for a learning curve even to new 3rd graders and student teachers.

I wish it was different. I have tried on every single occasion to give her the benefit of the doubt; maybe she is having a bad day, etc.
    But this is often enough that I believe it's her personality.

She even re hung mobiles from the ceiling I hung that looked just fine because she liked her way better, but didn't tell me ahead of time what that way was so I could do it.

She's told me to do one thing, then she asks why do it, and she asks why I did it. Or forgets what she says than makes me out to be wrong. The list is endless, and just comes down to the reality that she probably isn't happy with ANY student teacher she gets.

I'm just worried because her input affects my grade, and possibly my license. I can't afford to start this over again.

I want to stress that I have never lost my temper, never done anything but write down her criticism and say "Ok I will try that next time".

Tonight I sent her a link about the online evaluation, and she responded by asking me for my supervising teachers contact info.
    :(

I am very glad I have given him a head up that we have had some rocky roads so he isn't blindsided if that's why she wants to call him.

I am so sad and lost tonight. I have come so far and done so well that it's not fair to have to go through this too. :( I do give more than 100% to the kids, whether I stay there 12 hours or not.
    :(

14. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Oct 19, 2012

She might be threatened by you. Some teachers hate to be upstaged. It sounds like you are doing an awesome job, probably a better job than she does, or just as good... and she has to demean your accomplishments by being overly critical or you. So she has to be critical to make you look incompetant, so she can feel/look superior. With her, I would ignore it, and I would pretend to be " learning from her" by asking her random questions about everything in detail so she can critique and feel like SHE is teaching you something, even though you already know how to do it. I would even take notes... while she gave you advice. Try dumbing yourself down, to feed her ego ( NOT WHEN YOU ARE BEING EVALUATED) but when its just you and her sometimes. I know it stinks but, you are trying to get a good grade.... and if stroking her ego, is the way to go... I would do it.

I work with some teachers like that as a para... if you have better classroom management than they do, they get on the defense and start becoming overbearing... it's more about control... She needs to feel superior because she has been teaching longer than you, and you are upstaging her... or doing just as good a job. I don't think you should start slacking, I would just try to make her think she is teaching you stuff... to feed her ego.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 19, 2012

I am quite anal about how things are hung up in my classroom and I am working on breaking my need for everything to be straight and perfectly spaced:blush:. I have had people help me hang things up and I have had to tell them that I will be trying not to touch it after they hang it up but for them not to be upset if it is changed in a week.:p.

16. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 20, 2012

Just wanted to chime in here and agree with Caesar that some kids need you to be blunt. My very first voice teacher was a really nice woman and was always mindful of my feelings. She'd say things like "Okay, that was good, but let's try it again," or "Not bad, once more."

My second voice teacher was polar opposite. He'd say things like "That was garbage, do it over," and "S**t, try again," and "Stop singing like s**t and wasting my time". Yeah, he was a complete douche! In the beginning, I'd often leave lessons angry and frustrated, but I sucked it up.

Now guess which teacher took me above and beyond and really set me up for my performing career.

17. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 20, 2012

I get being blunt with older kids, I have had teachers like that myself who are good friends to this day.

This is very different. I could give more details but I don't want this to be a bash fest on her.

The short version is, we are different personalities.

I just want to get through the next 46 days as positively as possible..

And as for the mobile example, if she had told me how she wanted them hung I would have been happy to do it her way. If you want something done a certain way, you need to make that expectation clear from the get go, not assume the person is a mind reader and will know exactly what you want. You model or give directions. You don't make the person feel like crap when you walk back in the room and say " I don't like it, I do it like this. Just leave the ladder I'll do it myself". I felt like ****. There was a better way to handle it.

look, I am a tough cookie with a thick skin, but I won't be a doormat to someone, though I do understand I have to suck it up, she also needs to work on how she critiques everyone, adults and kids alike, and that is my own observation.

I shouldn't have vented here. For all I know she is reading it. But it sucks to feel like you are giving your best, and the kids are showing results, and your gut is also telling you that you are on the right track, and two different former superintendents and principals who are your advisors are giving you great feedback, to have this other deciding factor say " I don't see it" simply because I don't have the same personality as her. It sucks and it makes going in that room very tough...until the 21 reasons for being there walk into it. That is the best part of the day, when they are there. Then all this negative crap goes away, and I am happy and things flow..until they leave the room and I get slammed with one criticism after another. She seems to focus on the negative and never ever mentions the positive, or if she does, it is a back handed compliment.

Thank you for all of your advice. I will take it all to heart, and I will do my best to stay positive and hopefully make it through the remainder of my placement. I am sorry for venting so much, but it does help to get feedback from others.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 20, 2012

My student teaching experience was much like yours. When my campus supervisor came in and observed, she had only glowing comments about me for the cooperating teacher and I think that helped the CT see that my way was different, but effective. My CT wrote a wonderful letter of recommendation, despite our differences. Good luck to you!

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 20, 2012

One thing that I remember that really helped me was the days my Cooperating teacher was gone. She took a lot of personal days. I would teach while the sub watched me teach. Yeah, I know that seems like a waste, but it is state law that a ST can't be alone without a certified teacher or substitute teacher.

What happened was that the substitute teachers gave me lots of positive feedback on how I was doing. This helped me to see that I was doing well. What is it like when you sub? You might ask the sub, "Hey, please be very honest and blunt. How is my instruction or classroom management compared to what you see in other schools?" If it is positive than realize you are fine, and try to get along with your CT just like we do with in-laws.

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 20, 2012

I had an opposite experience. I wouldn't really regard myself as Type A because I take relaxation very seriously, but compared to my Master Teacher, I felt like the most anal retentive meticulous person in the world.

She really didn't plan or do much of anything. >____>;; She was really grateful to have me though, so her evaluations of me were nothing but positive. To be honest though, the evaluations from the evaluator that the University assigned me meant much more to me, since they tended to actually be helpful and indicative of my progress.

When it came to my internship however, the CT who I taught 8th grade with was more Type A than me, but he was in another classroom, so I didn't see him very often. I visited him everyday in order to get what he was doing in his class so I could keep up. However, he was VERY stressed out. It was only his second year teaching though, but he was having huge classroom management problems, and was already thinking about quitting. I felt bad for him.

It really drives home the importance of maintaining balance. Ensure that you are an effective teacher by planning and growing, but don't drive yourself into the ground by doing too much and stressing yourself out.

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 20, 2012

You should have told my Master Teacher. She would just up and leave in the middle of the day to pick up her kids or buy Panda Express and leave me to teach her classes for her with no supervision. o_O

I didn't really mind though because I love getting the experience. She would pay me under the table though because she didn't want to use her sick days. Felt kinda shady...

Edit: Actually you know what? I did get myself certified as a sub at the district in case she needed to take a day off, because she said it would be a waste to get a sub, so I guess I was certified. But still the paying under the table thing...

22. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 20, 2012

I have taught a couple of times now with both a sub in the room and the basic skills teacher, both of whom said I did a good job, but I am going to continue to look for feedback using those means as that is a great idea. In fact, on the one lesson that both my advisor and the basic skills teacher were present for, they were both stunned that my CT saw so much negative when neither of them did. Which is why I figure its a personality/teaching difference between us that is causing my CT to have some issues... If I am not bringing the content across exactly the way she would, it is not being done correctly in her eyes. this is the only thing I can think of that can be causing the issues.

I am toying with the idea of having the P observe me even if it is a "spot" observation. I want a true indicator, I don't want to know its coming, if you know what I mean.

23. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 20, 2012

I don't know what you mean; are you worried she might fail you for student teaching, or are you worried that you possibly are doing a bad job and the P will be honest?

I wouldn't worry about it. There are always people that don't like things or ways that are different than they're used to. She's probably the same type of person that would get angry if the district switched to a new format of anything. I worked with a teacher that flipped out over the school switching to a new grading system. She was on and on about how bad it is, how great the old one is, yadda yadda. A year later it was the best system ever. There are people that don't like change.

All of that said, she seems like the type of person that likes some good brown nosing. Read on only if you have no problem manipulating someone.

Don't try to be like her. Tell her you want to be like her. Comment on how you wish you could "do this, do that, or get students to do this." Beat her to the criticism, criticize yourself and throw in a complement for her. "Augh, that lesson would have gone over so much better if you had taught it - I'm just not good at doing x and y like you are. Would it be possible to go over it in more detail with me later?" She won't know what to say, her response will probably be along the lines of "you didn't do too bad, don't be so hard on yourself, of course we can." She'll lap it up. Always, always, beat her to the criticism, and turn it into a compliment of her. Keep at it, in a few weeks she'll be telling you you're so great you'll be just like her someday.

Or, just tough through it, haha.

24. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 20, 2012

I am worried that because of our personality differences, she is not going to give me a good recommendation.
    Personally, I don't think she can base it on my teaching at all. I am not bragging, but I do know who I am, and I have been observed now three different times, by my supervising teacher, and our main faculty advisor; both of whom have been teachers, principals, and superintendents in their time. Both of them have been very pleased with what they have seen, but she has almost always without fail, criticized the same lesson harshly, pointing out what SHE would have done as the measure of assessment, and not really paralleling the good that the others have seen. I also have the student's assessments reflecting that they are learning the content I am teaching.

The only areas that I have been given to work on is pacing and varying my RP's and they have all improved with each lesson.

I am wondering if she is pushing so hard because she thinks I can be even better..I am trying to look at this from every single angle because the only other possibility is that she just does not like me.

In any case, I have to stop dwelling on this or I will just spiral into negativity. I am going to take it one day, one lesson at a time, give my best, put in as many hours as I am personally able to, even if they don't quite meet her standards, and pray that my good is good enough. Ultimately, my advisor's opinion holds the most weight, and he is very happy at the moment, and sees this as just a teacher who is not comfortable handing over the control of her room.

25. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 20, 2012

FTR... I LOVE your idea, and there was someone else on here who suggested the same thing, as have several teacher friends of mine..they said that she needs to feel that she is teaching me something and that she is needed...I have to make her feel needed, and she is proud of her abilities; I need to "brown nose" with lack of a better word, and ask her to show me her way of doing things because I think she is that awesome...which wouldn't really be a lie. There are some things she does I disagree with, but for the most part, she is one of the most organized teachers I have ever seen and I DO hope to be able to manage things as effectively as she does.

26. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Oct 20, 2012

I had a horrible CT. She was mean to the kids. She got to school right before school started and left right after school was over. I couldn't see any evidence of planning.

I put my head down. Got the work done. I was great with my lessons. I could tell that I was making a difference with the students. I did what was asked. Everybody who observed me saw that I knew what I was doing.

Sometimes there are differences in personality between the CT and ST. I think it is important just to try to swallow your pride and get through it.

27. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 20, 2012

Good, you've already got compliments lined up that are far from flattering, but genuine and good.

You'll be in a good place with her in no time.

If you can make the people you loathe, love you, you've mastered politics. :)

28. alm111

alm111 Rookie

Oct 21, 2012

I had a ridiculous ST experience. My CT and I initially got along okay personality-wise, but she turned out to be a completely awful teacher who got a ST just to keep from doing any work. Starting my second day, she would come back late from lunch, go run errands during the day, come in hours late, leave hours early, or not come to school at all. Until admin caught on, she did all this without getting a sub (and thus using her PTO days). Later, she got subs (just for legal reasons - her sub plans were 'I have a student teacher'), but she still never put in close to a full week. She never planned or taught anything, so I wasn't given modeling for how things should be done. It was horrible. When I would question things, though, she got really snippy and rude. I ended up leaving her room and observing in other classrooms my final few weeks. Having a capable ST was totally a crutch for that awful woman.

All that said, I really relied on my college supervisor (a professor, but previously a teacher and principal) to get me through. She worked with me and the principal to get me out of that situation, and she was more than willing to let me vent when needed. I'd mention your frustrations to your supervisors and see what advice they have. They've seen a lot and are paid to help you get the most out of your student teaching. My supervisor had never seen a situation like mine (much more common, she said, was teachers not liking to give up control, like yours), but she still helped a ton and provided a rational perspective that I needed.

As for the recommendation, I'm sure your CT won't fail you, and not having a recommendation letter from your CT is NOT the end of the world. I didn't even ask mine, as we were not on good terms by the end, but it was not an issue. I got letters from others who had seen me teach. In that regard, I think asking the principal to observe you is a good idea. In interviews, I never mentioned my frustrations, only what I accomplished, and I was offered a few full-time teaching jobs in a tough market. Good luck! You are capable, you will make it through, and I think you sound like you'll be a great teacher. You will be fine!!

29. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 21, 2012

Pete,
    I already started...she sent me an email late last night in response to a question I had...and I answered it with asking if we could please get together as early as possible so I could use her expertise in planning things and she was very happy and responded with a lengthy email going over all the things we can do together this upcoming week.

Maybe I wasn't making her feel "needed" enough. I am one of those people who gets embarrassed sometimes asking questions in fear of looking stupid. :eek: I think that added to her frustration. If I am not asking her questions and expecting her to just keep volunteering info, that is bound to get frustrating for anyone.

I will say this.. I have not lacked for insight. She has given me copies of her plans to go by, many resources to use, etc. She hasn't handed me over the room and said "See you later"; she is really trying in her way to teach me, and for that I am appreciative. But I am trying now to put myself in her shoes, and if my student never asked me for help, when I knew I had a wealth to offer, I would feel somewhat unnecessary, and I could see that having an effect on her overall demeanor. I still feel there are some things we do differently, but that's part of life, no one thinks 100% the same all of the time.

So tomorrow is a new day, and I am going to get there bright and early when the sun comes up ready to work, list of questions in hand. I'll keep you posted as to if it makes a difference or not.

On a positive note, I guess she isn't planning on kicking me to the curb, because in her email she talked about how the 6 week unit in language arts I am starting with next week will carry me through to the end of my student teaching. If she sees me there until the end, I guess I am doing ok. :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  30. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Jan 4, 2013

Hi everyone.. have not been on in a few weeks.
    I ended up leaving my placement and I am now with a wonderful 1st grade class and will finish my remaining 6 weeks. The teacher I am with is a friend of a another good friend and so far my experience is like day and night from the previous one. My new teacher has been teaching for 20+ years, we went to the same high school, have mutual friends and most of all, almost identical teaching styles. :) I must admit this other placement was making me doubt my ability as a teacher. Thankfully that has passed.

I would have chosen to remain to the end because I do not quit easily, but after my supervising professor spoke to her, he felt she had unrealistic expectations and was not someone who should have taken on a student teacher. My university will not ever place a student with her again.

I wish things had gone differently, but everything happens for a reason, and I am now in a much more supportive environment.

Happy New Year to everyone. :)

Our area had a great deal of damage from Sandy, so due to that my professors were able to use it as an "out" to have me end my position with the other teacher. It was better than risking her giving me any negative evaluations.

I felt bad because due to the hurricane I was not able to say goodbye to the kids, and the last week I was there she was extra rough on them.. A parent had also called to complain that week that his daughter would rather go to the student teacher for help than her, and she was not happy about that at all.

31. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Jan 4, 2013

I don't know what happened to my post; the order I wrote it is all wrong, but I think you all get the gist. ;)

32. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Jan 5, 2013

I am glad to hear you are in a more supportive environment! Good luck to you as you finish student teaching.

33. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 6, 2013

I'm sorry that experience was horrible for you.

I also had a horrible time student teaching, but I learned a lot. (Mostly, what not to do. :unsure:) I'll never forget, I was talking to everyone at my college from about the third week out. At the end, I wrote a letter to the dean of education. Asking if future sts wouldn't get placed there. As my ct, as your's did, was usng them to do her work and had been having a st every semester for YEARS. :dizzy: I got a reply saying ct would not be removed from their list. I bet ct has a st teacher right now.

34. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Jan 6, 2013

I do not have control over other Universities, but my University has definitely placed this particular teacher on a "do not place" list, so she will not be getting any more teachers from them. She will also not be getting the professional development credits or the payment since she did not complete any of the required observation forms. The current CT will receive the benefits.

I can't say I did not learn from this experience, and it's important to mention that I would have stayed for the entire experience, but the hurricane and subsequent damage aided in the decision to finish the placement elsewhere.