during projects

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by WaterfallLady, Jan 14, 2010.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2010

During projects, do you let your HS students use hot glue guns? I am afraid to and do it for them. They are really responsible and wouldn't burn each other, but I am worried they will hurt themselves by accident.

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 14, 2010

I would try it being VERY observant of what they are doing.

They also make low temp ones that wouldn't hurt as bad if they accidently got it on their fingers.

I guess I'm coming from the mindset of an art teacher. Give them all the proper information and give them a chance to take ownership themselves. If you are watching them carefully, you'll be able to stop them before they hurt themselves and show them what was about to happen before it does...if that makes sense!

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 14, 2010

Every time I use one of those things I burn myself about three or four times.:lol:

Yeah, make it a center where you can keep the guns limited to one or two or maybe three going. Easier to watch if you limit access.

I would not give them all glue guns and let them go at it wholesale. Your back would be to too many potential accidents.

5. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Jan 14, 2010

yes - they are high school students

6. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 15, 2010

I suppose I would let them use a limited amount. It only hurts themselves if they use it irresponsibly and they'll learn fast the hard way.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2010

The OP is a special ed teacher.

I'm not sure about the disabillities of the kids you're dealing with-- I would imagine that has a LOT to do with the decision!! Learning the hard way isn't always the appropriate way to learn.

If you think they can handle it, it sounds as though one central place where you can watch sound like the best idea.

8. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jan 17, 2010

Have a current student who went to the ER for her burn- didn't realize the glue gun was dripping and brought it across her hand during art class. Since Thanksgiving and still not fully healed.

Have a bowl of cold water handy if you do use hot glue. Train your kids to dunk their hand immediately if they accidently encounter the glue.

9. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jan 17, 2010

I would - my student use much more dangerous things in their Chem class. However, I would make it ONE station. That way, I could keep an eye on it. As well, we would discuss safety, etc. And I would make the same rules as my chem lab (ie - horsing around, dangerous behaviour, etc. means they leave the room immediately, get a phone call home, and can only finish the assignment with me after school).

10. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2010

I decided not to, for the main reason that some of them have impaired motor skills or seizures- I have one kid who has multiple seizures a day. I'd feel really mean if I said these kids can use the glue gun but these kids can't.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2010

I have let mine before. I put it in a central place where I can monitor it. Like some other posters said, if they are in shop or chem, for example, they are using far more potentially hazardous supplies.

For the OP though, the best choice was probably not to let them use them.