Dunkin Donuts

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by newbie87, Feb 26, 2010.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 26, 2010

I was talking to my friend on the phone about Dunkin Donuts. WHere I live they're like Starbucks. I.e. You can;t drive like five minutes without seeing one. On my bus commute I see 5 of them. :eek: Anyway, I was telling her I don't like their products that much but prefer their coffee to donuts. Their breakfast meals to their donuts. I.e. everything I've tried, I've liked better than their donuts. IMO their donuts always taste stale. I think they "promise" (the company) to make them fresh, but any time I've order donuts for someone or an event they've been like "we're out of X donut and we're not making them anymore" and this has never been really late. :unsure: Does anyone else Dunkin Donuts donuts to be lacking?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 26, 2010

I hate their donuts. The grocery stores in my area have much better ones. I rarely eat donuts but when I do I don't want stale ones!

4. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Feb 26, 2010

Our DD is sooooo ghetto. They don't sell any of those fancy sandwiches there. And I don't eat donuts regularly, but if I did, those would NOT be the ones to buy. They look DRY.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 26, 2010

The jelly donuts are the worst. There's a splotch of jelly and the rest of it is just dry dough lol

6. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 26, 2010

^^^You know my mom has a friend called "jelly donuts" because he loves them from anywhere. So, he asks me to get him one for where ever's closests and I go to DD. He does "WTF?! Where's all the powder sugar?!". The donut had like a few grains of sugar on it. They're very cheap. Other donut shops slather their donuts in powder sugar.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 26, 2010

I love Dunkin! It's the only coffee I buy (when I'm out and when I brew at home) and I get a bagel sandwich there about once a week. I hardly ever get their donuts, but I've never thought they were gross or tasted stale.

8. Ross

Ross Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

I was told that in some states there are local municipal codes that mandate a Dunkin Donuts be positioned every few blocks. :haha:

9. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised. I see cops in there all time. Honestly, though, I wouldn't eat their donuts if you paid me. I'm just surprised they're so popular. I've had a donut in the ones near me, and ones in two other states (NY and FL), and they NEVER taste fresh. Even at like 7 am. I think I'm just amazed that a place that has donuts in their name makes such bad donuts.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2010

We just had our first DD open in our town but Krispy Kreme still beats them hands down!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2010

I LOVE Dunkin Donuts Jelly Donuts!!!!!

But you have to eat them fresh; they do get stale fast. The next day they're just not good.

That said, I've never bought one and found it to be stale.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 27, 2010

I think their bagels are good. I'll only drink the coffee if I have a coupon or I run out. I'm just used to my own coffee and prefer to drink it at home.

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 27, 2010

I think their donuts are great. Not that I go that often, but when I do I usually get a glazed and it's always been tasty. Then again, the two that I go to are super busy so maybe they just make them more often than others.

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2010

:yeahthat: :agreed:
    There is nothing like a Dunkin Donuts "Old Fashioned" you can dunk it, you can dress it up, etc.
    Krispy Kreme are great BUT they are just too "sweet" for my taste
    http://www.krispykreme.com/doughnuts.pdf
    Dunkin Donuts https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/nutrition/nutrition.pdf
    [​IMG]
    Mmm Donuts

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2010

Some DDs actually make the donuts, others (I think MOST) get them delivered...

Their jellies are good by me, too, Alice...and have lots of jelly in them- not just a blob and lots of dough like one of the earlier posts has experienced...it definitely depends on 'who is making the donuts'.

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 27, 2010

I live in a huge city, and we have to drive all the way to the other side of town to find a Dunkin Donuts. :( We also don't have any Krispy Kreme stores. We have Shipley's, though, and they are magical. :)

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2010

Do you know why Cops are found in Donut shops?

Most Donut shops are open 24/7
    it is a good place to be able to sit down and complete paper work with out going back to the station house. and most Donut shops give free refills (many Donut shops give stuff free to cops).

When I worked late at a pizza place we gave cops everything free.
    After 8:00 pm we would have at least one cop stop in and STAY for about 45 min at a time, some nights the cop would be there until closing kind of gave you a secure feeling :)

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 27, 2010

I get an extra large tea there every morning. It's just easier. But I might start making it at school now that we have a keurig.

Now onto the donuts. The jelly donuts have gone down hill. They used to have jelly in them. Now it's like one little spot in the middle. The last two times I had a chocolate butternut it tasted like SOAP! Their muffins lately have been stale, unless you get the specialty muffin of the month. Which is chocolate this month. I don't feel like chocolate every morning. I did like the pumpkin muffin, but they don't have those right now.

19. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Feb 27, 2010

I prefer DD coffee to pretty much everything else, as well. I rarely eat their donuts, but I've never thought they were bad (but that could be because any donut tastes good when you haven't eaten any in a long time!). Krispy Kremes are too sweet for me.

I do like Tim Horton's, though. Their coffee is pretty good and I had a piece of a glazed donut that tasted yummy, as well. I never think to go there, though, which is weird because it's right down the street from DD here.

20. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Feb 27, 2010

One of student's parents own a local Dunkin Donuts. I stop there every once in awhile to get coffee, but don't really like it. It's only if I forget my tumblers at home. But I do give out lots of DD coupons in my treasure box thanks to my student's parents!

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 27, 2010

We don't have a Starbucks close to us. And krispy Kremes aren't even in our state. We do have a Tim Hortons about 30 mins away.

22. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 27, 2010

I like their donuts! I really like the Cruellers (totally spelling wrong, but that is how I pronounced it since I was young). I could go for one right now:)

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 27, 2010

I think they call them sticks now Sue.

24. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 27, 2010

We didn't have any Starbucks until a few years ago and they're still few and far between (one every 20-30 miles or so). We still don't have any Krispy Kremes and there are only a few Tim Hortons that I know of.

25. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 27, 2010

I raaaarely ever get anything to eat at DD, but their tea is awesome! I used to get a cup of tea in Penn Station for the train ride home EVERY time I was there. Suddenly a few months ago all the Dunkin Donuts were replaced by this "Hot and Crusty" place (I'm sorry, I can't even bring myself to try something from a food place with "crusty" in the name LoL) and now I'm stuck with Starbucks. Super disappointing!

That said, I have had DD donuts in the past, and I never had any trouble with them. But I'm not picky at all- I'll even eat them the next day.

26. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Feb 27, 2010

I like DD. We used to not have them around here, but they've been popping up over the last 2 years. Someone at school will bring in a couple dozen and put them in our lounge every now and then -- I like the chocolate cake ones the best. :) When we tailgate during football season we bring a Box o Joe with us for everyone to share.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2010

Thanks, Dave! I'm sure police officers are appreciative of businesses like the one for which you worked.

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2010

We couldn't survive here in Canada without Tim Horton's!

29. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2010

Our Dunkin Donuts closed down well over 15 years ago; so I haven't had one since then! But, I did love them when we had a DD.

Like all donuts; unless they're eaten fresh; they're stale. YUCK.

I've heard great things about their coffee and it's sold bagged in our local grocery store as well as Starbucks coffee.

Just the other day, I put a stale donut in the microwave; YUM!

30. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2010

I haven't been to a Dunin Donuts in years. That ws the place to go "after hours" when I was in college. The only 24-hour places were Dunkin Donuts and Waffle House. The Waffle House was nasty & had lots of seedy characters hanging around. Dunkin Donuts was great. I loved their donuts.

All donuts are nasty unless they're freshly made. The store ones are packed full of preservatives to keep them shelf stable.

There isn't any kind of donut place anywhere around here. When I go to the "big city", I'll sometimes get a Krispy Kreme. I don't eat many donuts. They're too sweet for me.

31. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

I've always wanted to try them, but there's not one close to where I live. :(

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2010

I am NOT a Krispy Kreme fan-- they're wayyyyyy too sweet for me!

Happily, I can walk to 2 different Dunkin Donuts :)

And I don't drink coffee, so Starbucks does nothing for me.

33. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 27, 2010

I just looked up Krispy Kreme and the closest is in Quebec and second closest is in CT.

34. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

Come to think of it, I'm a pumpkin FREAK and :wub: their pumpkin muffins. I don't know about where you live, but here they used to do Oct-Novemeber Pumpkin muffins. Now, they only do it November. Which is strange, because if you're going to cut it to one month, I think October makes more sense. :dizzy: That made me annoyed. So, I don't even bother to get it when it's there.

35. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 27, 2010

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 27, 2010

We actually had them Oct., Nov, and Dec.

37. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

^^^I'm thinking about 3-4 (Maybe 5?) years ago when they first brought them out here, they were here Like Oct-Dec. Then, it changed 2 years ago to Oct-Nov. This year, it was just Novemember. So, I was all forget this. lol

38. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

I love Krispy Kremes! Especially warm, right off the conveyer belt....But I enjoy really sweet things.(Not good for my "healthier eating" attempt) We aren't near a Krispy Kreme or a DD-which is probably good...:)

39. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 27, 2010

My son worked at DD. There was a button on the register he used for the police. It offered them their own discount.

40. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2010

I like most DDs. I love their coffee and donuts, but the donuts are usually only good in the morning. I also loved those flat bread sandwiches and I used to run in and get them for lunch when there was one by my old school. They weren't many calories, either.

I do have a scary DD story though. When I would go home from college my friend and I would meet up there because it was the only place in my home town open late. We were the only 2 in there one night, and the guy that worked there was acting so weird. He barely spoke 2 words of English. He kept wanting to hug us. Then he brought us over a bag of free donuts. Then he sat at the counter and STARED at us, like almost drooling on himself. We started to get creeped out, so we quickly jumped up to leave. He came around the counter and hugged my friend as we left. We ran to the car and got in. I looked in my review mirror as I backed out and he was coming up behind the car. I told my friend and she thought I was trying to scare her, but then we looked over and he was in my window - with my purse! In our hurry to get out of there, I had left it sitting right at the table. When I put the window down to take it, he kissed me on the cheek. It was sooo weird and creepy.

41. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 27, 2010

This reminds me of my cousin who used to live above a nail salon. One night she heard screaming and like banging. So, she called the cops. She came to find out two girls were there and the owner locked them in and tried to rape them.