"Dune's Island" - A Free Video Learning Series for Your Classrooms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Eric Matyas, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Eric Matyas

Eric Matyas Rookie

Oct 30, 2019

Hi everyone, I've created an environmental learning series that aims to teach kids stewardship and coastal science concepts in a fun and engaging way through stories and characters. The series was made in partnership with the Marine Science Center in Volusia County, Florida. There are five episodes so far as well as four support documentaries that are freely available to watch on Vimeo. You can also download them to watch offline if need be. We are currently developing new series and are always trying to improve so any and all feedback is welcome and very much appreciated. I sincerely hope that some of our films are helpful! :)

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 30, 2019

Thank you, how do we find them on Vimeo?

4. Eric Matyas

Eric Matyas Rookie

Oct 30, 2019

You're very welcome! Links to the other episodes are in the video descriptions on Vimeo. You can also see the entire series here:

https://vimeo.com/showcase/6574338

I hope they are helpful! :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 31, 2019

If they are free, you might consider posting the Vimeo addresses for your series on the thread that is especially created for free teacher resources - https://forums.atozteacherstuff.com...t-pd-lesson-plans-and-resources-enjoy.190124/.

It is a thread that is pinned, or continually saved, making it just right for sharing links such as this. You will find that it is generally found easily when you click on "Recent Posts", since people add to it frequently. You don't have to post your resource there, but the thread is well established, and people know what it is all about. Additionally, this thread may soon fall off of the Recent Posts radar if it doesn't remain active, but the Free Resources thread is posted to almost daily, meaning that the thread will not get lost due to inactivity. Let me thank you for posting free resources for the members here.

6. Eric Matyas

Eric Matyas Rookie

Oct 31, 2019

Hi Vickilyn, you're very welcome...and thanks for the tip! I hope some of our films are helpful and inspire learning! :)

7. Eric Matyas

Eric Matyas Rookie

Nov 5, 2019

Hi everyone, here's the second episode of my free video learning series, "Dune's Island." You can watch it on Vimeo or download it so you can share it with your students offline. Any and all feedback is welcome and very much appreciated. Enjoy! :)

8. jaley

jaley New Member

Nov 5, 2019

Thank you for the video series, that's wonderful!
    I was curious if you had any thoughts on how to best implement this series to get the best learning experience. What kinds of things could a class do before, during, or after watching in order to ensure they can use the information they've learned?
    Thank you!

9. Eric Matyas

Eric Matyas Rookie

Nov 6, 2019

Hi Jaley, you're very welcome! When I created "Dune's Island", my intent was to make something that teachers could use as a springboard to create lessons. The school district in the county where "Dune's Island" was made did just that: they put together a team of educators and created their own custom curriculum to accompany the series. The curriculum is for grades K-5 and is based on Florida Science Standards. It covers vocabulary, math problems, the central message of each episode, writing prompts, and other things like poster problems (students create posters to address specific problems in the episodes,) comparing living/nonliving things, adaptations and all kinds of other activities. Feel free to email me and I'll be happy to share what they did...it might give you some ideas! :)

10. Eric Matyas

Eric Matyas Rookie

Nov 11, 2019

Hi folks, here's the third episode of my free learning series, "Dune's Island." In this one, the kids learn about the diverse ecosystems of the island as they search for a lost treasure chest left by Dune's great grandfather, a naturalist. I've had positive feedback from teachers who like the mystery element of this episode. I'd love to hear your thoughts, too!

11. Eric Matyas

Eric Matyas Rookie

Nov 17, 2019

This is the fourth episode of my free video learning series, "Dune's Island." Upon returning from a weekend kayak trip, Mouth discovers that her favorite tern, Vern, was released back into the wild. Heartbroken that she didn't get to say goodbye to her feathered friend, she and Dune embark into the world of shorebirds and attempt to spot Vern before he flies away with his flock. Enjoy and please share! :)

12. Eric Matyas

Eric Matyas Rookie

Nov 26, 2019

Here's the fifth episode of my free learning series, "Dune's Island." Please feel free to share with colleagues!

SYNOPSIS:

Mouth discovers a discarded sandwich bag on the beach that suspiciously smells like one of Tiny's stinky sandwiches. Convinced that Tiny is the culprit, she sets out to catch him in the act of littering. Meanwhile, Jordi learns how deadly trash can be to marine life and how we can all help to protect the ocean and the animals that live in it.

LEARNING CONCEPTS IN THIS EPISODE

-The beach is divided into zones.
    -Different sized objects can be found in the various zones.
    -Coral identification.
    -Sea Bean identification.
    -Discarded plastic bags can kill sea turtles.
    -Discarded soda can rings can be lethal to marine animals.
    -Beach clean-up.
    -Trash that is thrown overboard from ships often finds its way back to shore.
    -Animals can get their heads stuck in cans.
    -Animals sometimes ingest plastics which can kill them.
    -Discarded fishing line kills birds and turtles when they ingest it.
    -Discarded fishing line kills birds and turtles when they get tangled in it.
    -Trash in the ocean can take years to decompose.
    -Tin cans in the ocean can take 50 years to decompose.
    -Plastic six-pack rings in the ocean can take 400 years to break down.
    -Fishing line in the ocean can take 600 years to break down.
    -The importance of disposing of trash properly.