Dumb questions about weight loss

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Bella2010, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 9, 2014

I'm tired of feeling old, fat, and ugly. I'm getting back on WW, which helped me lose my postpartum baby weight. I gained it all back, obviously, or else I wouldn't be here typing this, lol.

Did you all tell your family and close friends you were trying to lose weight? In the past, I've always told my parents and DH that I was trying it again. But then when I fail, it's like I fail even more people which makes me feel like an even bigger loser than if I were the only one to know about my failure.

I would like to lose about 40 lbs. I don't even know how many times I've started and failed. :( Anyone out there want to share what made them get in gear and stick with it? I've got the biggest reason in the world, a wonderful little boy, but I still can't get it together.

TIA,

Beth

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 9, 2014

Learning how to deal with stress other than eating.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 9, 2014

That's easier said than done.

You don't have to tell them. Just try to eat healthier and exercise if you can. If the weight comes off and they notice, great! Do it for you and don't worry about what they say or think. Also, easier said than done.

My husband has weight loss surgery back in July and didn't tell any of his family until after the fact. He thought he was a failure because he couldn't lose weight without surgery.

Don't worry about this others. If you need support, you can find it on here!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 9, 2014

Considering your past weight loss issue of failing, I wouldn't tell people. Actions speak louder than words. I'd just do my best & they'll (hopefully) soon see the difference w/ their own eyes. That way, if I failed again, they wouldn't know I was attempting yet again & having a hard time losing.

I can relate to your situation. My mom's constantly, constantly on me to lose some weight (I'd say she's somewhat obsessed), esp since I've lived on my own (almost 2.5 yrs). We talk on the phone daily in which she talks about weight loss sometimes, but about every couple wks, she'll say, "That stomach should be down by now, right?" I just say yeah to keep her happy.

I literally dread visiting my parents sometimes because the way I look won't show that I've lost enough & then I'll have to hear it from my mom. I usually wear all blk clothing so I look as slim as possible when I visit them. This is no way to live! :(:mad:

I should finally be honest w/ her & tell her that her constant lecturing & badgering isn't helping & that because of that, I literally dread coming to see them. Then I should say that I know she wouldn't want it to come to that, but that's how bad she is.

Then I've heard countless x's about how she only wants me to be healthy & that I could look so much better (yeah, in her eyes), etc. I understand where she's coming from, but her constant badgering isn't the way to do it. It's like having a constant person in my ear or on my back about it every day of my life. :mad:

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 9, 2014

Sorry, I was just trying to answer the question about what worked for me. :unsure:

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 9, 2014

Oh, I totally understand... been there, done that myself. I'm a boredom eater. It helps that hubby has had weight loss surgery and my daughter is on a special program through a medical college. We don't have junk food in the house anymore. I've lost 10 lbs but find myself still wanting to snack when I'm out on my own. Like I'm sneaking food.

8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 9, 2014

I wouldn't tell anybody, that way if you fall off the wagon, you can pick yourself up gracefully and not feel like others are in judgment of you.

Figure out what works for you and stick with it. I have had three babies and weigh 113 lbs (5'2") and I haven't seen 107 (what I was before kids since after I had my first). I can't lose these five pounds, for nothing. If I count calories, I gain weight. If I exercise, I gain weight. If I starve myself, I gain weight. I have researched and TRIED everything. The only two things that work for maintaining my weight are: 1) eating fattening foods, seriously, because I have no gallbladder and it goes right through me. If I start eating healthy, bam, I will be pushing 120 and 2) undergoing extreme stress (when I'm anxious I won't eat for days), and then I drop down even more.

My body is the complete opposite of what is normal I have learned. Figure out your body and what will help you to lose weight and then go for it, but if you're anything like me it's going to be a trial and error process.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 9, 2014

It really does boil down to a matter of sucking it up and doing what needs to be done. If it were easy, nobody would struggle with it. I didn't know how hard it was to lose weight. I'd never done it because I was always within normal range and really didn't need to change anything.

I gained 100 pounds on steroids, and it just would not come off. Last year I decided to change. First, i reduced my calories. I ate the same stuff, just stuck to calorie restrictions. Next, I started changing the types of foods I ate. Switched to whole grains. Increased protein. Cut sugar and most processed foods. Finally, I added exercise other than walking the treadmill at the gym.

From mid October last year to April this year I lost 46 pounds. I slacked over the summer. I'm getting back on track now before I start gaining it back.

I did not tell people what I was doing because I did not want to open myself up to people offering advice and policing my activity and food. I knew what to do. I was doing it. I wasn't looking for assistance.

Good luck with it.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2014

I lost about 40 pounds about 6 years ago (and have kept it off). I had to tell my husband so he would understand my eating habits, but I didn't tell anyone else. I think you have to tell the people you dine and drink with so they don't press you when you say no to certain foods.

11. Harper

Harper Companion

Nov 9, 2014

Beth, I am in the same boat ith you. Have used WW very successfully, but eventually did gain it back. Looking back, I went at it with the "diet" mindset and did not really try to find long term ways to adjust my habits. For example, I was fine eating same thing for breakfast and lunch everyday because I knew I could stay on track with it. I told myself that only had to eat them until I hit goal. I never came up with other alternatives. I was so bored with them by the time I hit goal, I went straight back to bagels! :whistle: I eat and drink from stress and boredom. My whole family eats and drinks as their form of socialization. Makes it tough to maintain good habits.

So, I guess I don't have any answers, but I sympathize. I have 35 pounds to lose and they won't go anywhere without some effort!

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2014

Nope I did not.
    I decided to change one small thing at a time.
    When that seemed habit or controlled, I changed one more small thing. Yesterday it was no more Diet Pepsi although that is a big thing for me.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2014

My sister has a young cocker spaniel who she has taught to leave a treat or piece of food until he is told he can have it. It was his first birthday this week, and he was pictured staring intently but not eating his BD treat. Posted on facebook, I did message her that it is too bad that no one ever trained us as well as she has trained the dog! Sis has lost a ton of weight through WW, but she has embraced the lifestyle changes that really are at the heart of that system. WW is still the gold standard of good sense and doable instruction, but sometimes when the weight to lose seems huge, the slow and steady routine is depressing. There are, of course, no magic pills or remedies, but as long as we care enough to try to lose the weight, there is hope. Now if my sister could just train me to not eat sweets until someone said it was OK, I would be a happy camper! :lol:

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 9, 2014

I decided to tell people this time, and honestly it has helped me a lot. I have a long history of trying and failing also. I would lose 10-15 pounds and then gain it right back and then some. My family lives in another state and I would find that every time I went home for a visit I'd get off track because we'd eat out all the time and I wasn't exercising- and then I wouldn't go back to my healthy habits once the visit was over either. I started trying to lose weight again in May and went for a visit in June, so I hadn't lost much yet but was explaining what I was doing and my family was extremely supportive. I ended up losing a pound the week I was there- which has definitely never happened before! My mom will ask how it's going every once in awhile, and that keeps me on track. I also think it's important for my friends to know so that they don't badger me to eat/drink certain things when we go out, or bring me treats at work. I got a little off track around my birthday, and my mom sent me a $100 gift certificate to buy some new, smaller clothes. That really motivated me to get back on track because I kept thinking about how embarrassing it would be to back for the holidays and have gained the weight back/not lost anymore. I've lost 27 pounds and seeing family for Thanksgiving is really motivating me to hit my 30 pound goal for Thanksgiving. People didn't really notice until I got to around 20 pounds lost, then it seemed like all at once people were raving about how skinny I was getting! I feel like not telling people in the past gave me an easy out- if I didn't keep at it, I wasn't accountable to anyone but myself and people didn't have to know. It's almost like setting yourself up to accept failure!

I'm doing WW also- have tried and failed many times, but I feel like I am successful this time because I am adopting changes that I really can stick to for the rest of my life. I have lost weight slowly- the 27 pounds has taken almost 6 months and I started off 45 pounds overweight to begin with. However, it is worth the wait because nothing I'm doing is something I can't stick to forever. I still have treats and drinks with my friends- I just try to balance that with working out and eating healthy the rest of the day. I've also gotten a lot more into cooking and figuring out foods that are healthy and that I actually want to eat. I don't eat bland foods because they are "healthy." I find that I honestly don't crave large servings of food anymore- I am so much better at only eating when I am actually hungry and then only having one serving.

Finally, I really ramped up my exercise by taking fitness classes. I've been going to the gym since May, but for the first several months I was doing a lot of walking and easy things like the recumbent bike, thinking that I wasn't fit enough to try anything else. Some work friends convinced me to try the boot camp class that we have at work once a week, and it literally changed the entire way I workout! It is hard, but being in class makes you push yourself harder than you would by yourself, and you realize that you can do a lot more than you originally thought. Two months ago I completely eliminated walking and biking from my workout and now do a solid 60 minutes of really intensive cardio when I workout on my own. I also take a strength training class twice per week and my work bootcamp once per week. This has been so motivating because I can literally feel myself getting stronger and fitter each week, even if the scale didn't move that much. Plus, with all the calories I'm burning I gain a lot more flexibility with my diet.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2014

It truly sounds like you have all of your ducks in a row - I wish you all the best. Get back to us as the weight drops off!

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 9, 2014

I started last January, and just recently hit 30 pounds of weight loss. I'm now at my goal weight. I started by tracking food in MyFitnessPal and daily workout at home. I can't afford a gym, and if I wait until the kids get up, it'll be 9:00 at night before I get another chance. My phone alarm is set for 5:00 am and says "No excuses," so I can't hit snooze! There are a ton of free workout videos for all fitness levels on YouTube.

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2014

This is the method I use. In my experience, counting calories is the way to lose weight and keep it off. I use MyFitnessPal too because it is ad free and easy to use. Also, it keeps me honest. When i gain a few pounds, it is no mystery! And its easy to get back on track. Of course, a part of me would love to have a big dessert every night or a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast, but they just wont fit into my daily caloric limits.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 9, 2014

I joined a weight loss support group and only my husband knows. The people at work eventually figured out I don't eat certain stuff. It took a while but now they just don't offer it to me. I don't see my family a whole lot but when I do I tend to eat less than they do but eating healthy most of the time lets me indulge if I do happen to go out (maybe once every 2 months?). I did WW a few different times and all it did was teach me how to find low point junk food. They push their low point products but they are not healthy. You are better off eating a hard boiled egg for a snack than one of their highly processed bars. Eat real food and you will be better off. Don't say you're on a diet. Tell yourself this is just a new way to eat. I have a Fitbit pedometer and I make sure I get over 10,000 steps a day. If I see myself only at 8,000 then I sure as heck better get those extra steps before I even think about having an after dinner snack! I have lost about 20 lbs and have kept it off for over a year. I probably should lose 5-10 more but since it's a miracle I've kept that much off for this long I'm giving myself a little leeway and not putting a time limit on the last few lbs.

19. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 9, 2014

You both make awesome points! I never thought about it that way, but looking back I completely did both of these.

I lost about 10 pounds using MFP about a year ago. I think that's the way I'm going to do again. It's like I've tried and failed so many time that I'm afraid of failure, but for crying out loud I just need to suck it up and do it. :blush:

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences. :)

20. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Nov 9, 2014

I had three surgeries in the past year. Due to the medication I was on (good stuff), I rarely ate and ended up losing about 35 pounds, all from my waistline. Put me at 6' tall, 160 pounds. :woot:

Now, after my son had a nice haul on Halloween, I've gained a ton of weight over a short period of time...darn those peanut butter cups! :lol: The holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas) are rough for everyone around the mid-section, but thankfully we can wear less revealing clothing due to the colder weather.

I've cut back on the sweets and snack on raw carrots and apples. I'm probably about 175 to 180 now, but want to get back down to 165 by March. Dropping 10 to 15 pounds normally wouldn't be too hard, but I cannot exercise due to my physical limitations, so I have to do it on diet alone. Am hoping it won't be too much of an issue...will just take some willpower. :thumb:

21. Harper

Harper Companion

Nov 9, 2014

I have not tried MFP. I might, but I stil have my WW online account, so I think I will give that another go. That said, I. Eed to pay attention to the principles at the heart of the program and not "work the system." Funny - I should not find counting calories to be more challenging than Points, but I do.:blush:

TeachNY is so right about the snacks they sell. Just eat an egg! Same points, more filling! Good luck to all on their journeys...

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2014

I'm not a nutritionist, but because I am an avid runner and I lift weights, I've started researching food and nutrition. Some things that I think may be helpful in losing weight:
    1) track your calories
    2) eat more fats (healthy ones like walnuts, avocado, and coconut oil) and less carbs
    3) watch your sugar level!

I love to listen to Jillian Michael's podcast and one of the things she always grills her callers about when they call in about how to lose weight or why aren't they able to stick to their diet is WHY do you want to lost weight. You need a CLEAR goal/end result/reason for losing weight or else you won't have that drive, that motivation to stick to a healthy lifestyle.

23. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 9, 2014

My husband and I did Nutri System together for two months, and have now been using My Fitness Pal to keep us in line while using healthy eating and portion control we learned doing Nutri System. We've each lost about 35 pounds in three months or so. Learning to choose healthy proteins and carbs and learning portions has really helped. Also, doing it together!

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 10, 2014

There are so many "tips" and diet information out there. You just have to find what's right for you. That old saying, "everything in moderation" does not work for some people. Sometimes you just have to NOT eat certain things.
    I agree with the poster who mentioned healthy fats and less carbs.

25. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2014

I don't know how much I have lost exactly because I didn't weigh myself at the beginning, but I think it is right around 100 pounds which took a couple of years to do.

At first, I did not tell anyone because I didn''t want the pressure if I failed. Then people started noticing and I got a lot of positive reinforcement which was nice.

I made a series of small changes that added up in the long run. I cut out all drinks with calories. I tracked calories and activity daily and didn't go to bed unless calories expended were over those eaten so I exercised at night watching t.v. if I needed to burn off some more. I walked a lot. I cut carbs down and started bringing lunches more than eating out. I drank a glass of water before I ate. I parked further away. No miracles - just small things that caused a gradual weight loss over time.

Oh, and I didn't deny myself foods I liked and I didn't give up if I had a bad day. I am a stress/emotional eater so I paid more attention to why I was eating.

Anyway, good luck! You can do it!

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 10, 2014

Good tip about drinking water before meals. Sometimes it seems like you're starving and can eat a ton of food but you could be just dehydrated. After drinking the water you can clearly assess how hungry you really are.

27. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Nov 11, 2014

There are never dumb weight loss questions!

In general, I don't make a point to tell people I'm on a "diet". Partially because I don't like calling it a diet because that seems like a temporary thing, when in reality, to be successful, it needs to be an all over lifestyle change. And on the other end of things I don't want family questioning my food choices when I do have an "off" eating meal.

Having a workout/"diet" buddy can help though. It can help keep you accountable and motivated so you know you aren't alone. It's also good to have someone to work with and bounces idea off of, whether it's a workout or a meal idea.

I've started and stopped more times than I can count, but you only fail if you stop trying.

My motivation right now it slightly embarrasing... but I am a huge nerd and am hoping to attend Comic Con (Aka: nerd convention) and I want to dress up and look great... not skimpy, but still hot. Putting inspiring photos and quotes around my home help, especially on the fridge.

I also made a connection with a Nutrition shop in my town and the owner is amazing and motivating. I had her take my measurments and determine my body fat ratio and each month I go to her to check my progress. Knowing I have to go back since she knows my name (and is now a facebook friend) helps keep me motivated.

The biggest thing I can tell you is that when you start, don't stop. Even if that means you fall off the wagon, jump back on and keep moving. So you had a bad meal, or a bad few meals, or a bad couple days, keep going. Each meal and every day is an opportunity for a fresh start. Also, you don't have to begin on a certain day. I know a lot of people think "Monday, I'll start Monday", when in reality Monday is probably the hardest day because it begins the work week.

On your weekends shop and plan for your meals so that you are ready during the week and don't end up with "whatever".

If you want an accountability buddy I'd be happy to help. I enjoy talking fitness and health, and while I have a long road to get where I want to be I do have a lot of knowledge.

You can do it. :)

EDIT:::

You also don't have to "go big or go home". You can start with small changes and then go from there. Simple things like reducing sugar (make sure not to overdo the fruits, they have tons of sugar no matter how "natural" it is) and making sure each meal has a Protein, Carb, and Veggie. (Protein portions should be the size and thickness of your palm, carbs the size of your fist.)

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 11, 2014

I think that's good advise overall but I am wondering if the OP has ever had her blood sugar checked. If it is on the high side I would suggest limiting carbs/sugar more than most people do. I know it is the general idea to have balanced meals but some people are sensitive to carbs and a portion at every meal could be keeping them from losing weight. This is the case with some people and they just don't know it. Just something to maybe check with your doctor on.

29. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 11, 2014

I'm kind of in the same boat. I was always able to lose weight, it wasn't easy, but I could do it, and different things worked at different times. There was a phase when I only ate soup, and I lost a lot, and kept it off. Another time I started eating 100% clean (always a good thing) took fat burners, and lost a lot of fat real quick, and kept it off for a long time. I bought the nutribullet, but although it's healthy and wonderful, I couldn't loose weight with it.
    Interestingly exercise was never part of it, not much anyways.

I think I was more active before overall, but in the past year 10 lbs snuk up, I don't know how, and the year and a half before about 15-20 or so. Too much too quickly. And the past year I have been very unhappy about it and very aware and tried to lose it.

So I have about 30 lbs to lose to feel good and look the way I want, and another 10 to be where I was 5-6 years ago, pretty much my realistic ideal weight for myself.

I know all about nutrition, and can eat 100 % clean. Usually I eat pretty well anyways (no junk, so sweets, no fast food at all, no sodas, etc).

So this is what I'm going to do (already started to some of it is hard)
    - take yoga at least once a week. Started a few weeks ago, and love how it makes me feel. I used to be super flexible, but I've been so stiff, I couldn't believe it. This helps feeling better and being more motivated.
    - start running. This is hard. I guess I'm lazy, but I'm also so out of shape that I can barely run a little. I have been running with my dog, just a huge block , but it's better than nothing. I need to make it more consistent and stick with it. And really push myself.
    - work out at home consistently. I used to work at a gym so I know what to do, I just get side tracked.
    - eat more often. This will be the most helpful. At school it's hard to eat every 2-3 hours but I'm going to try.
    - and just stop being lazy :) I need to get up and do stuff! Especially now it gets dark so early, I just want to put on my PJs at 6 pm (and sometimes do that.)

OP feel free to message me, we can maybe motivate each other :)

30. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 11, 2014

My husband is doing the Couch to 5K right now, and swears by it. It really helps keep him motivated because, while challenging, it sets up reasonable goals for him that are a struggle, but attainable.

31. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2014

For me, diet is MUCH more important than exercise (although my goal is maintaining and not losing weight). I am VERY conscious of what I eat with my focus being on counting calories and grams of sugar more so than fat. I rarely eat white/refined carbs and I only eat meat or chicken once a year (if that).

That being said, I still try to workout religiously - I run at least an hour at a time, 4 to 6 times a week - because running keeps me looking lean and toned. When I eat clean but don't work out; my weight will pretty much stay the same but I lose definition over time. But, when I don't watch what I eat, even if I keep working out, I feel that I gain weight. I have come to the conclusion that, at least for me, a poor diet cannot be "fixed" or remedied by working out 6 days a week.

I have also found that eating clean/healthy is easy for me if I eat the same thing everyday. So, that's what I do, pretty much every day except on Saturday, when I will still eat healthy but try something different. While I know that this is not for everyone; the point is that I think meal planning is very important. Knowing what you're going to eat, when you're going to eat and making sure you have these meals readily accessible is key. Same thing with snacks - only eat pre-planned snacks. I think a lot of people eat absent mindedly or in a rush without much thought to what they are eating and all of these calories add up.

Good Luck OP!

32. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2014

Bless your heart. I definitely understand. I told my MDs for 30 years that I suspected my problem was thyroid, but they only test 2 thyroid functions in a blood test. My chiropractor and nutrionist (in the same office) did other tests and discovered it was indeed thyroid. They told me how to order thyroid over the internet and I've lost 81 pounds. My MD even believes it now.

33. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 15, 2014

I lost 8 lbs in the past 3 weeks :)
    So happy. I've gained this weight in the past 7 months, and now it's gone. I feel so much better and it also shows.
    I have another 32 lbs to go but now it seems doable.
    3 more lbs lost will put me back to where I was in June 2013. I've been trying to lose it, and instead, kept gaining more.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2014

Congrats, Linguist!

35. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 1, 2015

Any MyFitnessPal members here? Message me if you want to be friends on that site. Always easier with friends lol

36. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 1, 2015

Also, if anyone can share any links to their favorite YouTube fitness videos, I would appreciate it!

37. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An3c-0tyX2c

I love this one! They have a lot of videos that I like but this one is my favorite. I usually do one of their videos on a weekend day to change things up from going to the gym. They are only 40 minutes, but it's still a great workout!

38. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 1, 2015

I like Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith on YouTube. Both have a ton of videos to choose from. Leslie's are walking, but Jessica has a mixture of walking and higher impact stuff.

39. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 1, 2015

Today I looked in the mirror & decided I looked bloated. Since my TOMs have become irregular to nonexistent I have gained 20+ lbs. I also was diagnosed with a health concern, but I'm sure that since I have that under control it's not part of my problem. I was 10 lbs overweight before that. So I have 30 lbs to lose. I just didn't have the motivation to do anything. But I look bloated, not healthy.

Gotta lose this weight. Gotta find the motivation, looking bloated has given me a kick in the butt.

40. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2015

Maybe thinking of it in smaller chunks will get you started. Set a goal for losing 10lbs by the end of the spring semester.

I definitely cant eat the way I used to in my 30s. I have to count calories every day or the pounds sneak up very quickly. A good way to start is by finding a BMI daily calorie intake calculator online to see how many calories you can eat daily. Then use a calorie counter like Fitness Pal to track everything you eat and cut out 200 calories per day. You should lose about 2 pounds per month this way.

41. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 2, 2015

Special,

I can't eat the way I did in my 40's! I've broken it up into 3rds, first short term goal is to lose 10 lb by April 30th. I use Spark People & my fitbit.