Dumb question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by becky, Nov 15, 2011.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2011

Is there chloroplast in animal cells??

Everything I'm finding online- diagrams, etc, don't show that.

3. glen

glen Companion

Nov 15, 2011

Chloroplasts are not in animal cells. Typically, the organelle is found only in plant cells.

4. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2011

I didn't think so.
    My daughter's science teacher is having her make a model of an animal cell. Some of the other kids are, as well. He told them it must contain chloroplast. One of the kids questioned that and he insisted it had to have chloroplast.:rolleyes:

I homeschooled my daughter up till this school year, Glen. Days like this, I really question my choice to send her to school.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2011

Wait, the science teacher said to include chloroplast in the animal cell? Errr, doesn't the teacher understand what the chloroplast is and what it does?

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 15, 2011

The chloroplast is the organelle that's primarily responsible for photosynthesis. Unless her teacher has recently discovered an animal capable of photosynthesis, I would definitely call him out on his mistake.

7. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Nov 15, 2011

Chloroplast is what gives plants their green color and it absorbs sunlight to let the plant perform photosynthesis, so yeah... there's definitely no chloroplast in any animal cells!

8. KateL

KateL Habitué

Nov 15, 2011

I did recently hear about a sea slug that can use chloroplasts from the algae that it eats to do photosynthesis on its own. I doubt that's what the teacher has in mind, though.

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 15, 2011

Is it possible there was a breakdown in communication when giving the directions or it it written in the assignment?

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2011

Email the teacher and ask.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 15, 2011

Asking us to confirm is very much not a dumb question, becky.

What's dumb is that the question has had to cross your mind.

The ability to photosynthesize (which is what chloroplasts 'green forms' are for) is precisely what sets plants apart from all the other life forms. Lack of that ability is precisely why fungi (yeasts and mushrooms) got drop-kicked out of the plant kingdom and into their own kingdom.

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2011

I thought he might have said 'cytoplasm'. Jeannie said no, he said 'chloroplast'.

13. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2011

This teacher doesn't answer emails, czacza. I go right to the lead teacher now.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah, you need it in writing. Send a note to him tomorrow asking for clarification.

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2011

I felt dumb for asking because I already knew the answer. I did wonder if I was forgetting something. After all, I am retired now, TG.;)

16. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2011

It won't get answered, unfortunately.
    That's cool, though; conferences are coming..:cool:

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 15, 2011

And Becky, I think it is a big problem if she doesn't have written directions for this assignment. I think that would be what would make me the maddest . . . that a simple assignment has created a problem because the assignment wasn't clearly defined by the teacher. UUUGGGGHHHH

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 15, 2011

Good point!

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah, I have NEVER sent home an assignment that didn't come with written directions. It doesn't' matter what age your students are, people forget things. Period.

20. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 15, 2011

:confused: right because every student would clearly be able to remember if the teacher said either "cytoplasm" or "chloroplast" :mad:

Again, sorry you and J are dealing with this . . . again what could have been an enjoyable learning hands-on learning experience made difficult for lack of clear explanation :mad:

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 15, 2011

I would have her make her model as it should be. Let him hang himself if and when he takes points off.

22. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2011

It is HUGELY aggravating! As I type, I don't think written directions are ever sent home by any of her teachers. Sometimes directions are to be copied off the board in science. I HATE not knowing exactly what's expected, and I wish they'd even break down how points are earned on an assignment. I believe Jeannie needs to see that, kwim, because I still push her to do her very best on everything she turns in.

23. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2011

On a lighter note, you all know I get my teaching fix helping with this stuff, right? :wub:

24. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2011

The thing that gets me is, she believes she will get a bad grade now, because she didn't add the chloroplast!

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 15, 2011

None of my kids teachers have ever sent home written instructions past elementary school.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2011

It may be a matter of limited paper resources; I've read here time and again of people having copy and/or Xerox limits.

It's not possible that he said (or meant to say) "Plant cell"? Instead of you emailing, why not have Jeanne ask for clarification?

27. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2011

Yeah, I've seen that, too. I'd donate copy paper to have requirements in front of me, Alice!

I don't see Jeannie asking for clarification. She recently had an assignment where she was unsure of something, and wouldn't go to the teacher for fear of looking stupid. I could not make her see the teacher would be impressed that she was trying to get it all right. I ended up emailing the teacher.

28. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2011

And I'm the biggest forgetter!:lol:

To have directions in front of me would help in so many ways. I'd know exactly what's expected of her, I'd know where to encourage her to do more, and it would even make it easier to look for resources.

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2011

I do get the issue of saving paper. So, then have the directions posted on your website or send out a mass email. There should be no excuses. Even in college our assignments were written out for us, either as a handout, on a teacher's website, or on blackboard.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2011

Honestly, I wouldn't choose to email. I would nudge her out of her comfort zone, even if it was after school, one on one.

31. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2011

I know they are trying to instill responsibility in the kids, but I'd still like that extra layer of comfort a handout of some sort would provide.

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 16, 2011

I feel the same way Becky. I don't push it but it would be helpful.

33. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2011

See, I get that. It's just I know I have a REALLY bad memory. And with other responsibilities and homework, I don't get how we can expect kids to remember all the details of a project. Now, if it was your regular old homework assignment where you read such and such pages and then answer the questions, or something simple like that, then yes, they need to write that down in their agenda. But when it comes to more in depth projects, then those are the ones that we need to send home (or post online) the instructions/guidelines. I don't see anything wrong with that. In this aspect, it's not about responsibilities but going over what the assignment is about and what is required of you, etc.

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 17, 2011

It really is a good point. Even college gives you that kind of stuff.

35. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2011

Something else more Jeannie-specific, and I'm not using this as an excuse, but she's not used to all the classroom noises and commotion. Getting caught up in that takes her focus from notes on the board, for example, to whatever is being said by the kid that has everyone's attention.

36. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2011

Yeah, I'm not in anyone's face over it, either. Hopefully, between what she remembers and how I encourage her here, she'll always do well on whatever.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2011

So how did things pan out?

38. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2011

She turned it in, so we'll see.

Her dad and I were there today for T-giving dinner, and I saw just how much she likes that school and the teachers. She absolutely glowed when her history teacher told us his opinion of her!

I glowed when she got to leave with us. I didn't realize how much I still miss her being home.:wub: