Dumb mistakes?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by truthseeker04, Dec 17, 2009.

1. truthseeker04

truthseeker04 New Member

Dec 17, 2009

So I am a new preschool teacher this year and I am doing pretty good. My kids love me and of course that goes a long way. I am also a quick learner, so when my partner does something I like or that works well I can easily copy it when I'm leading. But...
    I do a lot of things and after I think were really dumb, things like a parent asking me a question and sending them to ask someone instead of finding it out myself. Then after thinking how rude or something it was of me. Or just plain not knowing an answer and having to say that I don't know and will check with someone else. I am basically looking for comments on my line of thinking... Thanks!

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2009

When someone asks you a question you don't know the answer to:

Smile.
    Say, "I don't know, but I will find out and let you know!"
    Find the answer -- and let them know -- as quickly as possible.
    If you can't find the answer -- let them know -- as quickly as possible.

It sounds far more professional, no matter what your line of work is, when you do it this way :)

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 21, 2009

You don't have to know everything... no one does. Reflecting on what you've done is an important skill in itself, it's how we learn. Learn from your mistakes, don't make the same ones twice. You're going to be fine.

5. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Dec 22, 2009

Trust me these happen to everyone. You will become more confident as time goes on, and you will be able to answer more questions as time goes on too.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2009

The only dumb mistakes are the ones that put a child or your employer at some sort of risk.

Everything else is part of the learning curve.

As long as your kids, their parents, and your employers can sleep well and worry free at night, don't sweat ther rest of it.