Dumb evaluator!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by becky, May 21, 2009.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 21, 2009

Jeannie has had the same evaluator since K. I'd go in there with armloads of stuff to show him, and he wouldn't even glance at it. One year, I made him look at it all!

Today Jeannie went for herfinal evaluation this year. I took 5 or 6 things along, special things she has done. I took the paper work I'm required to fill out. I did not bring her math or English, and I got told about it!:mad:

I'm being a drama queen, but it irritates me that the review was marked 'Unsatisfactory' because I decided not to load up this time!
    The evaluator wasn't unpleasant or anything, but the form he remarked on will go in Jeannie's record they keep.

Next time, I'm going to load one of those things on wheels and show him EVERYTHING we have!:cool:

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 21, 2009

I am sorry that he wasn't working with you.

I feel similarly irrate when the Kinder teachers don't look at the files they request from our program on the new Kinder transfers. It is all there-and they requested the file-but they don't open it.

sorry-take a picture of your loaded up cart next year.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 21, 2009

I hate inconsistencies. Start your files first thing in the fall, show 'em your stuff next year!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 21, 2009

Ugh, I understand why you're frustrated, and I don't think you're being a drama queen.

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 21, 2009

I'm still steamed.

He also made a comment about how quiet Jeannie is when we are there.It's true I do most of the talking, but the meetings are 20 minutes only. Till Jeannie relaxes, time's up. He said when he looks at her samples he wants to be sure they are her ideas on the paper.

What the....?? Hold the phone.

First, she is quiet at first with most adults except the ones she really feels comfortable around. Give her time, stay out of her face, and she'll talk to you shortly. Get on her case, keep the spotlight on her by badgering her to talk, and she'll clam up. Her friends are the same way with me. When I say hi to them, I don't expect conversation much beyond 'Hi'. You all must understand that.

Second- at least I bring my child to the dumb evaluation!!!! Geeze- so many moms don't bring their kid because of what the kid might or might not say, how they will act/react. I think the county makes a HUGE mistake by not requiring the kid to be present for at least one evaluation per year. I know what I'm putting between my child's ears, and will quickly admit if there's something she doesn't quite get. I won't hide her behind some asinine piece of paper that says I don't have to bring her if I don't want to!

And he wants to be sure it's HER ideas? The way I pull teeth trying to get this little skunk to write, stress over her education, worry over every little thing, I'm going to do the work for her????
    WRONG HOMESCHOOL MOM, DUDE! AND NO 'COMPLETE BOOK OF..' WORKBOOKS FROM WALMART IN THIS CLASSROOM!

The more I think about it, the madder I get. We've been seeing him 4 years and suddenly I'm under an umbrella of suspicion?? One of his remarks was 'Based on Mom's conversation, Jeannie appears to be doing well.' He also noted I must bring one sample from each subject to the first fall evaluation. UGH! When I brought her math book to the first evaluation this year, he glanced at it and pushed it aside!

I'm sorry to vent so much, but this tears me up. I feel the way you all sound when you're frustrated.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2009

So have you gotten a copy of the evaluation, or will you?

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 21, 2009

Oh, I've got them all, TG, all the way back to K. I keep anything homeschool related. I even keep something in my wallet for days Jeanne's out practicing her two wheeler, lest someone ask why she's not in school. I've got receipts for classes and activities going back to K, as well.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2009

Just trying to ask pertinent questions before making like an oracle, is all...

Does the district have only one person who does these evaluations?

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 21, 2009

Gosh, I admire your dedication to homeschooling. I can tell by your posts that you are serious about her education. I am sorry that the evaluator was so inept.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2009

I agree, Old teacher, that the evaluator sounds inept, or at the very least ham-handed.

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

May 21, 2009

Becky- You take homeschooling so seriously and work so hard with Jeannie. I would be irrate with an "Unsatisfactory", too. "Based on mom's conversations" would push me over the edge! You know how much you do with Jeannie. Maybe the key is finding a way to present her worksamples in in a portfolio.

13. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 22, 2009

I would complain to the county. Someone above this evaluator's head. He can't possibly be the end-all of homeschooling. Repor tthe inconsistencies (spelling?) and let them know exactly how you feel about his comments.

14. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 22, 2009

No, there are other evaluators. It was explained to me that they try to keep families with the same evaluator. I can request a new one in the fall, or I can go with the group review that most hsers here use.

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 22, 2009

Let me refresh everyone's memory on how these evaluations have been in the past.

Beginning in K, I'd take all kinds of things in there to show him. In K, I took in one lesson from each subject I got online, her math book, my plan book, and samples of whatever else all that left. He brushed it all off and barely glanced at it. At her second evaluation that year, I forced him to look at it, asking how can he know her progress if he doesn't look at what I brought? He said he gets more from talking to her than from looking at the work. He said that if it's in there, it will come out in conversation.

First and second grade were mostly the same. Since he'd barely look at things, I just started taking special things, like the songbook and pictures from the choir she was in, her Brownie vest full of patches, anything that I felt showed she was learning or doing and getting social exposure. Mostly, he'd talk to Jeannie.

This year at our 1st evaluation, I took her math and science books, because they were new programs to us. I took the display she made for the science fair she was in, the program for the talent show she was in, and I forget what else. Yesterday, I took our Journey North Symbolic Migration packet, her drawing class sketchbook, an art class sample, her current reading book, and the computer curriculum we're using for the next three years.

I even gave him info to pass on to other families!!!

So, in the past he has paid little attention to what I took in, prefering to converse with Jeannie directly instead. Suddenly yesterday he writes me up for 'Lack of proof of thorough instruction'. This has never happened in four years of going to him.

I was late yesterday. I called to let him know, but I wonder if that bothered him? It would be a dumb reason to write me p like that, but it would explain this out of the blue issue...

16. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 22, 2009

Oh, I'm going to get all formal next time. He won't pull the rug out from under me again.:thumb:

17. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 22, 2009

I guess I can be glad he didn't make me come back in for a redo. They can do that, and in extreme cases a family can be forced to enroll the child if the deficiency isn't fixed.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2009

You might want to consider requesting a redo, very soon, and going in with all barrels loaded - then complaining upstairs and requesting a change of evaluator, since it sounds like this guy's got attitude issues.

19. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 23, 2009

I think that I would do the same thing. You are one of the most wonderful homeschool teachers that I know; you are dedicated to your child and her education. I am sorry that this happened to you and I hope next eval is better>

20. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 23, 2009

As I was putting away the samples I took in Thursday, it is true nothing except her reading book shows work she did here. Everything but the reading book was from an outside class. However, his nonchalant attitude toward her work in the past made me feel comfortable taking those things in. He could have also asked her things about her school work. The whole meeting was very different from how it usually goes.
    Lesson learned.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2009

It would probably be appropriate to lodge a protest or have something inserted in her file (I guarantee you the system has a file on her) or something of the like, to set the record straight.

22. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 23, 2009

Or, I could T.P. his house..
    I will email the homeschool liasion and see what she says. My feeling is to let it ride and be better prepared next fall.

And the 'unsatisfactory' was for me and what I didn't bring, it's not about Jeannie.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 23, 2009

Seems to me that what you have brought in the past was 'meatier' than what you brought this year...lessons, plan book, curriculum materials, and work samples. While you felt he didn't look at them, it does seem that the depth and breadth of what you brought satisfied him. What you brought this year doesn't compare...it's not that you did less this year, you just brought less, and what you did bring was not up to the expectations you've set him up to have from past experience. If this is not affecting Jeannie, let it go. Next time, make sure you bring the types of materials you have provided in the past.

24. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 23, 2009

The whole tone of the meeting was unusual, at least it felt that way.

You know, when I sound off here about things, I don't talk to Jeannie about them. Privacy might be hard to come by when you have an 8 yr old joined to you at the hip 24/7, but I'm careful to try and raise an independent thinker.