DUI Question

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Sep 26, 2009.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2009

Why do some people who were found to be drinking under the influence not end up with an conviction? I don't understand that. I do understand that being arrested for a DUI is not the same as being convicted, but what are the reasons a person wouldn't be convicted, besides that a blood test proved they were not? :confused:

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

friends in high places...officer not showing up to court and the person having a good lawyer...

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2009

A husband of a friend of mine got pulled over for side-swiping a car while driving drunk. He was terrified about the upcoming consequences and his wife was hopeful that this would terrible experience would lead to recovery. The cop was a friend her husband's business parter - so NOTHING happened - all he got was a token traffic ticket.

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 26, 2009

I worked in the booking area of a jail many years ago and am answering based on my experience then. Things may have changed since.

When someone is arrested for DUI it is usually for erratic driving then not passing a sobriety test (touch your nose, etc) after being pulled over. The driver can take a Breath alcohol test or a Blood alcohol test. The breath test gives immediate results and is less accurate. The blood test results are not immediate. (that may have changed now). The person can be booked before the blood results are in. If the blood results show the person is not legally drunk, the charges are dropped or lowered.

As the previous posters stated, attorneys can fight the charges of a person whose tests indicate they were legally drunk depending on the blood alcohol results, how the tests are administered, which tests were administered, etc.

6. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

Sympathetic jury...my wife was a prosecutor and once had a DUI case...had the guy dead to rights, breathalyzer, field sobriety test, police testimony...and the jury found him not guilty...basically the the people on this particular jury just had enough people who wouldn't believe the police/legal system no matter what evidence was presented, that was what they said when polled after the verdict.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 26, 2009

Sad. :(

8. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

yes but it happens...I'm not sure I would plan on that happening to get out of a dui...although good lawyers will use that angle if they can...

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2009

I've sat on DUI jury duty- years ago. We found one guilty, one not guilty...depends on the evidence, circumstances and YES, lawyering.