Duggars #20

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by myKroom, Nov 8, 2011.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 8, 2011

Really!?!?!? Wow! I heard this today...all I can say is wow! I don't watch the show or follow the family, but this is just crazy!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2011

I can respect their choices, but I hope this is the last for her sake and the baby (both experienced complications during thr last pregnancy).

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2011

I am the same age as her and you would have to shoot me if I found out I was pregnant.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2011

I was shocked....
    Like Just Me... health concerns are what worry me for both Michelle & the baby.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 8, 2011

Disgusting. That's all. She really needs to knock it off.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2011

I don't think she's the only one involved in this situation....:rolleyes:

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2011

MY girls watch the show, so I've seen a bit of it.

My choices aren't theirs, but I have a lot of respect for them. They're bringing up kids in a way they see as moral. Their kids appear to be polite and respectful. I see them as good parents and good neighbors. They do a lot of charity work; at some point they traveled to a 3rd world country to do some real hands-on work.

Is they endangering her health? Sure. But look at all the people in our world who are overweight or who smoke. Aren't they doing the same thing?

Unless and until our nation adopts a family limit similiar to China's, I'm OK with the Duggars having as many children as they can support. Apparently they're OK with 20.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2011

:lol:

...and the production company is part of the situation....more kids, more talk, more drama....higher ratings. I choose not to support 'this situation' by voting with my remote.:2cents:

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 9, 2011

To me, once your oldest starts having kids, making you a grandmother, then you need to stop. But since they aren't doing anything to stop the process, oh well. Better her than me. She is older than me and I'm wishy washy on having a 2nd and I'm not even 40... close though.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 9, 2011

I wonder if they would ever consider adoption. They are such good parents, and so many children need good homes. Maybe God would like to bless them with adoptees, or fosters...

12. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Nov 9, 2011

I agree!! That way they can continue raising children without putting anyone's health in jeopardy.

13. kme93

kme93 Companion

Nov 9, 2011

I do worry about her and the baby's health. However, I believe they are entitled to have as many children as they wish. Their children are respectful, polite and contribute to their family. Jim Bob (the dad) makes enough money to support the entire family. They are not on any kind of government assistance whatsoever. While I will not choose to have lots of children, they're not mooching off others and they are teaching their children to be considerate, productive members of society.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 9, 2011

I wonder what they do at Christmas? Even a $10 gift for 20 children can get spendy.

15. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Nov 9, 2011

I know they're not big into fancy gifts but they make a ton of money not only off of the TV show but all of their books, speaking engagements, etc. They live very modestly but I don't think money is an issue for them at all anymore.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2011

I think the pay check from TLC is why Josh & his family is on there and tags along for all the stuff!! I'm sure he does pretty well with what little he is on.

Think about all the hand me downs that are in that house.

17. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 9, 2011

I think it's fine, as long as they have the money to take care of them. And being on a TV show, they obviously do.

What bothers me is the mother's age, and the fact that she had serious health issues with her last child. In that sense I think it is irresponsible. One would think that if you had that problem before, you wouldn't be willing to take those risks again. Maybe I could understand it better if this couple was childless, but they have more than a dozen.

I agree with the adoption idea. There are plenty of children out there who need a good home and love. There is no reason for this mother to jeopardize her health for the sake of delivering another baby.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2011

Some thoughts

-- When we adopted my son from Korea, some very well meaning strangers suggested that it might have been more responsible to adopt domestically.

My response was basically: "Is that what YOU did??" Funny, the answer was always no.

-- When I was 10 days into radiation, I had a pregnancy scare. Had it not been a false alarm, I would have chosen to have the baby. I'm Catholic and I do not believe in abortion. I'm a fairly bright girl and I'm well aware of the risks. I also know that others would have decided on an abortion. Peter and I talked about it, and we would have had the baby.

--When I was in high school, there was a family in the school that had 18 kids. The family around the corner had 11. When I was a kid, large families were a bit unusual, not national news.

The Duggars are well aware of the risks, as is anyone overweight, as are smokers. They've chosen to bring a new life into the world. They're financailly capable of taking care of this child. Their children are being raised in a loving home and are being taught to be moral, caring, upstanding citizens.

While it most certainly wouldn't be my choice, I fully support theirs.

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2011

I agree Alice. It's not a choice I would make. They remind me of the way many Amish here raise children. It's certainly old fashioned to have older children raise younger but it's been done in farming communities for years. I love how they encourage the kids' creativity in playing. I do think they're cashing in though and I sure hope they are strong enought to make it through the evil tv world.

20. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Nov 9, 2011

Anybody can have pre-eclampsia issues with any pregnancy, whether it is their first or 17th. It doesn't necessarily increase the risk for subsequent pregnancies. Would you advice a parent of one to not have any more children if they had pre-eclampsia with the first?

21. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Nov 10, 2011

In addition, her children saw both their mother and their baby sister in the hospital, the baby fighting for her life and living on oxygen for quite awhile. It has to be scary to hear that Mom is going to be having another one after they saw firsthand what happened with Josie. I know they're free to do what they want, but what if something does go wrong? That's 19 kids who will be mother-less. I know they don't believe in birth control, but there are more natural ways of avoiding pregnancy (not 100%, but still better than nothing). I just think, as a mother, I'd have to think about the kids I was blessed to have and truth be told, I'd hope my husband would not want to put me at risk to have another child after having such a scare with the previous one if we already had 19 other children.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2011

With 20 kids, one wonders how much real individual quality time each child gets from their parents...

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 10, 2011

The only thing that concerns me, as other have mentioned, is the baby's health. Their last child had serious issues, and the mother is only getting older. At what point does it stop? She may be having children until she is 50+, but there would probably be a lot of unhealthy babies being born. I guess it's their choice...

24. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2011

It seems like they are aware of that, and try to take advantage of every opportunity they can for individual time (taking one or two kids to run errands, etc.). Also, they are home, the kids are home-schooled and aren't in a ton of activities, and they don't watch TV. Sadly, compared to many kids today they might actually get more...

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2011

I agree. This is probably the one thing that irks me about the show and what I have seen from the family.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2011

I hardly had any individual quality time with my parents (actually, I can't think of a single example), but the memories I have with my siblings are priceless. Things were certainly not always ideal, but I don't think they have to be.

For several reasons, I wouldn't make the decision to have so many children. But I would rather this couple have five more than some of my families at school with one child have one more. It's a house of love, I am certain.

My primary concern: are there any "J" names remaining?! :)

27. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 10, 2011

:spitwater: :lol: maybe they can use yours JustMe :lol:

28. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2011

Jasmine, Josephine, Jade, Jenna, Jennifer
    Jordan, Jack, Jorge

:)

Might as well keep having kids until ALL J names have been taken. :rolleyes::D:whistle:

29. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 10, 2011

Names; Date of Birth
    1. Joshua James (married to Anna Keller Duggar in 2008); March 3, 1988 (age 21)
    2. Jana Marie (twin of John); January 12, 1990 (age 20)
    3. John-David (twin of Jana); January 12, 1990 (age 20)
    4. Jill Michelle; May 17, 1991 (age 19)
    5. Jessa Lauren; November 4, 1992 (age 17)
    6. Jinger Nicole; December 21, 1993 (age 16)
    7. Joseph Garrett; January 20, 1995 (age 15)
    8. Josiah Matthew; August 28, 1996 (age 14)
    9. Joy-Anna; October 28, 1997 (age 13)
    10. Jedidiah Robert; (twin of Jeremiah) December 30, 1998 (age 11)
    11. Jeremiah Robert; (twin of Jedidiah) December 30, 1998 (age 11)
    12. Jason Michael; April 21, 2000 (age 10)
    13. James Andrew; July 7, 2001 (age 9)
    14. Justin Samuel; November 15, 2002 (age 7)
    15. Jackson Levi; May 23, 2004 (age 6)
    16. Johannah Faith; October 11, 2005 (age 5)
    17. Jennifer Danielle; August 2, 2007 (age 3)
    18. Jordyn-Grace Makiya; December 18, 2008 (age 1)
    19. Josie Brooklyn; December 10, 2009 (born almost 4 months early due to preeclampsia) (age 4 1/2 months)
    Grandduggars!
    1. Mackenzie Renee; October 8, 2009 (age 6 1/2 months)

This list had all the names, but the ages are wrong...

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2011

I think they have a couple of those...

They take a soft G name and make it a J like in the case of Jinger.

31. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Nov 11, 2011

None that are creative enough, I think! They haven't touched Jacob, Julia, Jessica (I know they have Jessa but they also have Johannah and Joyanna!), Joel, Jeffrey, Jude... lol

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 11, 2011

All this is just for more publicity and attention, plus, they're running out of J names. In my opinion, everyone should stop having kids after 4, definitey 5.

33. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 11, 2011

None of this makes any difference to me.

I'm in the 'whatev' category.

I live in America. People can have as few or as many children as they want.

34. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2011

It's not my choice, and 20 kids for me would drive me insane. I am at my limit with 1. But, I think they appear to be excellent parents so I guess that's 20 kids with good role models who will likely be productive citizens, so that's a good thing.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

Wow. There are parents who don't do a good job with one child, there are parents who raise lovely large families. My wish for every child is to grow up wanted, loved, and provided for.

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2011

I don't at all think this is publicity related. At all.

37. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 11, 2011

I agree, JustMe. Didn't they have 14 kids before they were "discovered"? And their friends have 17 or 18 as well. I truly believe they would have had 20 without cameras rolling.

For the record, it doesn't matter to me how many children people have, as long as the children are loved and cared for.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

If you've ever seen the show, you would know it's not about publicity. That's simply not who these people are.

And the name thing: really????? THAT'S what this is about????

As to the 4 child maximum: I guess that means my sister Peggy should never have been born, since she was number 5. How incredibly bizarre to read that her life apparently isn't of value, simply because she was the 5th child born in our family. (And, realistically, she should have been #6, since mom had a still born between my sister Jean and Peggy.) She's a wonderful person, a kind, caring, giving mom and sister.

She's the sister who served as "hurricane central" when my mom and sister had to evacuate for Hurricane Irene. She's the one I chedk in with most often; in fact I emailed her today. She's the one who watches my kids most often when I'm stuck, and whose kids and mine sleep over each other's houses most often.

How hilarious to read that she should not have been born because of someone's arbitrary idea of what a family "should" be.

For what it's worth, all 5 of us were brought up with a strong sense of family, of our faith, of responsibility. We weren't rich, but there was nothing we needed that we didn't have. Now, as adults in our 40's and 50's, we're still close. My sisters and brother were the ones who came through for me during my "black cloud" year. They were the ones who llistened through my tears, who stopped by to check in, who helped me get through. Peggy offered to pay to have maid service for my house when I was laid up; Eileen spent a Sunday taking my mother in law to see my father in law as he was dying in the hospital, to give Peter a day without the 2 hour round trip drive.

Family is what life's all about. They're the people who love you, who care for you, who are always there for you.

39. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 11, 2011

That's why it's her idea of what a family should be.

That's why you are Aliceacc instead of AliceI.

Reading her post, I think she may have been joking about the "J name" thing...

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

Oh, NOW I get it.

Thanks for the explanation.

41. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 11, 2011

No problem! I also palm read on the side. :p