Duggar baby born prematurely

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Dec 11, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2009

Wow!!!!

4. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Dec 11, 2009

Wow! I think all of their other children have always been healthy, so that has to be a huge shock. I hope that mom and baby are okay.

5. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Dec 11, 2009

How true is this??? I can't get to the link, but it seems too unbelievable. When was she due? March?

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 11, 2009

Yes...true...she was due in march

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 11, 2009

1 lb 6 oz?!?! That is crazy small!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2009

Wow, I hope Michelle and the baby are okay. I remember hearing last week that she was in the hospital, but everything sounded okay with the baby then.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

Wow. The Duggars are a hardy bunch and the baby is a girl, so that's good news in her favor (girls do better than boys as a general rule).

The baby next to my youngest son in the NICU was 451 grams...just under a pound. It's amazing how tiny some of these babies are. (In comparison, 1lb 6oz is roughly 625g...I don't have a calculator handy...the math might be off a little). The advances in medicine are amazing. Hopefully this new little one will eventually go home healthy.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

I got the idea that there was nothing wrong with the baby, but complications from galbladder issues was what forced the delivery.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

Awww, the poor little thing. I said a prayer for them. Isn't it amazing that all their other children were born healthy? What a record.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2009

Thanks for explaining, mmswm. That makes sense.

14. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Dec 11, 2009

Wow! thanks for letting us know - I hadn't heard about this yet.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 11, 2009

One of my friends had a baby three months early, and she weighed 19oz. They have a picture of her being held in her dad's hand, and she's wearing his wedding ring around her thigh.

16. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 11, 2009

I hope everything goes well for mom and baby, but I really hope she takes this as a sign to stop having kids. You can only be so old before something happens to you or your baby. I'd hate to think of how her organs look after all these kids.

17. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Dec 12, 2009

My uncle was born so premature that they didn't bother to weigh him until he was three months old - he was 1lbs 8 oz then. He's a police officer who is 6"4' and 220lbs now. He has asthma, but that's the worst of it!

I just hope this makes them reconsider baby #20.

18. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2009

I'm kind of offended by that comment. Pregnancy complications can happen to younger people, too. Yes, there are some risks that are higher as your age increases, but that doesn't mean "older" women shouldn't have babies.

19. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 13, 2009

^^^I didn't mean older, but sometimes the ages are crazy/ Like there was a 62 year old that had a kid. You., and anyone else, is entitled to your opinion, but imo 62 is too old to carry a baby. I meant for the Duggar mom, you can only have so many kids, naturally, before you start getting in trouble. I remember doctors saying when octomom had all her, there are limitations to what a body can handle (number wise). That's why people don't have litters. I meant it more that way. Sorry to offend you. :)

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 13, 2009

Post menopausal women and women using unneeded fertility drugs are two completely different issues. Mrs. Duggar is a normal, healthy, pre-menopausal woman who's situation does not compare. She is well aware of the risks of each successive pregancy. In all honesty, considering her history, I would say she's at a smaller risk of adverse outcome than I would be...and I'm 33 and only have three kids.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2009

Same here mm....28 with one child..3 pregnancies with problems.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 13, 2009

5 pregnancies, 3 live births, 1 stillbirth/late miscarraige, 1 late 1st trimester miscarraige. Of the three live births, they were all extremely complecated ending in premature births. None of the babies were healthy. The youngest was the sickest...his birth happening under the circumstances of "take him now or the both die", and spending 6 months in NICU/PICU. The complications experienced during pregnancy put my personal chance of mortality in future pregnancies at no better than 50%.

Mrs. Dugger has had 16 uneventful pregnancies, most of which ended in uneventful natural births. One of the twin pregnancies was a c-section and two of the later babies were transverse, resulting in c-sections. This premature birth was caused by complications with galstones and had nothing to do with the pregnancy itself (up until the point where it required an emergency c-section). I'd putting betting odds in favor of Mrs. Dugger and baby number 20 over me and baby number 4.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2009

I just googled them. I admit to being pretty ignorant about the whole family.

She's 43-- the age I was when I had my youngest child. They live debt free.

Why should anyone care how many kids they have?

24. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2009

Is that from being on TV?

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 13, 2009

No, they were debt free long before TV happened. The Duggar family was quite large already when the public fascination turned to large families. If you follow their TV career, you'll see that it started with just the occasional interview on the Today Show, then they allowed TLC to do a couple of one hour specials. When baby number 16 was born, TLC decided to send them on vacation and finish the house they were already working on for themselves. The huge house they live in was being built little by little as they could afford to buy the material. Jim Bob was a property manager of some sort and they lived in a medium sized house up until the larger house was finished. If they had not received TLC's help, they would have finished it on their own timetable and I'm sure it wouldn't be decked out with all the state of the art appliances, but it would have been cozy nonetheless. I have not noticed any other uptick in their style of living. They still buy second hand when they can, including their cars, and don't spend money on frivolous things (the expensive furniture and grand piano were given to them by TLC with the house completion). The only thing I can think of is that they probably take more vacations, but they still take their RV and don't spend excessive money.

Of all the reality show families, the Duggars are the only ones I have any respect for, allthough I have less respect for them now than I did before they decided to do the regular show.

26. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Dec 13, 2009

They live debt free in part from years of living in overcrowded housing, and accepting Church donations. The majority of their house was paid for from donations and the network. Much like Jon & Kate.

27. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Dec 13, 2009

With families that large, I can't think of many ways to be able to support that many children. It's not a reason to have children (Octomom, maybe?). The Duggars had a lot of kids before tv, but if the opportunity presents itself to live more comfortably, I think most would accept. The Duggars seem to have maintained their values and self-respect. I pray their little girl is healthy and makes it!

28. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 14, 2009

I was that tiny when I was born :p

I was 1 lb 8 oz. dropped down to 1 lb 1 oz a few hours later. I was 12 inches long, born at 25 1/2 weeks.

29. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2009

They also own commercial real estate they rent out for income. They used to do court transcriptions which they could do from home but I don't know if they still do that. The older boys were part of that business. I watch sometimes and just wished they ate healthier but I guess a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables would be expensive for that many. We are spoiled in California by our produce prices.

30. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 14, 2009

They have made family their number one priority...not material items. They are about working together as a family. Every child has a job. All the girls learn to sew. They learn to cook and prepare for their future families. They lead very moral lives. I like the fact that they still care about each other. I love that if you ever watch the show, the parents are very respectful and caring of each other.

31. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 14, 2009

I agree. The family seems pretty happy...and have a very organized way of getting things done. If you've ever gone on their website, they have some of their recipes...yum.