Dual Enrollment

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by chemteach55, Oct 25, 2016.

1. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2016

Is there anyone else teaching dual enrolled classes?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 25, 2016

What is your definition? I have a couple of students who earn both English and Social Studies credits for doing cross-curricular work.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2016

My students get 6 hours of college chemistry when they finish my Chem 1 and Chem 2 classes. This is one of the reasons I am using the flipped classroom model because my classes range from very low students to my dual enrolled college students.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 25, 2016

OH! My school is mostly designed for students who have failed multiple high school classes or who have dropped out completely and have come back for their diplomas. The reason MY classes are flipped is because I have students with totally different needs and reasons to be at my school, and no single curriculum would suit the entire population.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 25, 2016

Make sure the dual enrollees know that they may need transcripts from both the high school and the college; I know someone whose grad-school application denied consideration for incompleteness because the high-school transcript (with all the dual-enrolled units clearly included) was included but the community-college transcript (with only the dual-enrolled units) wasn't.

7. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Dec 1, 2016

I'm wondering if you work at my old school, by your name (Franklin). I know at my old school, that was the policy--if you don't have a master's in the subject, i.e. English, Biology, you cannot teach the content, you are the moderator. I used to teach DE English at that school, and I have an M.A. in English, so I was able to actually teach the content, I was technically a professor at the community college. I also do that at my current school. My school is steadily building its program, and if they keep moving forward, w will have students graduating high school with both a diploma and an associate degree in general studies, which means they'll start college as a junior. I

I would love to know if you work at my old school. PM if you can.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 3, 2016

That's not what dual enrollment looks like here. What university would accept such a credit?

9. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Dec 3, 2016

Students in my school are starting to take a lot of DE classes. I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, I understand trying to reduce the cost of attending college for 4 years. OTOH, I think college is one of the better periods of one's life. Why not enjoy it? Whether you get out at 20 or 22, there is ample opportunity for work and a career post college. To kids, 2 years seems like an eternity I suppose. It won't when they get my age.

one other observation...the students don't seem to enjoy the DE experience (imo). They seem to have a "let's get this over with" mindset about the process. whereas you will here them speak positively (on occasion) about "Mr. X's biology class"' or "Miss Z's English III" class. But I have never heard one positive remark about the DE experience from a child. (as always, keep in mind these comments are based on teaching in just one school).

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2016

Most of my students have gotten credit at the college of their choice. I had one who wasn't and she brought in a copy of her lab notebook to the head of the chemistry and he said that I had done more lab work with my class than they do in the beginning chem classes and gave her credit.

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2016

I am not for Dual Enrollment for the student who wants to get our in the real world at 22 but many of the students that I have in these classes are looking at medical or upper level engineering degrees and it helps to get out of college with fewer student loans!!