Dry Erase vs. Chalkboard

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Elizabeth, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Apr 3, 2005

I heard dry erase was better than the old-fashioned chalkboards they used to use. The reason why I emphasized the word 'used' is because I'm starting to find out that it doesn't appear that chalkboards are used anymore. I find all classrooms at all levels from Early Childhood to Higher Education have tossed chalk out the window and are now in the process of using dry erase markers.

Is anyone here using chalkboards yet?

3. fil83

fil83 Guest

Apr 4, 2005

I prefer DryErase boards because they reduce powder in the room...a life-saver for those of us with allergies, including some children.
    Also, they tend to clean up better and faster than chalkboards.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Apr 4, 2005

I hate the feeling of chalk on my skin. In fact, the mere mention of it has my fingers curling up. As for dry erase, Its not the best for me either. I have a sensitivity to the 'alcohol/chemical' in it that makes my finger tips peel if I use my finger to erase! I LOVE when the dry erase boards are MAGNETIC!

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 4, 2005

I only buy the low odor dry erase markers. I don't have a major reaction to the regular ones, but the smell irritates me. Chalk is a bit irritating, too.

6. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Apr 4, 2005

My classroom is outfitted with both chalk and dry erase. I ended up using the chalk board as extra display space for charts. What I would really like to have is one of the boards where you type the information on the computer and it is displayed on the whiteboard. Those are terrific. But alas budget won't allow it.

7. SarahLorax

SarahLorax Rookie

Apr 4, 2005

seems like most of the schools i've been in still have chalkboards, but one that i student taught at had whiteboards. i prefer the whiteboards, because i hate the feeling of chalk on my hands, and have to reapply hand cream eight thousand times a day. i think i write more neatly on whiteboards, too, and it prevents the sound of screeching chalk, which could cause me to fling myself out the window.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 4, 2005

Student taught with chalkboards 2 years ago...

I definately prefer white boards. :)

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 4, 2005

I'm old-fashioned, I guess. I love my little old chalkboard with wood frame and two side bulletin boards. It goes with my style. There are great new kinds of erasers that don't just spread the chalk around but absorb it. I don't get much chalk residue. I wash the board each night. I actually had the finish re-sprayed a few years ago and plan to do it again this summer. Everyone else in my school has white boards but I wouldn't part with my board.

10. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Apr 4, 2005

I work in a school that has chalkboards. However, my director of special services wrote a grant up to get Smart Boards... They are white boards that can be connected up to the computer and project for the class to use. It is great... I love the Smartboards. I use mine everyday. It is great for modifications for special education students(i.e. color coding). I also purchased little whiteboards forhte children to use... They are great and not messy with chalk.

11. Margo

Margo Devotee

Apr 4, 2005

We still have chalkboards but I use mine for calendar display and other displays because it is magnetic. I couldn't find a space to write on it if I wanted to. I have a small (3 x 5 maybe???) whiteboard that I use. It is also my big book easel. I am going to a new school next year so I hope to have white boards as long as they are magnetic. I can't do without that. I will be starting the year in a portable until the school is completed so I don't know what I will have there.

12. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Apr 4, 2005

Ah, so that's the proper name for it - whiteboard! :p

In either case, I'm not quite sure which one I prefer. Both have pros and cons.

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2005

I HATE my chalk...dusty and at least 50 years old....I dont think they have ever been replaced, and the building is the big 5-0 this year.....i tried those stick on dry erase boards last year, but it did not hold up for everyday use......

14. Jaydee

Jaydee Rookie

Apr 4, 2005

One teacher at our school buys shower board at a building supply place like Home Depot and covers her chalk board with it. This gives her a white board. She has used it for six year so far.

15. TutorNY

TutorNY New Member

Apr 4, 2005

I love the dry-erase boards. ANd what is even better is the little ones for the kids to use. They love 'em!

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 4, 2005

Chalk---- yuck... allergies.

Whiteboard---- YEAH!!!! Love the magnet boards. You can also decorate them with WINDOW CLINGS!! (They don't stick to chalkboards... LOL)

Lori

17. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Apr 4, 2005

I don't mean to sound smug, but "Chalkboards"? The school district I grew up in replaced those 15 years ago! I've subbed in 3 school districts, across WA state and I've only seen an actual chalkboard at one VERY old school and in one music classroom, it had the lines for the musical staff painted on it. Even when the schools have been in dire need of remodel--they've updated to whiteboards! I'm actually really amazed. I've just taken WBs for granted. I remember when they first switched, I was in the first row in my pre-algebra class. I got nauseous until I got used to the odor.

Oh, I guess my jr. college had chalkboards too. I remember my crazy pre-calculus teacher. She had the thickest Hungarian accent, it was almost impossible to understand her. She would say "substract" and "Pair a bowla" instead of "subtract" and "parabola". She had to do everything on the board because it was so hard to communicate. She had to show examples to express herself. She often wore black pants or skirts and seemed to have a permanent pair of hand prints on her behind because she would rest her hands on waist while she talked. Good memories!

18. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 4, 2005

I can't stand the feel of chalk on my hands and the dust it creates - gross! I love whiteboards though. I did sub in one room recently that had a chalkboard, and I think I wrote about 3 words on it all day. I avoided it as much as possible. Whiteboards on the other hand, I write on those all day long with no problem!

19. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Apr 5, 2005

I'm one of three teachers left with a chalkboard in my school...
    why? Ours are all special order and weren't in time to be put in before the school year started
    (mine sitll isn't here *Grumble*)
    so I have chalk *cry*

20. Prissypants

Prissypants Companion

Apr 5, 2005

When I taught art, I had a huge chalkboard, and I often used colored chalk to show examples. I don't think my classroom was clean the entire time I was in it. There was chalk dust everywhere. And below the chalkboard the tile floor was always stained dark blue because the dust from the colored chalk would get ground in as I walked across the floor during the day. I know this example makes me sound like a dirty person, but really, I'm a little **** about keeping things 'just so.' As a matter of fact, I won the janitor's Clean Classroom award both years that I taught art. Still, the chalkboard was so gross.

I start a new job on Monday, and I really hope that my classroom has a white board.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 5, 2005

Gosh, now I'm feeling really out of it.

Well, I did get my students 8x10 magnetic white boards which they use constantly. Really saves on paper.

22. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 5, 2005

I had big chalkboards in my old classroom, even though the building was new. The math room next door had dry-erase boards. I preferred the chalk because we had to buy our own markers, and chalk is cheap. Those dry-erase markers are not.

Also, the middle school kids drew on themselves and each other with the dry-erase markers. Tee hee, it was gross but cute to see them come out of the math room all 'tatooed.'

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2005

I use both- Mostly whiteboards on the carpet during my prime teaching times- a big one for me and then small ones for the kids (they use for tryiing outmath problems, spelling word work) Chalkboard if they are working at seats and just need a quick reinforcement of something rather than returning to carpet.

24. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Apr 6, 2005

I'm allergic to chalk so the whiteboards are great for me. At my first job I had chalk boards and had to wear gloves to write. My principal walked in one day and asked why I had gloves, I told her and the next day I had new whiteboards.

25. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Apr 6, 2005

That is also nice to buy and have cut into pieces a bit larger than notebook paper. My kids love to doodle on those in free time and it saves on paper. They're great for when others are working and they want to talk. I let them "pass notes" on them...again, no waste of paper. I have a box of dry erase markers for them to use. I fill it with the ones that I don't like to write with or the tips are smooshed. It's also fun when we play trivia games. They can all write their answers on the boards and then hold them up at the same time!

26. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Apr 6, 2005

A lot of people mention allergies to chalk dust, but what about sensitivity to the chemicals of the dry erase markers? I've only seen one bring that up and I'm sure there's others out there with the exact same sensitivity to them.

Regardless, seems like whitebaords have become trés popular.

I actually didn't see my first whiteboard until '99, approximately 5 years after I started my Associate's degree. So for me, whiteboards are a fairly new concept.

27. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Apr 6, 2005

"Why they are my kid gloves, I handle all my students with them :cool: !"

28. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Apr 6, 2005

lol

29. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 7, 2005

Other ideas

I personally love the whiteboards because they are so easy to use. We have our students bring in a pack of dry-erase markers as part of their school supplies. The students love to write on it. I have found dry-erase poster board at a party supply store. I have regular size (for myself), and 8.5x11 for the students. These are very cheap and easy to tote around (take with us outside or around the room). Just some extra ideas for you. It's a lot cheaper than spending it on heavy-duty student whiteboards. And we all know that the less we spend on one item, the more stuff we can get. :angel:

30. Robinson

Robinson New Member

Sep 21, 2005

Whiteboard eraser/cleaner innovations from Finland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings from Finland (Scandinavia, Europe) We have here one inventor/manufacturer based here in NOKIA who have made very good patented innovation for whiteboard erasing/cleaning. You guys just need to tell someone office supplies dealer to import that item for you. Take a look.

Here is link for the Whiteboard eraser innovation.

www.wonderwells.com/smarteraser

And here is link for whiteboard cleaner

www.wonderwells.com/smarteraserplus

These products really works!!

31. kburen

kburen Cohort

Sep 21, 2005

Here I have a whiteboard.....At the school that I did my Student Teaching at...Some of the rooms have a really neat board. You can use either chalk OR dry erase markers on it. I loved it!

32. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 21, 2005

Most of the classrooms inside the building have a whiteboard on one wall, and a chalkboard on the other. Most teachers have used it for word walls, calendars, and other bulletin boards.