Dry erase panels

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bella2010, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 24, 2011

Hi All,

I would like to replace my chalkboard with a dry erase panel. Does anybody know how complex that is? How much do the panels cost and where did you find them?

Thanks,

Beth

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2011

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but my school has started painting the boards with dry erase paint. One of the teachers in my hall had it done and it works great, although the smell was HORRIBLE until it dried.

4. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Jun 25, 2011

Melamine

Melamine panels from the local hardware store. They are light hardboard panels used in bathrooms for the walls. Also as previously stated, there is a paint surface that can applied as well as a self-stick application. The panels can be screwed to the BB and also stuck with adhesive (recommend a little of both).
    Good Luck w/ the project.

Done this before
    TechnoMage

PS.. Lowes has the paint, its called IDEA paint. Its a bit pricey but might work for you. It says it covers 20 sq ft. $75.

5. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 25, 2011

This year I used a dry erase peel off paper. It worked well although it was difficult to stick it on the board. It doesn't erase well with just a dry erase eraser but it looks great if a liquid cleaner is used.

The installation is similar to wallpaper and it's hard to remove bubbles.

I found it at the teacher's store and it seemed the most economical option. Here's the one I got.

http://www.amazon.com/Gowrite-Erase-Rolls-White-AR1806/dp/B0027HJ52I

6. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jun 25, 2011

Each Christmas I buy a "shower board" from Lowes and have it cut down to make individual dry erase boards for my students. It costs around $20 for a whole sheet, which is about the size of a dry erase board.

7. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Jun 25, 2011

I once went to Home Depot and asked for "shower board" and the employees had no idea what I was asking about! What is it called in the store?

8. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jun 26, 2011

I don't remember the actual name. I've heard others refer to it as shower-stall laminate.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2011

Tile backer board. Take a dry erase marker with you to try it out first.

10. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 27, 2011

They will cut the whiteboard for you at Home Depot. My 8 by 4 panel only cost $12 ! And when I got laid off, I took it with me. Just be careful, it chips easily.

11. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jun 27, 2011

I did what Marci07 did. It cost about $30 to do the whole (large) board. Mine erased fine from August til about February, then I had to start using the dry erase wipes. I'm going to do the same thing again this year.

12. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 27, 2011

When you glue it, spread the glue out like you do on wall paper. In our school they just squirted a squiggle of glue and slapped it on the chalk board. As the year went on, the boards warped. They finally scrounged up white boards from the county storage area to replace the warped boards. The sizes of the new boards varied, so some teachers still have warped boards. Hint: Ace hardware sells a spray called Countertop Magic. I found it cleaned the shower boards and it left a coating that helped seal the board so it erased better. I've not found the spray anywhere else. Costs about $6.