Dry erase markers on laminated posters

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Jenny G, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 2, 2006

I have seen other teachers use dry erase markers on laminated posters. How easy does this come off at the end of the year?

I was thinking of using it on a birthday chart but I'm not sure the writing will last all year or that it will come off at the end.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2006

Check the poster: some of the laminated posters (such as academic year calendars) do better with wet-erase overhead markers than with dry-erase markers.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2006

I've had more success with overhead markers than dry-erase on laminated things.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2006

Dixon sold a nice set of eight colored wet-erase water-based markers a few years ago; you might check catalogs or online. The one disadvantage is that they fade in sunlight. But the smell's much, much less irritating.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 2, 2006

In my experience the longer the marker stays on the harder it is to come off. I used a laminated page of chart paper for my morning message and if I left it on there for more than a day it was really hard to erase.

7. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

If you are writing with dry erase on laminated papers...dont leave on for very long. I left it on for about 2 hours, and it was VERY hard to get off. I would use wet erase. It stays until you wet it, and when you do wet it...it comes right off!

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2006

I used wet wipes to erase all things written with dry erase and those worked great.

9. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 2, 2006

Okay - wet erase was what I meant. As soon as I read the replies, I remembered that was what was used.

So, I'll pose the same question - How hard is it to remove wet erase marker at the end of the year from self-laminated posters? I know it's hard to get it off of transparencies months later.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2006

As others have replied, it removes very easily. I use wet wipes, too.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2006

Probably depends on exactly what you use for laminating, but I'd guess it shouldn't be a major problem. Transparencies pose a somewhat different set of challenges: for one thing, they're being cooked, if you think about it, and heat does have a way of setting stains, no?

12. MissV

MissV Companion

Aug 2, 2006

I recently discovered that it is REALLY easy to get permanent marker (eg. Sharpies) off of laminated posters (that I laminated in the teacher workroom) with just that EXPO spray. [and sharpie doesn't smear off when you write with it]

I think it's easier to get sharpie marker off that way getting dry erase marker off. I'm not sure about extreme long term use. The longest I've gone is 3 months, so I don't trust it too much... yet.

13. brandit929

brandit929 Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I write on laminated posters all the time with dry erase markers. The expo spray works well, but I also use canned hairspray to get markers off laminated posters. It works really well.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  14. MissV

MissV Companion

Aug 4, 2006

Okay I take back what I said about the permanent marker thing. Apparantly it's really hard to take permanent marker off of "old" laminated things, unless you write over the permanent marker with a new permanent marker and then wipe the whole thing off with nail polish remover....
    I guess dry erase markers would be the better option:)

15. Jame

Jame Comrade

Aug 4, 2006

When my kids mistakenly use a sharpie instead of an overhead marker on my laminated stuff, I take an Expo dry erase marker and scribble over the sharpie markings. Then, I just wipe off with a dry cloth. Don't know why it works, but it does! :)

16. ktmays06

ktmays06 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

I've always used window cleaner to get old dry erase (or old wet erase) marks off. You have to wipe it off before it drips to the floor though.. :)

17. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 4, 2006

I use sharpie markers and it comes off very easy with nail polish remover.

18. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 4, 2006

Sometimes I have gotten permanent sharpie marks on laminated stuff by using nail polish remover,or rubbing alcohol. I also found that using hand sanitizer works too ( guess it is the alcohol in it) and also those magic erasers work REALLY well to take permanent marker and dry erase marker!

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2006

Magic Erasers all the way!!! They take everything off of everything.

20. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

I use Sharpie markers, go over it with a dry erase marker,and it wipes right off!! Also... Lysol works too with FELT! Something about using FELT material.