Dry Erase Contact Desktops!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 17, 2012.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2012

Dry Erase Desktops!

I was watching a video on Teacher Tube the other day, and noticed that all of the student desks (and the teacher kidney table as well) had dry erase tops!!! How wonderful! That eliminates the need for individual dry erase boards, and looks sooooo clean when they are wiped off! Anyway, I do not have access to new desks or a new teacher table, so I went (internet) searching for solutions to my (newfound) dilemma - how do I accomplish this? I found the solution on Amazon - dry erase contact paper! Here is what I ordered:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00377TWSE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It arrived today. I haven't used it yet, but I'm excited at the possibilities!

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 17, 2012

Oh, that's neat.

It wouldn't help me for my needs - I use individual boards so students can do their work and hold it up to show me. I wouldn't be able to see everyone's response if it was on their desks.

Thanks for sharing!

4. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

I'd love to see that video. Do you have the link?

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 17, 2012

Very cool, I can imagine lots of great ways to use it!

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2012

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  7. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

I wonder if you could cut it into paper sized pieces and then put it on a guided reading table. I saw someone who did something similar but with dry erase paint. I thnk this would be much easier without having to do a lot of prep work.

I would love to have it spaced out around my kidney table for each chair. THat way, I would not have to pass out my white boards and take them back up each time.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2012

I'm sorry, y'all - actually, it's a video (on Teacher Channel) about differentiating (common core) math instruction using computer games - but it shows some great stuff in the classroom as well.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2012

I can't get the specific video to come up right now :(

10. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 17, 2012

But the mess on the clothes from kids rubbing on it.

Also good point about not being able to hold up to show teacher.

IMO, cute but not practical.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 17, 2012

I was thinking maybe at my reading table, I can see it from where I sit and if I cut it and put it a few inches up from the edge, it shouldn't get on their clothes. It would also be good on the side of a file cabinet to make an extra whitebaord for the kids to write on.

12. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 17, 2012

Use the Dry erase crayons and no mess on the kids.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2012

Oooh, good idea, Irissa! Do they erase the same as markers? I use (new) boys' socks as erasers for my kiddos.

14. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 18, 2012

Is it easily removable? Will you need the school's permission to adhere it to the desks?

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2012

I have the dry erase desk tops. I went to Walmart and bought some quilting fat quarter bundles (five pieces of fabric), cut them in quarters, and hand them out to kids when we use the dry erase markers so they don't get marker all over themselves. The kids will literally do ANYTHING I say to have the chance to write ON their desks! :)

16. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 18, 2012

Love this idea! I need to try the dry erase crayons too. I wonder how well it would stick to a wall. I am thinking about putting up a piece in my circle area too.

17. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 18, 2012

I'm not saying don't use what you have, but I'm thinking about the ramifications in the future for the kids that are taught to write on their desks and need to discriminate and not do it in the future with desks that do not have special tops. You know, unintended consequences. While most kids will have no problem with that, the ones that will struggle the most with the change in the future are the ones that tend to generalize ideas. You know, the kids that struggle with so many other things.

Please don't take this as me bashing you for using what you have, I'm just generalizing this idea of writable desktops and looking at the unintended consequences. These kids need to be taught really well that these are special desks and most likely this will be the only place they will EVER be able to do this.

18. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 18, 2012

Also, (not sure why I didn't mention this is my previous post) dry erase markers work on regular wood laminate desktops. I did write-on-desk activities several times this year and had the kids write straight on the desk. Of course, I teach 6th grade, so I hopefully don't have to worry about them being confused by writing on furniture. The only thing I would suggest if you go this direction is to use only black dry erase markers. The colors tend to stain. They still erase, but you sometimes have to use some sort of board or surfact cleaner to get it completely clean.

19. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jul 18, 2012

My son's SPED teacher writes on the desks with dry erase marker all the time. She has them do it too for small group.

20. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2012

I write on my table and desk tops all the time. I just use the white board cleaner to wipe it off.

21. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 18, 2012

I love this idea! I could use that paper to try to make my own dry erase boards for students - cheapest ones I could find were $2 each, and I know I would need probably 30 of them, so that gets costly.

22. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 18, 2012

They sell them at dollar stores and in the Target dollar section for $1

23. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 18, 2012

I'll have to check Target! I haven't been able to find them in my local dollar stores :(

24. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 18, 2012

My colleague did what you are mentioning. She bought her dry erase contact paper from Really Good Stuff. She felt that she had instant feedback and could make corrections to work right away. I am hoping to do it this year on my reading table. She also had enough left over to cover the back of her door. The kids loved "doodling" on it during indoor recess.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  25. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 19, 2012

Thank you for this thread! Great ideas. 1st-yr-teacher, you inspired me to go looking for sheets to put on my guided reading table.

pwhatley, I have a class set of individual white boards. I used sharpie to write sections onto it: Steps 1. 2. 3., Where do I put it when I'm done?, and What can I do if I finish early? The kids bring these to wherever a lesson is being taught. They write on it, so they can take it back to their workspaces to refer to. I also write it on the easelboard. No more "Where do I put it??" or "I'm done!!!" :)

Anyway, I found the dry erase peel & stick sheets from Avery at Office Depot for $6.99/4 pack. I stuck one to the front of a clip board. Now the kids can come to the circle with their clip boards, write the directions, etc, on the white board surface, and clip any worksheet/paper to the clipboard. They can write on the paper over the whiteboard and nothing bad happens. If the whiteboard was on the back, it would erase on their pants.

I'm so excited to try this system out. Again, thanks for the great ideas!

26. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jul 19, 2012

I am looking for new large whiteboards as the ones we currently use are A4 size, metal and the kids bend them if they lean on them when we are on the carpet. We had to throw 2 away this week as they cracked and split - a sharp hazard. I was thinking of getting some MDF cut 40 cm x 30 cm at the local hardware store into the size I want and then cover it with the contact. Thanks for the info of where to get the contact.

27. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jul 19, 2012

I FOUND WHITE BOARD PAINT!!!!!!!

My dad and I were in Lowes yesterday for a completely different reason but it was displayed in the paint department. I didn't check the price but it might be worth checking in to if you're really interested in changing your room! (check with admin first on this one)

28. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 19, 2012

White board paint is incredibly expensive, from what I've seen.

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2012

Sheet protectors can make workable personal whiteboards. Use cardboard or a couple of sheets of cardstock as a core, and then you can slip in sheets lined for handwriting practice, for graphing, for graphic organizers, or for whatever. Office-supply stores sell them by the box, in several sizes: letter (8.5" x 11"), legal (8.5" x 14": pretty close to A4), and in a half-page size (about 6.5" x 8.5").

30. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 19, 2012

For the dry erase crayons... use a tiny bit of water on the end of the sock and it washes of easy.

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2012

The rolls I found at Amazon are much bigger (and cheaper) than the ones at Really Good Stuff. I bought washable dry erase markers and dry erase crayons so I can try them both out.

32. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 19, 2012

Staples will be selling self adhesive dry erase sheets for $1 starting Sunday. I think I'll pick up a few for my small group table.

33. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

Iteach, I am not finding that sale in my flyer - hope they will have them here!

34. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

Teachershelly, make sure you're looking at the upcoming 7/22 ad. It's showing up on page 3 of the ad for me.

35. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

Iteach, oh, I see something... it is for a calendar and note size decal set. It comes with a whiteboard marker. Is that what you have, too?

36. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

37. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

Teachershelly, that's it. I didn't realize it included a calendar.

38. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

Oh, thanks for writing back - the decal is too small for my use. I put the decals (8.5x11) on the front of my clipboards.