Dry Erase Boards-Markers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ayotte04, Jul 29, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Hi all,

Sometimes I feel like I'm on a crusade to find the absolute best prices on school supplies :unsure: Here is my latest update on Dry-Erase boards.

I went into the Dollar Tree today and they have the mini-ones for $1 :up: Another Poster mentioned going into Home Depot and looking for ShowerBoard...When I did this the other day, again the staff looked at me like I was from Mars...BUT- he did show me that there is this bottle of stuff for like $20 you can spray onto wood and make your own dry erase board. I thought it was interesting.

Here's the last comment/question...Dollar Tree had dry erase markers (packs of 4) for $1. I think that's a steal, my only concern is if they will be a cheap brand and not wipe off well/write well...etc.

So if you have any info regarding that please let me know.

:thanks:

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2007

Our school provides the markers... but they give us cheap ones. I gave each child one for their slate, and within weeks, they were dry or wouldn't write. I was very specific about capping them, so I know it wasn't that. They also don't write as well as the more expensive pens.

I splurge and buy the expo low-odor dry eraser markers. I have had some for 2 years. But- I also buy a lot of them in every color, so it may be that I don't use each pen over and over again...

In terms of white board slates, I have a few different kinds. I have the slates from Lakeshore, which I know I spent too much on, but have held up well. I also buy their little mini-erasers. I have bought a class set of the erasers and it has also lasted two years. I have a classroom job that involves counting supplies like scissors, erasers, etc, otherwise I lose them. I also have some cheap ones from the dollar store that are magnetic. They have some scratches in them, so I no longer use them for writing (lasted less than a year) but they are great for making words.

For some things, I just fork over the $. White boards seem to be one of those things. I had considered laminating white posterboard and then having them use visa via pens on it, and wiping with a baby wipe. I think this would be the cheapest solution, if your school has a laminator.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

White boards, both magnetic and non, from really good stuff are .... well, really good. I just got the Expo boards with 1 pen each for 99 cents at Walgreens.

5. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

ask for shower panels at home depot. If they still don't understand ask them were the shower building stuff is. It should not be more than about $15 for a sheet. I got 36 1x1 boards for $12, but they used the term shower panel.

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

I got tons of confused looks when I went for mine....so I looked around, luckily I ran into a guy who had just subbed for my inclusion teacher the day before....but he knew where it was. I have now learned it is usually in the lumber department, were the trim is on the bottom. Look for paneling or peg board, it is right by those.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

Our school provides dry erase markers for teacher use. I have definitely noticed that some brands are better than others, although quality is not always determined or indicated by price. There's one brand of dry erase markers with sort of a contour shape and they come in a 4-pack (green, red, blue, black). These ones are a "good" brand, but I hate them. They're extremely liquidy and don't dry on the board right away, so I always smear my writing. Also, they leave a gummy residue on my erasers. Yuck!

I prefer the Expo brand or the Staples brand. Expo lasts longer for me, but Staples is where our school normally purchases them in bulk.

For the record, I use my board a LOT, so I go through dry erase markers on a weekly basis. I haven't found one that lasts more than about 2 weeks, period.

8. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I have tried several brands and none stack up to the Expo brand for longevity.

9. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I've also learned (by reading my SmartBoard instructions) that the high odor dry erase markers erase more cleanly that the low odor ones.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

I've gotten a 12 pack of markers from dollar tree in the past. To me they dry up faster, and must be stored upright because their the kind thats filled with liquid. They write and wipe off great though, andthat's my main concern.

11. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

ah interesting. where might one find these "high odor" markers?

12. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

you got a 12 pack for $1? Should I pay you for the shipping ? hahaha

13. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 29, 2007

They are the regular Expo markers. Usually the low odor ones are marked and usually the dicount brands are low odor.

14. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

hmm yes...it seems all the Expos that I have are low odor. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled then.

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

I just got some Crayola BOLD color markers at Office Max on clearence for $3.90 for eight. They are the regular ones, maybe thy have one near you??

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

The Expo bold color markers are hard to get off, at least on my board.

17. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Are the showerboards magnetic?

18. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Home Depot or Lowes- ask for "shower tile board" and ask to get it cut into 12 foot sections. They gave me the looks too, but they did cut it! I was nervous, but glad I went through it. 32 boards for $10

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2007

Not likely. They're probably either thin wood product or plastic with a non-porous finish. For that matter, "magnetic" dry-erase boards aren't really magnetic, either - but they are steel with an enamel finish, sort of like your refrigerator, so magnets will stick to them.

I suppose it might be possible to use a sheet of steel roofing material and make a magnetic dry-erase board using the spray that ayotte mentioned - though it probably doesn't work as well on metal as it does on wood.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2007

Just don't make the mistake of getting aluminum. Teehee........ (Get it, TG?)

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2007

(chuckling) Serve me right for not rummaging up a link to that thread.

22. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Well, I travel (Spanish teacher) and I was hoping to make a word wall to attach to my cart that I could easily add laminated sentence strips to with magnets on the back. ( This way I can also use the vocab words in games and such also) So I guess it wouldn't necessarily have to be dry erase, only magnetic. However, I liked the idea of using one side to write on and one side for my words. Some teachers have stuff on the board that isn't ready to be erased, so I have no place to write.

23. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

TG, is the steel roofing material heavy? I would use magnets to attach it to my cart.

24. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2007

Yeah steel can be heavy. Your best bet is to go to a home improvement store, bring magnets, and check the sheet metal they have. Flashing material, that comes in a roll, could be put all around your cart, and is lightweight....not sure how magnetic it is. Go try it out.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2007

If you're going to the hardware store to check out flashing material, make sure you take a magnet...

For the purpose you describe, however, flesteach, I'm not sure a magnetic board is the best option: you might do better with a pocket chart (http://www.abcteacher.com/catalog/cd-pc.shtml).

26. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

The shower board is not magnetic but it works great for lap boards. Anyone have any ideas on cheap erasers for each kid? Another teacher used old socks (which I didn't like too much but worked.) Another teacher used the mini erasers you get in a class set but in Kdg. they didn't hold up too well.

27. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2007

Sponges, the cheap ones from the doller store. Pieces of felt, even the sticky back felt put back to back to make a thicker one.

28. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 13, 2007

At CostCo yesterday I bought a pack of 19 Expos (14 chisel/5 fine) that came with an eraser for $11.

29. Teach0831

Teach0831 Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I bought those Dollar Tree dry-erase markers last year. I stored them in my closet until May (when I thoght my first graders would be ready to use them properly). (They are white with caps the color of the ink - blue, red, black.) They were fine - the only one that gave me a problem were the red ones. They stained a bit - but I did have the kids using them on Home Depot made dry-erase boards. Perhaps they would have come off regular dry-erase boards. Just make sure you have some dry-erase spray nearby.

30. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

A very inexpensive alternative to individual white boards are paper plates! The shiny kind. The markers don't always come off crystal clean, but they are a wonderful idea. Get some and try it!

31. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 13, 2007

I have used white disposable plastic plates for quick lapboards that don't require much writing area. The plates are very easy to stack & store. A couple years ago Dollar Tree had dry erase markers with felt erasers in the caps. I haven't been able to find them recently. I have some with the sponge tops but they don't seem to erase as well. I save used fabric softener sheets for erasers.
    I have also made my own out of poster board with lines the size & colors I wanted. I laminated them twice- they are easier to erase that way.

32. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

Can you wash the felt?