Drug projects

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by angeluv73, Nov 18, 2009.

1. angeluv73

angeluv73 Rookie

Nov 18, 2009

I want to do a drug poster project with my AVID middle school students. Anyone already do this? Can you share ideas or what you do in your class. My idea is that they would research a particular drug and make a poster including all the information I ask them to find. :)

3. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 18, 2009

Have students divide a poster into four puzzle pieces (showing the components interconnect, and cannot have one without the other.) Top left corner is for the name of the drug and how it is consumed. Top right corner is the class of the drug- stimulant, hallucinogen, depressant, analgesic; and why someone would choose to use that class of drug and then what happens after coming down from that. Bottom left is history, bottom right are details about effects on the body and on society.

Make 'public-service' type posters encouraging avoidance of a drug for a variety of reasons particular to that drug. "Don't abuse alcohol because..."

Most drugs you can Google and find a long list of nasty constituents (arsenic or rat poison, ammonia or oven cleaner, formaldehyde or preservative all in tobacco smoke) and the kids can put that long list on the back of the drug poster.

If you want to get creative, have them do a parody of "Got Milk, does a body good" ad with a "does a body bad" ad. Show a cigarette smoker and label yellow teeth, tar in lungs, nicotine in blood stream etc.

Just caution them that just because they are learning about drugs in a fun way doesn't mean this isn't a serious topic, as it is indeed. Teens can die from their very first exposure to an inhalant, for instance.

4. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Dec 20, 2009

have kids create a JUST SAY NO newspaper

5. Camel & Walrus

Camel & Walrus Rookie

Dec 30, 2009

Given statistics on drug use I doubt a 'just say no' poster would be very practical let alone educational. I really like Wrice's idea of the four corners.