Drowning

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by ssgirl11, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jan 15, 2018

Hello, everyone!
    I have been a reader on this forum for awhile, but recently decided to start an account.
    Here is my situation:

I am a first year teacher. I LOVE teaching, and still feel my passion for it after being in the field for a few months. My issue is that I am also the middle school cheer coach at my school. Last year, I was subbing at my school, and I took the coaching job to get a leg-up on my full-time position, and to get more involved with the community. I haven't cheered since middle school, and I have ZERO experience coaching. I am the only coach, no assistant coach and not much support from anyone else. We have been practicing since mid-July, football season in August, then we went straight to basketball season in December. With basketball season, we have had 2 games a week (lasting until 7:30, later if it is an away game) plus one practice. The girls are getting increasingly harder to control, because we have been together for so long. The season has had its bouts of drama, and has not been at all easy. The AD does not communicate with me when there are schedule changes or cancellations. The thing that I find the most frustrating is that I feel this is distracting me from being the best teacher I can be. I feel like everything I have done in the classroom during basketball season has been the bare minimum, because I have no time to put into my schoolwork. I am so ready for this to be over. We only have 16 days left in the season, but it feels like an eternity. I am certainly regretting my decision to take the coaching job.

Has anyone else coached their first year and regretted it?

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 17, 2018

Not my first year but I later did. What I’ve always learned from doing extra stuff for money for my school, is that it’s never worth it. With the exception of after school program. That’s easy money.

alp123 and ssgirl11 like this.
  4. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jan 21, 2018

For what it's worth, I think your focus should be on your teaching career. I'm sorry to break the news to you, but taking on any additional responsibility with no experience, no assistance and no support from anyone is an exercise in futility and is doomed for failure. The 16 remaining games may seem like an eternity now, but will easily mushroom into your worst nightmare overnight with no "leg-up" in sight!

If I were in your unfortunate situation, I would meet with the principal and discuss the best way for you to relinquish your "coaching" duties ASAP and return to teaching while you still have the love and passion for the profession. There are already too many pitfalls that the first-year teacher must learn to avoid - coaching with or without experience should not be one of them. Don't ask the principal if you can give up coaching - TELL the principal that you made a terrible mistake and have made the decision that it is in your best interest to devote all your time to preparing for your lessons. As you will soon learn, the second half of the school year has its own set of unique challenges that seasoned teachers fully anticipate. Your principal should have prevented you from "getting more involved with the community" to begin with and is partly responsible for your predicament. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 21, 2018

I respectfully disagree. It won’t look good. Suffer for this final stretch, and get past it.

6. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jan 21, 2018

Thank you both for your replies. Been there. I agree I was kind of set up for failure on this one. Last spring I was willing to do anything to get my teaching job, so I took it. Luckily, tournaments are the first week of February. Our 7th and 8th grade teams are split, and the games are at different locations, so there’s a possibility that we can’t even go to the tournaments. If that’s the case there’s only 5 games left! I will just push through this, and no return to the position next year. I wouldn’t mind doing an after school activity, like History Club; at least I would know what I was doing!

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 21, 2018

Glad to hear you'll stick with it to the end. While painful and exhausting it's the right thing to do. Fortunately it's not too far away. And you'll know next year not to take it on! I have a friend who has been the JV cheer coach for about 3 years and she's stopping after this year. Too much time and stress and she is ready to pass it on to someone else.

Good luck getting through these last few weeks.

ssgirl11 likes this.
  8. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jan 24, 2018

Have you considered the effect that your decisions have had and will continue to have on your students? As you stated, your extracurricular activities leave you with "no time to put into your schoolwork". Never mind about how many days (and nights) of coaching are left - what has been the toll on your students?

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 24, 2018

I’ve seen much worse judged much less harshly on these boards. Ease up.

ssgirl11 likes this.
  10. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jan 24, 2018

Thank you, Always Attend. Absolutely, I have considered the effect this will have on my students, and I have not allowed it to negatively impact them. When I say I have "no time to work on schoolwork" I'm saying that I don't have as much time as I would like to work on my school work because of my after-school obligations, so it may be a bit of an exaggeration. I utilize my planning periods, and manage to get things done. I am a perfectionist, and feel like the lessons I am planning are bare minimum, because I have no time for anything better. I still don't feel that my students are being hurt by these basic lessons. If I had an entire season in front of me, I might think differently. At this point I now have three games left. I don't see a point in quitting now, since I have come so far; I don't want to weaken my reputation for 3 games.

Really, the purpose of this post was to talk to others in my situation. At this point, quitting is not an option.

11. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jan 25, 2018

AlwaysAttend, you apparently view my questions to be judgmental and harsh and disapprove of them. Since no one asked about the potential effect on students, I thought I would ask some constructive reflective questions. It never hurts to ask questions, right? ssgirl11 didn't take offense to my questions and even responded by providing clarification. Did someone assign you the job of evaluating and approving the questions that are posted on this board? Perhaps it is not I who needs to ease up - just respectfully disagree and leave it there. BTW, everything I wrote is factual - my response was based on the information provided. So, who is actually being judgmental here?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 25, 2018

When I think people are wrong I tell them so. It’s part of being a person with higher order thinking skills. I would encourage you to focus your attention on actual people who damage kids on this board. Like those who struggle to pass basic skills tests and then want to educate children.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 26, 2018

Stop attacking other people's 2 cents. It's Friday. Have a good day and behave.

[​IMG]

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2018

Ah, but it's quite possible to convey disagreement with a position without being disagreeable toward the person who holds it (or, for that matter, persons who fall short of one's yardstick du jour).

SpecialPreskoo is right: this thread needs to stop sounding like the lead-up to a recess scuffle. I trust the point is clear.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  15. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jan 26, 2018

My intention was not to start anything. I was just looking for advice and insight, and I appreciate both of their opinions.

16. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jan 27, 2018

I was beginning to wonder if anyone else would chime in one way or the other. To have not just one but two moderators respond is both remarkable and encouraging. This thread is a stark reminder of 30+ years of blatant bigotry that I endured while working in the public schools. Many of my highly-opinionated co-workers were always quick to denigrate those who held different viewpoints, opinions or mere perspectives that they didn't agree with and had no hesitation to tell them how wrong they were. Consequently, whether it be at meetings, in the staff lunchroom or in the confines of a carpool most teachers avoided talking about anything of substance in order not to rile their self-righteous colleagues.

Most posts in this forum seem to be from individuals seeking advice, suggestions, ideas and/or support with specific questions or issues that they are dealing with. These same individuals often request the opinions of other members to help them make important decisions. They are never concerned about whether we agree with each other, as they tend to have more important things on their minds (like quitting a job or confronting an administrator).

My point is, it doesn't matter whether we agree or disagree with a specific point of view. (Although we do have the option of clicking Like) What matters is that we collectively ensure that the flow of ideas, suggestions and opinions is unimpeded and that members feel free to express themselves without criticism and reproach. I applaud the moderators for taking a stand for propriety, but must also remind everyone that we each bear the responsibility of practicing restraint whenever we have the urge to chastise another in this public forum. Instead, we should allow the OP to be the one to assess the value of responses received.

In this thread, ssgirl11 is both grateful and courteous to those who replied to her call for assistance. She certainly did not expect to have anyone quibble over who is right or wrong nor did she need to be told whose opinion is "better" - let her be the judge of that. In fact, she sets a good example for the rest of us to follow!

We should all assume that those who submit a post are prepared to hear the good, bad and the ugly. It would be a disservice and would be dishonest of us not to be candid in our responses. It wouldn't be constructive nor realistic if all messages were bright and cheery. I see nothing wrong with a message that communicates the "harsh" reality or one that may seem to be judgmental - there are numerous examples of these in the existing threads.

In order to preserve the integrity of this forum, I suggest that the moderators seriously consider removing those whose antagonistic words and argumentative nature undermine its primary purpose - they're the ones who can easily be spotted by their irrational inability to "ease up" and insistence on getting in the last word.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    svassillion and catnfiddle like this.
  17. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jan 27, 2018

rr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.