Dropping off resumes

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by rockangel312, May 21, 2009.

1. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

May 21, 2009

I tried to see if this was posted before, but I didn't see anything. Hopefully it's not a repeat.
    Do schools like it when you drop off a resume in person? I substituted twice at this one school and I have applied online, but I was thinking of dropping off my resume. I didn't know if the office personel would be annoyed or if it was better to drop off in person.

Also, I have called to inqure about a position after I had interviewed for it, but I have never called after sending a resume. I feel as though it will just make the secretary search through piles of paper just to tell me they received it and I won't gain much out of it haha. Anyone call often after mailing off resumes?

3. love2sub

love2sub Rookie

May 21, 2009

I would do a little research on the district(s) you are interested in. For example my district is a large one and the main district human resource office handles applications and resumes. If there is an opening at a school the principal then has a pool to interview from. My principal almost always throws them away and discourages people on the phone about dropping one off at the school since they are expensive to print. Of course if you have a good relationship with the principal you might just make sure they know you are interested and get their advice or help. Good luck to you:)

4. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Jun 3, 2009

2 of the 3 interviews I got were b/c I dropped off resumes (didn't get either). The online application process is so generic it doesn't allow you to stand out. I walk in hand the secretary/receptionist my packet and say "I am here to drop this off in person to Principal XXX" Thank them and leave. Usually 30 seconds. 99% time they are friendly about it. I had one lady not look up and say positions were filled. Once, I went afterschool and the principal was there at the door so I got to speak with her for a few minutes.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

At this time of year life is hectic and a drop-in can be a bother. However, I do agree that in the new world of online applications it is hard to get noticed.

What I did was apply to the districts in the manner they requested, but would also send a packet in the mail directly to the principal. I included a mini-portfolio with lots and lots of photos. It was costly and time consuming, but it did get me lots of interviews and job offers.

Principals tend to get the mail in the summer. Make the package look interesting.

6. SubtoTeacher

SubtoTeacher Rookie

Jun 12, 2009

Yes, I would suggest you drop off your resumes. I've heard that this is a great idea (in the north Texas area).

7. nycsub

nycsub Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

People are very simplistic. Let's face it: if they like you, you are in; if they don't like you, you're out of a job. I've been subbing since March of 2000. I would urge you to drop off your resume and cover letter in person. Let the school and/or district see what they are getting. Also, proper attire counts. Why do you need to dress correctly to drop off papers? Simply put: people are simplistic.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

DROP THEM OFF!!!

Become "that nice young teacher who stopped by" instead of "resume #46 of the pile of #208"

9. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 7, 2009

Ok, I'm gonna be dropping off some resumes/cover letters/philosophy of ed to many schools tomorrow.

Any tips/advice?