Dropping off resumes (portfolios) next week!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shurweee, Apr 22, 2010.

1. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Apr 22, 2010

Has anyone done this and successfully landed an interview? I think I have a pretty solid portfolio that I've been working on for a while.

What did you say to t he front desk when you got there? Did you ask to see the principal?

Thanks! I am so excited! :D

3. Nguyenap87

Nguyenap87 Rookie

Apr 22, 2010

That's great! I was just thinking of sending them my portfolio or emailing them but maybe I will try that too.

Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes!

4. mistah

mistah Rookie

Apr 24, 2010

If you have the time and you know you are staying in the area...go for it...although timing is EVERYTHING....but I have heard most principals say that stopping in is effective...however, you need to plan that you will be "rejected" and principals won't see you. Also, I would probably send an e-mail first and let them know you are planning on stopping by. In the email you may want to ask to set up an appointment (or call).
    When you're there, make it real brief...you may only have a 60 sec. window of opportunity....Let them know who you are, why you are there, and why you're interested in their school in particular. Hope this helps. Good luck!

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 24, 2010

I did this and did not see one P. I dropped off over 10-15. The others I mailed. I landed my job but just e-mailing and saying I would be in the area during a certain time(although I wouldn't really be but I would be if they wanted to interview...lol)
    My P e-mailed me and told me to come in and interview that Monday and I flew out and got the job.

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 24, 2010

I did this and I did get to hand deliver to one P. : ) Having said that, the P did have an opening but I was not called back for an interview until later on. Good luck!

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 24, 2010

I never did this so I have no personal advice but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

8. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Apr 24, 2010

Thanks for all your advice. I'm thinking about e-mailing the principal to give them a heads up! I really will only be in the area next Thursday and Friday. If I don't make it to the principal, I'll at least leave my portfolio and smile with the secretary! :D

9. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Apr 26, 2010

Let us know how it goes. I've considered doing this, but so far have been too chicken.

10. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Apr 26, 2010

So I e-mailed the principal of a school to give her a heads up that I would be dropping by later this week. Unfortunately, the two districts that I am applying to have changed their hiring process and are strictly using a centralized system. Meaning I have several hiring 'steps' to get through in order to get into their job pool.

Long story short, principals don't have the power to hire me even if they like me, unless I get into the candidate pool. Wish me luck...

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2010

For my student teacher, I sent a personal e-mail telling the principal that the ST was an outstanding teacher, etc. and that he would be dropping his resume off tomorrow.

He went by in the afternoon and ran into two of them who were in the front part of the office, and they had his name handy since I had just told them about him.

So if you don't have a CT to do this for you, you might e-mail first. Oh, by the way, he followed up my e-mail with one of his own saying that he wasn't expecting an interview at the time, but he'd like to drop off the resume.

One has set up a time to come and observe a lesson taught by him in my class. (just a tad nerve-wracking!)

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2010

Even if you don't get in to see the principal, don't underestimate the opinion of his secretary when she mentions that "that nice young woman in the suit dropped this off."

13. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Apr 27, 2010

First, make sure they do have an opening (can't remember if you said they did or not). When applicants drop of resumes, etc., and we don't even have an opening, it annoys me a bit. I have so many other things going on.....I don't want more paperwork.

If there is an opening, dropping it off would be fine but don't ask to see me. Do speak to my secretary, though, as Alice said. She relays everything to me and I trust her explicitly. Make nice with her, wear a suit (again, as Alice said). Arrange a time with her to come back and observe a couple of our classrooms. Now you have the opportunity for another visit, where you may see me, and you will also get to meet a few teachers too. They are another "be nice to" group.

When you are visiting, display a willingness to learn. Be confident but not too much so. You don't want to come off as you are visiting the school because you are so much better than the other applicants and you really need to "check us out". Not that you would say that but body language tells a lot.

Be interested in what we are doing, ask questions, etc. Afterwards, send a thank you note and email my secretary. Let her know that you enjoyed the day, how hard you are going to work to get the position, how helpful it was to spend time on campus. Be friendly and relaxed.

Sorry this is so long....basically make a good impression, but you need more than one opportunity (just dropping off the application). People want to hire someone they feel comfortable with. It is a secure feeling when you know someone, even just a bit.

14. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Apr 27, 2010

Since I have a family member who does go to the elementary school, we've heard that they are definitely hiring for the 2010-2011 season. Unfortunately through the new centralized system, they won't be posting each individual school's openings.

I will most definitely be dressed and act professionally to anyone that I encounter. Thank you for your advice!