Droping off resume at schools

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mego65, Jun 5, 2010.

1. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 5, 2010

Ok I always E-Mailed the principals my resume, but this year I am going to hand deliver them. However, I am not sure what to say. Do you ask to see the Principal or do you just drop them off with the secretary? I just need some help with what you say. I am heading out to start this on Monday, two positions that I would love to have just opened.

Thanks for any help.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2010

I go in looking professional, normally what I would wear to an interview. This is what I normally say, "Hi, my name is First Last. I am a certified teacher looking for a ________ position(s). Is Mr/Ms. P available to discuss open positions?"

4. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Jun 5, 2010

I've tried two things:
    1) I have dressed in a suit and walked into the school and asked can I drop off a resume. Results: mixed. At one school, the superintendent took it from me, at another, the secretary to the super took it, and at yet another, I couldn't get passed the security guard (he called the super's office and they told him to take it).
    2) I e-mailed two principals and asked if I could drop off a resume at their convenience. Results: One principal told me to take it to the personnel dept (already did, see above!) and the other told me I was welcome to drop it off but to just leave it with her secretary (and when I did, I met another lovely security guard who took it from me!)
    I am not giving up though!
    Advice: dress professionally, smile, be as polite as you possibly can, and try to make a great impression with whoever you get to meet! Good Luck!

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2010

I was thinking the same thing, if a visitor stopped at my building the greeter (para sitting at front desk that buzz's people into the building) would take it, they certainly wouldnt let an visitor into the main office.

6. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 6, 2010

This is a rural school, so I don't think I would hit any security, and it is the summer. Well I am going to go tomorrow, and I think I will just tell the secretary that I am dropping off my resume in interest to the job posted. I don't want to push, so I don't want to ask to see the Principal, but I may luck out and get a meeting. Of course I will dress professionally and be as nice as can be. This is a job a REALLY want.