Drooling

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by LisaLisa, Aug 1, 2016.

1. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Aug 1, 2016

I teach an elementary aged severe special ed class. One of my students drools severely. Laminated activities aren't quite appropriate, anything paper or cloth is soaked in less than a minute. I'm wondering what my other options are.
    He's learning to match colors, shapes, and functional concepts. He may put his fingers in his mouth (has an IEP goal to work on this behavior) or just drool straight from his mouth. The table gets wet, he gets wet, we get wet. Everything, I mean everything, gets soupy wet.
    We use manipulatives and just clean them at the end of the day. No problem there, we have a great routine with what we have and we usually wear gloves or an apron when we work with him.
    I thought I'd ask in here about what other options I might have for learning materials. I have spoken with his therapists about the condition and it is something they are working on with him - swallowing.
    I've had other students who drooled, this current situation is extreme. He is a very sweet boy and we are sensitive to the fact that he can't help his condition.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 1, 2016

I have the same problem with one of my students. It's really bad sometimes because we end up changing his clothes a lot since they get soaking wet! Thankfully, he doesn't ruin too many of our classroom materials but I have to mostly work hand over hand with him totally putting is hands out of drool territory. I know several special ed kids who have these patches they put behind their ears to help control the drool. The parents probably don't know about it.