Drinks in Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mdawson, Jan 29, 2011.

1. mdawson

mdawson Rookie

Jan 29, 2011

Okay, another post inspired this question. How many of your schools/districts do not allow students or teachers to have drinks in their classroom? In my district it has never been a big deal. In fact my kids and my own students are encouraged to bring water bottles that they can keep on their desk. My daughters teacher bought every student a water bottle for Christmas this year for that very reason. That would be a hard rule for me! I like to drink at work :eek:...water that is :lol:.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2011

I encourage water bottles...there's a lot of brain research about staying hydrated...I usually have tea or coffee in a travel mug for the am....and a Diet Coke after lunch.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 29, 2011

Our official policy is all food and drink must stay in the cafeteria. I allow mine to have water bottles as I'd rather they stay hydrated and also not ask to leave for a drink of water. I've been observed with water bottles present and it's never been brought up, so I think admin unofficially agrees that water is okay. And as far as me, I start my day with coffee in a travel mug and then I refill with water throughout the day.

5. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jan 29, 2011

I had a to ban water bottles after kids kept spilling them. Also I have a student who would bring in a drinkable yogurt because it was in a bottle, and the other kids would complain about it not being fair.

6. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jan 29, 2011

We encourage the students to bring in a water bottle, particularly in Summer, and use it throughout the day. I use my water bottle when I remember it and noone would mind if I had other drinks (for me) in my classroom.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2011

Our students can have water bottles; some teachers allow juice, but I don't. I almost always have either my travel mug with coffee or tea or my water bottle.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2011

Nothing has ever been mentioned regarding adults. Children are not supposed to have drinks...although exceptions are made for "health reasons". Well, I reason that water is pretty darn important to our health, so we can all have plain water in my classroom. It's never been an issue.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 29, 2011

We allow water bottles, but almost none of our students use them. If they want something to drink, they just ask to go to ther water fountain.

10. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 29, 2011

Our school encourages kids to have water in class. I always allow my kids the "privilege" of leaving it on their desks, however, if it becomes a distraction then they have to keep it in the back of the room by the sink.
    Most of my kids are at the point where they are in the back of the room. Some kids end up sucking on the waterbottle, or they spill them on the desks or the floor. Personally, I find them a huge distraction but I would never tell the kids they can't have water. So I have to put up with it ;)

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2011

Kids can have water bottles with water. In fact, it is a requirement. This implementation is also based on the brain research that CZACZA refers to. If someone's district/school does not allow such a thing, I would highly encourage referring them to these important studies.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 29, 2011

I let my students drink anything with a lid on it, but if it isn't water it has to be stored in their backpack.

13. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 29, 2011

I allow my students to bring water bottles in. However, they know if they use their pencil to poke a hole in the top of their water bottle, it gets thrown out immediately! (Have had problems regarding this)

14. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 29, 2011

I encourage water bottles. At the beginning of the year each child receives a planner and waterbottle. We do not have A/C. In August it is over 100 degrees inside the building. Same for parts of May and June. During hot months our PTA is also is in the hallways giving away bottled water. Maybe this is why my state is always considered one of the healthiest:) JK

15. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Jan 29, 2011

I allow kids to go to the water fountain whenever they wish and they can have water bottles only if they have a note on file with the school nurse. I used to allow drinks, but I have been burned twice. I had a student during my student teaching in 9th grade bring in a cup of coffee that was about 2/3 crown royal and 1/3 coffee. I didn't know it until another student knocked the cup off her desk and it spilled everywhere. The room reeked with alcohol. The second time, an 8th grade student brought water and added a packet of crystal light to it. It turned out that the student had added vodka to the bottle before leaving his house that morning.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2011

We are allowed to have drinks. I keep drinks in my fridge, which is close to my desk. Before I had that, I just kept a big cup of ice on my desk and drank it as it melted.

Students are allowed drinks except for energy drinks. Most bring water bottles, although sometimes they have juice or coffee during the morning class. A lot of them get their breakfast in the cafeteria and bring it upstairs every morning instead of staying in the cafeteria. Around lunchtime kids usually have leftover drinks from lunch.

I keep paper cups in my closet. I often get kids after PE, and they are burning up. They get cups and go to the fountain during class. (The fountain is right outside my door.)

The custodian fusses about spills, but it seems that we inconvenience him with things as simple as regular upkeep . . . so anything "extra" makes him crazy.

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2011

I encourage drinking water in the classroom. The only stipulation we require is that the water bottle should not be frozen first because they get everything on the desk wet when they melt. This has always been our policy so the children know it and we don't have any problems. We also have snack every day, but for the last few years we only allow fruit for snack because we are trying to teach healthy eating habits. I do have two children with food allergies and their parents provide them with an alternative snack.

18. G00d d00bie

G00d d00bie Rookie

Jan 29, 2011

I think water is a good idea, but I guess some kids had Vodka, in some classrooms one time in another school. I never had a problem and was disappointed when the admin. took away the water privilege. The teacher would smell it wouldn't they?

19. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Jan 29, 2011

At the beginning of the year, our new Admin decided NO food or drinks in the classroom, including water. Parents found out about it, protested, and suddenly, the story changed to "we never said you couldn't have water."

20. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jan 29, 2011

I love my caffeine! I always have Mtn Dew with me. My students are allowed to have water, too. Most don't, though.

21. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 29, 2011

This is my beverage intake during the day as well. Students at my school are permitted to have beverages.

22. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 29, 2011

We just had a rule passed down from administration - no food or drinks in the classrooms unless there is a medical note on file. We had some four legged critters roaming around and this is one way we are combatting that. At the beginning of the year I had a lot of six-legged critters in my room so I banned food and drink in my room from the start.

I do allow water in water bottles. Not flavored water or anything else that can be sticky if it spills.

Students that do have medical notes on file can step into the doorway and eat a quick snack. That will be easily brushed out into the hall and I don't have to worry about bugs and rats. If they don't want to stand there and eat I suspect they aren't all that hungry ;)

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2011

Big shock, I'm in the minority.

But I honestly don't think that a healthy 14 or 15 year old NEEDS to sip water every 3.4 minutes.

There are water fountains in the hallway, and no class period is more than 38 minutes long.

Aside from medical exceptions, we do not eat or drink in classrooms.

When I was pregnant, I got permission to bring in a water bottle, and drank between classes. Likewise when I was recovering from surgery. And I occasionally do get a kid who has a medical waiver.

But aside from that, I'm confident that my kids are healthy enough to wait until the bell for their water.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2011

When we use the laptops, I make the kids put all the drinks & snacks in their lockers. They whine, but I assure them that they will live for 100 minutes without a drink or snack in hand.

25. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jan 29, 2011

I usually have a scotch right around third block. (LOL)

26. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 29, 2011

Mine would be rum and diet coke. (LOL)

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2011

My principal once came in after school while I had the fridge open. I had orange juice and tomato juice in there. He asked if I was mixing drinks between classes.

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 29, 2011

I allow water bottles and any drink with a lid/cap. I normally have a drink at my desk because my throat tends to get dry.

Side Note: If a student is constantly spilling his/her drink, he/she will lose their drink privileges.

29. mdawson

mdawson Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

It looks like everyone has figured out what works for them. I just can't imagine being told that I can't have a drink at my desk if I wanted it.

I do have one student with a feeding tube and we hook her up at different times during the day. I had a first grader tell me it wasn't fair that she got to eat during class and he couldn't :lol:

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2011

They probably don't need to sip water, but I haven't experienced any harm in allowing it.

In my opinion, telling teachers and students they need special permission to have water seems too controlling unless there are special circumstances such as technology concerns.

31. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 30, 2011

I usually have coffee in the morning and water in the afternoon.

My students are allowed to bring a water bottle, and I actually have given water bottles away as prizes. There is a drinking fountain in my room as well, so students who don't bring bottles can get a drink.

Since in CA we don't have specials, my kids are in my room every minute of the day minus lunch and recess. Going from 8:35-10:30, 10:45-12:30, and 1:15-3:00 without a drink is not something I could not do, so I don't expect my kids to either.

Oh and if they poke a hole in the top of their bottle, I make them throw it away.

32. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Jan 30, 2011

Students can only have water bottles. Teachers are not restricted in what they drink. I usually have just water or occasionally some iced tea.

33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 30, 2011

I couldn't have said it better myself!!! :agreed:

34. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 30, 2011

I teach in South Florida and my 3rd grades keep water bottles on their desks.

I asks that the tops are the "sports tops" that you pull to open because those spill less frequently.

No Gatorade, it has to be water.

In the early and then again the late part of the school year it gets ridiculously hot and humid here - and we still go outside for recess and lunch and my kids play hard.

Water is so good for so many reasons. :)

I try to encourage them to drink it to stay cool for sure!!

Personally, I start the day with a small coffee that's usually finished by the time the kids walk in and water in my water bottle throughout the day!

35. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 30, 2011

I just need a lot of fluids period. Water helps clean toxins that depressed people may have, plus, the meds I have cause thirst and cotton mouth as side effects. I'd just die without my drinks. I actually need a combination of water and juices to get through the day.
    If I worked for a district that had those rules I d try to get special permission as I get sick without enough fluids.

"District rules" feel more like prison rules these days. Isn't the country concerned about health and obesity in children? Water is excellent and healthy and for many ailments out there, it can offer some (small) benefits. I think most teachers have good enough classroom management to make sure kids are not playing/wasting water etc.

36. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jan 31, 2011

We're not allowed to have it in the classroom, and although teachers are not mandated, I've seen admins give evil eyes to teachers who have a bottle on their desks. Of course, athletes can have it during practice, but the cheerleaders and other groups, such as drama,chorus and band, even though they march outside in all weather carrying everything for at least 2 miles a day cannot. Double standard?

37. mdawson

mdawson Rookie

Jan 31, 2011

Wow, as a parent and teacher that would upset me. I guess I don't see what the big deal is.

38. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 31, 2011

I don't have a real policy on food or drink. It's allowed as long as they are adults and clean up after themselves. If they are slobs they know I'll put an end to it. Most clean up after themselves.

39. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 31, 2011

That is atrocious! I wonder what will happen if one of those kids passes out from dehydration? What is the reason for the ban on water even after school?

40. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Feb 1, 2011

Our janitorial staff is lazy. I do after school work with the drama department, and let's just say, the auditorium gets swept and vacuumed five times a year - when the kids do it before opening night. I break the water rule with the theatre kids quite a lot, and only one admin calls me on it, the others understand and don't bother me, as long as they don't leave the empty bottles in the space. The one admin is losing his funding at the end of this year, so he's been on a mission for the last year and a half to prove his worth so they'll either renew his funding or give him a job somewhere else.

41. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 1, 2011

Teachers can have drinks on their desks, with a lid, but aren't supposed to drink during class. I have bad allergies, though, and my mouth stays dry -- so I sneak drinks and don't worry too much about it.

Students are not supposed to have any food or drink in the classroom -- but I let my students have water, or sports drinks sometimes. I just don't see the point in keeping them from it when I would be miserable without having something to sip on.