drew a blank

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by teachmemath, Jun 2, 2005.

1. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jun 2, 2005

Hello everyone. I will be a first year teacher this AUgust. I was just hired in May. I just received a call from my assistant principal at my new school and asked me if i would move up and teach high school since they had a vacancy. I said yes since i was certified 7-12. Then he asked if I had any questions that needed to be answered and I said "no not yet , but when i do I will give you a call" :eek: . Oh my gosh how silly was that answer!! I could kick myself. I just drew a blank :confused: I didn't know what to ask. I do know I will be teaching algebra 1 and 2. So my question is what types of questions should i be asking since i am newly hired at their school?? I don't know what to ask. Please help!!! Any advice would be appreciated. I need to rectify this converstion with some questions to ask.

3. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

Jun 2, 2005

I don't think it was a bad response at all. The proposal for you to change to a high school job came as a surprise, so you were still processing and couldn't come up with questions. But you know you will have some once you think things over, so you left yourself the opening to call and ask them. It's perfectly fine to do that. :)

As for what questions to ask...textbooks? Which grade levels, or will they be mixed in your classes? Will you need to be doing your lessons on the same schedule as the other algebra teachers (assuming there are others), or will you be on your own? Will you have a mentor teacher, since this is your first year? Those are just a few things you might want to ask about...hopefully they can spur you on to others. :)

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 2, 2005

Ask about the make up of the school - what is the SES of the typical families, what is expected of teachers other than teaching (duties, meetings, etc), how do you get those "extras" you will need for your classroom - do you have a budget, do you get reimbursed, or what? How early will you have access to your classroom to start getting it set up and going through texts?

5. wacomac

wacomac Rookie

Jun 5, 2005

Hey, I think you said what most would have said. I do like mmeblue's response. You might chck out the materials and curriculum guides etc. and have your first six weeks of lessons ready to go. Don't be.... :eek:

6. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jun 6, 2005

Thank you all for your help. This has been helpful. I wrote down your questions and i will be giving the school a call. :)