Dressing up in costumes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mountainjoy, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Mountainjoy

Mountainjoy Rookie

Oct 28, 2021

I'm part of a kid's event on Saturday and my heart sunk when I heard we were supposed to dress up in some sort of costume. I used to enjoy the fun of costumes, but I'm just over it now. I'll throw on some barn boots, add a fishing vest, maybe a wig, a hat and call it good. How about you? Do you like dressing up in costumes?

3. Singvogel

Singvogel Rookie

Oct 29, 2021

I usually enjoy it, but this year, I'm just too tired. Our staff started to do the group theme thing, and I'm not that into it. I'm not dressing up at school this year. I'll probably just wear a Halloween tee shirt.

4. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Oct 29, 2021

I'm a self conscious person, so don't like this sort of thing. Agree with the previous poster, I'd probably wear a themed graphic t-shirt or something that is the barest minimum I could get away with:cool: or wear some silly accessory like oversized glasses or funny jewelry.

ETA: I'm that teacher that hates Pajama Day at school. I mean, it's fine for the kids who enjoy it, but I draw the line at going to work in any form of sleepwear. I just wear regular clothes that day.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. LaFish

LaFish Rookie

Oct 29, 2021

Yes, I do enjoy dressing up in costumes. I do prefer easy, comfy costumes like a tee shirt. Once DH and I dresses as an umpire and baseball player. Another time I went as a referee and DH as a football player. We also did a cat/mouse theme. We don’t do scary costumes.

PJ Day! I loved wearing jeans and a tee shirt under my robe. When I entered my classroom I removed the robe.

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2021

I have only done it a few times in my life. Once as a princess and once as an angel! If it was spirit week at work, I'd wear the right colors and sometimes add something funny I already had at home. ( Like those springy headbands that looked like an alien.) I hated PJ day at school with a passion. I wouldn't feel comfy being at work in a robe or nightgown. Plus, the kids were a bit too hyper on those days! :)

stargirl likes this.
  7. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Oct 29, 2021

I think it's fun so long as the expectation isn't taken too far. We're currently in spirit week and it's been nice to dress down a little. I wore jeans and my referee shirt for sports day- easy and no cost to me since my side gig is a rec. center. No pressure to do anything over-the-top or particularly involved. Today the P dressed up as our school mascot animal. I think that kind of thing helps student morale.
    On the other hand, the kids are definitely more unfocused on any dress-down days, not that they wouldn't be distracted the Friday before Halloween anyway.

8. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Oct 29, 2021

I like the "keep it simple" staff costumes. Last year we dressed as m&m"s by wearing a solid colored shirt and we stuck printed m's on the front.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2021

I like it sometimes. I’ll dress up if I’m feeling like it. Otherwise, no.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2021

I've done something super simple for school each year. There are tons of options if it's just a kids' thing and you just want to look like you're participating! Here are a few I've done:

-Wear black pants and a black shirt. Cut circles out of white felt and tape them on to be a domino.
    -Wear all one color. Tape an "S" on your shirt (you can just make it out of paper) to be a skittle or an "m" to be an m&m.
    -Get a clear plastic trash bag and balloons. Wear the trash bag (make leg holes, tie the top on both sides at your shoulders) and fill it with the balloons to be a bag of jelly beans.
    -Look at Walmart/Target in the costume section for just the cheap add ons. One year I got a $5 tiara and wand set, and just wore a dress I already owned with it. Another year I got a cat ears/tail set and just drew a nose and whiskers on my face in eyeliner.

GraceKrispy likes this.
  11. Singvogel

Singvogel Rookie

Oct 29, 2021

I ended up just wearing fall-themed clothing- shirt with sunflowers and cute scarecrow earrings.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  12. GraceKrispy

GraceKrispy Rookie

Oct 30, 2021

I really don't like dressing up. It's such a hassle. My mom used to make a bunch of holiday-themed sweatshirts and I'd always wear those to school- especially on Halloween.

13. happygirl444

happygirl444 Rookie

Oct 30, 2021

I don't like dressing up. If I could wear the same thing every year that I liked that would be one thing but we always have a yearly theme and it is annoying to make a new costume every year.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 1, 2021

I only wear costumes if I'm going to a costume party. For school I just wear a Halloween tshirt.