Dressing Professionally On a Budget

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by 1stTampa, May 11, 2008.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 15, 2008

I look in the newspapers for coupons and sign up for the stores' mailing lists. Lately, i have only been going shopping when I am armed with a few coupons haha. And with the kids I work with, I am not a slave to fashion. I have to be comfortable and clean. That's about it. I havn't worn a skirt or heels to work since I subbed in 2001. If I wanted to dress like a model I'd have to find a new line of work:lol:

2. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 15, 2008

I have the basics - khaki pants, black slacks, black skirts, etc. I hit the end of the season clearance racks at Sears, Penneys, and Kohls. Kohls is the hands down favorite. I can get sweaters, blouses, etc for $7.99 each at the end of the season. I like my khakis long because I wear them with boots, so I get those from a catalogue, but they get a lot of wear.
    I also hit the clearance racks for my kids. I have gotten whole bags of clothes for them at Penneys and Kohls for less than $50.
    We hit the thrift stores and occassionally get lucky. I have skirts from Ann Taylor, Talbots, etc that I got at the thrift store for $2.00 each. I look for more classic items and not the trendy stuff that the kids seem to be wearing.

3. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 16, 2008

Express has pretty good sales. lol I have their 1MX shirts in just about every color. But I never pay regular price.

Another good place is H&M. They always have good prices and sales. You can get a full suit for less than 100 bucks.

If you have the cash, I say go to Banana Republic. They have the best "teacher" clothes.

By the way, I commend you on trying to dress professionally. I cant stand when teachers come into work looking like they dont care about their appearance. Kids notice things like that and "adjust" their respect level accordingly. You're not their to "impress" the students HOWEVER you are a professional and people take you seriously when you dress better.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 19, 2008

In order of my fav. Old Navy,Kohls, Target and NY And company. (I am 21yrs old BTW).

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 20, 2008

I already posted in this thread, but also the clothing brand Denim & Co. is the style that suits teachers. Personally, it's not really the style I like, but it's afforable!

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

I haven't bought Denim & Co. either but today they started a new line I think designed by Clinton Kelly from What not to Wear. I may have to tune in to QVC and check it out.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

Steve & Barrys

good, ..college/teacher separates

for $8.98!!!!

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 21, 2008

I heard about steven and Berry (I think is the name its the 8 something clothes) on some news program. To bad they don't have one in my area of Lower Alabama.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

Did we leave out Value City, Marshalls, Mervyns and TJ Maxx???

Before Macy's took over Marshall Fields in Chicago, folks would say they shop their sister store..Tarjay (French for Target!) :lol:

I did not know you could use your Mervyns card at Target and Marshall Fields. I wish I had not closed that account. Didn't see in any stores in midwest..didn't realize they were related. :unsure:

I admit, I buy stuff from K-Mart.

btw...is it just me, or did a lot of retail stores, including Walgreens adopt the French blue dress shirt for a uniform???

how do you know who's the manager at McDonald's these days? :crosseyed

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 21, 2008

I love this thread! I don't get new clothes often, but when I do, they usually come from thrift shops, garage sales or clearance racks. I loath spending over $10 on anything. I'm also really big into clothing swaps. There are several in the San Fran area, and they are fantastic. I always have some items that I'm just done with, even though they are still in nice shape, and I've gotten great blouses and sweaters in return. I think they would be really easy to schedule, too. Some of my friends back in MI organized an accessory swap because we were all different sizes and the clothes thing wouldn't work. It was a blast.

When I teach, pretty much all I wear are circle skirts. Those are sooo easy to find on clearance racks, and you can go up or down a size because there's so much room for your hips (my main concern).

11. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 27, 2008

Now is a great time to hit the thrift stores in college towns. I went last weekend and they were overloaded with clothes from the college students and had all clothing 1/2 off regular price.

I got: 2 Ann Taylor Loft suits, 2 Casual Corner jackets, 2 Gap skirts, 2 pairs of slacks. I also got the kids two pairs of jeans, three shirts, a sweatshirt, and two pairs of shoes.

Paid $23 for everything!