Dressing like a grown up

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by SingBlueSilver, Sep 6, 2010.

1. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Sep 6, 2010

I'm starting a new job this week at a new school. All summer long, I've been in and out of the classroom getting it ready for the new school year. Because I am replacing a teacher who had retired, I had been doing a lot of physical labor such as moving furniture around, cleaning off years worth of dust and grime, decorating the classroom, moving in my own things, etc. So, while doing those things, I wouldn't dress up much, I'd dress appropriately for cleaning (cargo pants, tshirts, jeans, tennis shoes, etc.) Anyway, every time I came across a member of school personnel (not a teacher or admin), this person would comment about how young I look, often saying I looked like a student. I know that they are probably trying to tell me to dress up a bit so that I don't come off looking like a student, but the comments are rather irritating as they come about EVERY time I see this person (which is every day I am at school). I WILL dress more nicely and appropriately for a teacher once the school year begins, but to be honest, "dressing up" doesn't really help me that much. I STILL look very young. I haven't started school yet, so who knows what the person will say once I start, but what if the comments don't stop? I know the old "you should take it as a compliment" type things, but after a few times, this gets old. I'm serious when I say the person comments about how I "look like a student" EVERY TIME. I'm not a completely new teacher (it will be my 4th year) and this hasn't been a problem with my students or personnel from my former school site.

I'm new to the school so the last thing I want to do is offend this person, even though they are offending me. I'm trying to ignore the comments and to smile and nod, but seriously, when is this going to stop?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2010

It's not about looking older, it's about looking more professional.

The comments will stop because they won't be necessary once you starg wearing your "teacher" clothes instead of your "setting up" clothes.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 6, 2010

Yes, I think it will stop once school has started and you start wearing more professional clothing. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You know you're not going to wear gym shorts and t-shirts to work every day when the kids are present. Why this person felt the need to say something to you about this is beyond me. Even if they are the bossy. obnoxious type...one time would have been plenty.

5. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Sep 7, 2010

I had a fellow teacher at my elementary school tell me I looked like I was in high school several times and I never thought about it. I think they are just one of those odd people who say whatever's on their minds.